New Non Immigration O Multi Visa

A couple of questions please. If you already have the above 1 year are you:

1) permitted to get another one (mine is based on marriage if that makes a difference)

2 ) what is the earliest you can apply for a new one? Do you have to wait for your old one to expire or can you apply for a new one even though the current one is valid?

Thanks in advance 

You can apply for another one.

I believe the guideline for application is that you can apply if there is less than a month left on your old one.

If you have several months left it may not be possible to apply for a new one.

• Thanks 1

1.  Yes you can obtain new visas - there is no limitation on non immigrant O visas issued for marriage to a Thai.  Specific Consulate requirements do vary however and only some will issue multi entry without financial proof.

2.  You should only have one valid visa so wait until your current visa expires (any entry prior to expiration gets a new 90 day stay so can be well after it expires).  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Perhaps due to some people not be being sure what you are asking about.

If you are wanting to a apply for another multiple entry non-o visa at a embassy or consulate you can apply whenever you want to.

But best to wait until you have gotten the last 90 day entry you can get  from it just before it expires.

Thanks. I was trying to be very specific but perhaps I wasn't specific enough. 

If I wanted to apply 3months before my current visa expires am I permitted to as Sumrit says? In which case I would expect existing visa to be cancelled and new one issued.

• Like 1

Just now, lopburi3 said:

If using the same Consulate it is normally not an issue and they will cancel old visa but if original visa issued elsewhere the new Consulate may be reluctant to issue another or cancel from my understanding.

Thanks would be the same consulate.

5 minutes ago, stament said:

If I wanted to apply 3months before my current visa expires am I permitted to as Sumrit says? In which case I would expect existing visa to be cancelled and new one issued.

Yes you can, but as I said, your existing visa would be cancelled when the new one is issued.

For a few years I had to go back to the UK for a medical (insurance requirements). I used a multi non O visa for those years. Sometimes the medical was booked 2-3 months early so had that time remaining on the non O. I always went the (now closed) Thai Consulate in Birmingham UK for a new non O. Never a problem but the old visa was always cancelled when my passport was returned to me and I only had one year on the new visa, they said they couldn't add the credit from my old visa to the new one, or predate the new one to co-inside with the old one expiring.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Yes you can, but as I said, your existing visa would be cancelled when the new one is issued.

For a few years I had to go back to the UK for a medical (insurance requirements). I used a multi non O visa for those years. Sometimes the medical was booked 2-3 months early so had that time remaining on the non O. I always went the (now closed) Thai Consulate in Birmingham UK for a new non O. Never a problem but the old visa was always cancelled when my passport was returned to me and I only had one year on the new visa, they said they couldn't add the credit from my old visa to the new one, or predate the new one to co-inside with the old one expiring.

Thanks exactly what I was hoping to do if required.

56 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The validity of the Visa and the validity of granted permission of stay are different.

Although the Visa is valid for 1 year, you can stay for 15 months, 17 months with an extension.

Understood and thanks. but I want a new visa in this instance.

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

1.  Yes you can obtain new visas - there is no limitation on non immigrant O visas issued for marriage to a Thai.  Specific Consulate requirements do vary however and only some will issue multi entry without financial proof.

2.  You should only have one valid visa so wait until your current visa expires (any entry prior to expiration gets a new 90 day stay so can be well after it expires).  

so if I have a non-o multi that expires, let's say 1st of jan 2020 (delivered 2 nd of jan 2019) and get out of Thailand on 30 december 2019, I will get another 90 days, even the "visa" expires the 1st of jan 2020 ?

1 minute ago, justin case said:

so if I have a non-o multi that expires, let's say 1st of jan 2020 (delivered 2 nd of jan 2019) and get out of Thailand on 30 december 2019, I will get another 90 days, even the "visa" expires the 1st of jan 2020 ?

It doesn't have an "expiry date", it has an "enter before" date.  Therefore if you depart then enter on or before 1 January you will get another 90 days

13 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

It doesn't have an "expiry date", it has an "enter before" date.  Therefore if you depart then enter on or before 1 January you will get another 90 days

it clearly states

valid FROM

DATE 02 jan 2019

and valid UNTIL

DATE 01 jan 2020

do you even ever had or saw a non-o visa sticker ?

1 hour ago, justin case said:

Love your moniker!

Kudos

1 hour ago, justin case said:

By coincidence that's exactly when my current one expires! ????

6 hours ago, stament said:

Thanks for the replies all. Seems like conflicting opinions.....

That’s Thai Visa for you....I do know if you apply 30 days from expiration of current visa the new visa will expire 365 days from the expiration date of your current one.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, justin case said:

it clearly states

valid FROM

DATE 02 jan 2019

and valid UNTIL

DATE 01 jan 2020

do you even ever had or saw a non-o visa sticker ?

Whether it states 'valid until' or 'enter before' is irrelevant.

That date is the last day you can use the Visa to enter Thailand.

The Visa is then 'used'

However the period of stay granted by an IO on entry is valid for 90 days.

So you can enter on 1st Jan 2020 and you'll be given permission of stay until 30th March 2020.

If married to a Thai you can extend that by 60 days until 15th May 2020, then you must obtain a new Visa.

On 9/6/2019 at 8:09 AM, lopburi3 said:

Which consulate doesn't have financial requirements for the Non-Immigrant O Visa based on marriage? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

You are talking about the first 90 days, right? You need the >400k or >40k monthly for the 1 year extension. 

No, the Non Imm O ME Visa, valid 1 year, each entry permits a stay of 90 days.

Obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate.

No financial requirements at Savannakhet or HCMC.

If you use this Visa to maximum effect, you can stay for almost 17 months, 3 border runs, 3 x 60 day extensions. No funds required in a Thai bank.

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You are talking about the first 90 days, right? You need the >400k or >40k monthly for the 1 year extension. 

Not if you apply for a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

You have to leave the country every 90 days for a new entry.

You could get a single entry non-o visa and the apply for a one year extension of stay that requires 400k in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. No need to leave the country every 90 days if you get the extension.

20 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

That’s Thai Visa for you....I do know if you apply 30 days from expiration of current visa the new visa will expire 365 days from the expiration date of your current one.

I hope you're joking. You're talking about an extension of stay. Visas don't work like that.

i guess you've proved the " That's Thai Visa for you" comment. Some feel compelled to share their acquired ignorance.

15 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

No, the Non Imm O ME Visa, valid 1 year, each entry permits a stay of 90 days.

Obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate.

No financial requirements at Savannakhet or HCMC.

If you use this Visa to maximum effect, you can stay for almost 17 months, 3 border runs, 3 x 60 day extensions. No funds required in a Thai bank.

You never mentioned ME in your post. You just wrote Non-Immigrant O based on marriage. That's what I replied to. 

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not if you apply for a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

You have to leave the country every 90 days for a new entry.

You could get a single entry non-o visa and the apply for a one year extension of stay that requires 400k in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. No need to leave the country every 90 days if you get the extension.

I know, but the poster never mentioned ME. He just wrote Non-immigrant O Visa based on marriage. I'm not a mind reader. ????