New Non Immigration O Multi Visa

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not if you apply for a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

You have to leave the country every 90 days for a new entry.

You could get a single entry non-o visa and the apply for a one year extension of stay that requires 400k in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. No need to leave the country every 90 days if you get the extension.

I just got my passport back on Wednesday from the HCMC consulate with my new multiple entry non-o visa based on marriage. This is the third time I've been there and got my visas no problem simply by following the requirements they have on their official web site.

To my surprise, the "Valid Until" date is 29 Aug 2022 .... yes, on the face of it, that's a 3 year visa! 

I am fully expecting to be pulled up sometime I enter Thailand when an immigration officer sees the date or if i try to enter after 1 year I'll be told the visa expired on 29 Aug 2020 and it's just a misprint on the visa.

I'm not concerned if that happens but I was just wondering if any members had experienced this before and if there is a chance the visa will be honoured for the full 3 years.

Thanks for any feedback.

Edited by ChiangmaiRob

10 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You never mentioned ME in your post. You just wrote Non-Immigrant O based on marriage. That's what I replied to. 

Did you bother to read the topic heading!

New Non Immigration O Multi Visa

If you want to jump in and change the subject to the SE Non Imm O and subsequent extensions thereafter open a new topic. I also don't have a crystal ball and you never mentioned SE in your post.

No difference at Savannakhet or HCMC to obtain the SE Non Imm O if you intend to get an extension based on marriage thereafter, which is a permit, not a Visa.

Edited by Tanoshi

1 hour ago, ChiangmaiRob said:

I just got my passport back on Wednesday from the HCMC consulate with my new multiple entry non-o visa based on marriage. This is the third time I've been there and got my visas no problem simply by following the requirements they have on their official web site.

To my surprise, the "Valid Until" date is 29 Aug 2022 .... yes, on the face of it, that's a 3 year visa! 

I am fully expecting to be pulled up sometime I enter Thailand when an immigration officer sees the date or if i try to enter after 1 year I'll be told the visa expired on 29 Aug 2020 and it's just a misprint on the visa.

I'm not concerned if that happens but I was just wondering if any members had experienced this before and if there is a chance the visa will be honoured for the full 3 years.

Thanks for any feedback.

That is surely an error, and a pity you did not detect it before leaving HCMC. Unlike errors by immigration, getting corrections made to visas is a pain. Are you in Bangkok? If so, there is a special department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that can arrange to correct the error. If you have already entered Thailand successfully using the visa, I am a little surprised immigration had no comment. I certainly would not try to use the visa to enter Thailand after 29 August 2020, and would try to get the visa sticker corrected if possible (perhaps, if you are visiting HCMC again in the next few months) at the HCMC consulate).

30 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That is surely an error, and a pity you did not detect it before leaving HCMC. Unlike errors by immigration, getting corrections made to visas is a pain. Are you in Bangkok? If so, there is a special department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that can arrange to correct the error. If you have already entered Thailand successfully using the visa, I am a little surprised immigration had no comment. I certainly would not try to use the visa to enter Thailand after 29 August 2020, and would try to get the visa sticker corrected if possible (perhaps, if you are visiting HCMC again in the next few months) at the HCMC consulate).

I did actually spot it before I left the consulate but I thought, what the hell, nothing to lose!

I am also still in HCMC and could go back to the consulate and inquire, but to be perfectly honest, I'm willing to give it a go and see what happens. I'm in and out of Thailand and Vietnam on a regular basis and if I get pulled up at immigration and told the visa is not valid, I'll simply get a 30 day stamp and head back to HCMC after that and get it sorted at the consulate.

In my mind, I know it's an error and it's only a matter of time before it's flagged but the devil in me wants to take a chance and see what happens, after all what can they do .... it's unlikely they would stop me entering because of their mistake.

Edited by ChiangmaiRob
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiangmaiRob said:

I did actually spot it before I left the consulate but I thought, what the hell, nothing to lose!

I am also still in HCMC and could go back to the consulate and inquire, but to be perfectly honest, I'm willing to give it a go and see what happens. I'm in and out of Thailand and Vietnam on a regular basis and if I get pulled up at immigration and told the visa is not valid, I'll simply get a 30 day stamp and head back to HCMC after that and get it sorted at the consulate.

In my mind, I know it's an error and it's only a matter of time before it's flagged but the devil in me wants to take a chance and see what happens, after all what can they do .... it's unlikely they would stop me entering because of their mistake.

I agree that it is unlikely that you would be prevented from entering with an invalid visa when you are eligible for visa exempt entry. However, this is not immigration's error, and they do not care about errors made by Ministry of Foreign Affairs consular officials. I hope you do not meet up with an immigration official with the "devil in him" who decides he is justified in denying you entry because you have invalid paperwork. In my view, you are asking for trouble, albeit likely to get away with it.

• Like 2

How about the scenario that an IO lets you in, issuing the 90 days permission to stay? Then on the way out to do another 90day entry, immigration notice the Visa was actually expired and the permit is cancelled. You could be in an overstay situation. You have also tried to use an invalid/ expired visa. It is all very well claiming their mistake. They do not make mistakes, or rather admit to them, you should have checked. If in HCMC, I would have it rectified.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChiangmaiRob said:

I am also still in HCMC and could go back to the consulate and inquire, but to be perfectly honest, I'm willing to give it a go and see what happens.

I would have it rectified while in HCMC.

If Immigration spot the error and instruct you to have it rectified, then only the MFA in Bangkok, or the Thai Embassy back in HCMC, have the authority to alter the Visa. Not Immigration.

On 9/6/2019 at 3:35 PM, ubonjoe said:

In the past that date was written as the enter before date.

That is the last day that you can use the visa to get a new 90 day entry.

There is "the past" and "the past" that was before the past.

Up until 2013 it was a stamp that said " This visa must be utilized before__________"

In 2014 they started to use a sticker and the fields were marked "Date of Issue" and "Enter Before"

4 hours ago, Filterkoffie said:

Which would be better, more easy, less hassle? Savannakhet or HCMC?

cheers

It is easy to fly to HCMC, whereas most trips to Savannakhet are by bus or flight then van/bus. Most  find HCMC a more interesting place to spend a night or two. The HCMC consulate is rarely busy. If you choose the wrong day, Savannakhet can be swamped, leading to an unpleasant wait in the heat to make your application.

As against this, many nationalities need a visa in advance to enter Vietnam (usually possible as an evisa). If you decide you want to enter Thailand at a land crossing (not usually important with a Non O visa) Savannakhet is better.

4 hours ago, Filterkoffie said:

Which would be better, more easy, less hassle? Savannakhet or HCMC?

cheers

That really depends on your location in Thailand.

If your near to Phuket, Bangkok, or Chiang Mai, I'd fly to HCMC.

If your staying in Isaan then Savannakhet.

14 minutes ago, ian carman said:

Can you still get multiple entry non o’s in th uk?

Multiple entry Non O is no longer possible in the UK. The consulates have been unable to issue them for some time and, with the introduction of the evisa system, you can no longer get them at the London embassy.

16 hours ago, ChiangmaiRob said:

I wonder if Immigration might treat it as a possible forgery rather than a misprint at HCMC and want to investigate further. Will they give you a 30 stamp still while they're checking?

7 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

how was the letter of invitation from your  wife  written and presented   what was the wording  and signage ??

Believe only a short note handwritten in Thai asking that the multi entry visa be issued to you and signed by wife.

Much more to do in HCMC and easy direct flights but Savannakhet does not require USD payment or change of money from baht and normally very laid back stay.  Savannakhet Consulate busy on Monday and Thursday but should be OK other days.

19 hours ago, ChiangmaiRob said:

Thanks for any feedback.

What funds did you have to show out of interest and for what period of time do they need to be in place?

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

Multiple entry Non O is no longer possible in the UK. The consulates have been unable to issue them for some time and, with the introduction of the evisa system, you can no longer get them at the London embassy.

What's the evisa system and what's the rationale for no longer offering them when other consulates do? Seems like the usual lack of consistency. ????

4 minutes ago, stament said:

What funds did you have to show out of interest and for what period of time do they need to be in place?

As has been repeatedly said no funds are required at Savannakhet or HCMC.  This is for a multi entry non immigrant O visa.  At other Consulates they may not be available or require specific Consulate financial conditions.

The E-visa system is only used by about 3 countries at present and designed to be a newer wired world system.  Can not talk to rational on offerings.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As has been repeatedly said no funds are required at Savannakhet or HCMC.  This is for a multi entry non immigrant O visa.  At other Consulates they may not be available or require specific Consulate financial conditions.

The E-visa system is only used by about 3 countries at present and designed to be a newer wired world system.  Can not talk to rational on offerings.  

Thanks just clarifying as amazed no funds are required. Would have thought as Thailand sets the visa requirements they would be consistent across the world with finding requirements. Usual Thai logic I guess....

Still very interesting to know. Wonder why people who are struggling to make the financial requirements don't all go here or Savannakhet? ????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stament said:

Still very interesting to know. Wonder why people who are struggling to make the financial requirements don't all go here or Savannakhet?

This is only for those married to a Thai - many using retirement are not married so that option is not open.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

how was the letter of invitation from your  wife  written and presented   what was the wording  and signage ??

Wife's name.

Wife's address.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN.

I would be grateful if you could grant a ME Non Imm O Visa to my husband (name), for the purpose of visiting me in Thailand.

Gratefully,

Sign.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stament said:

Yes, fully understood. Fortunately I'm very happily married ????????

Looks like a trip to Vietnam is in order for me ????

Just be sure to bring $US cash as they don't accept THB, VND or credit/debit cards.

Check the consulate web page for details of what's required and you can also download the application form as well which saves you doing it when you get there.

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2019 at 11:20 AM, Tanoshi said:

Wife's name.

Wife's address.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN.

I would be grateful if you could grant a ME Non Imm O Visa to my husband (name), for the purpose of visiting me in Thailand.

Gratefully,

Sign.

I got my Non-O based on marriage a couple of weeks ago in HCMC and so a couple of points to note from the experience.

As for the letter my wife basically did the same as per above, however my wife wrote the request for ME to see her and our kids.  She wrote this on the back of the copy of her ID card.

If you are going to mention having children then be prepared.  I took our kids Birth Certificates with copies as well as all their passports.  Upon submitting the application and seeing it mentioned kids they ask to see their birth certificates and took the copies ( this has happened before in Savannakhet too).  They did ask if I have the kids passports, they examined the passport and compared the details with the Birth certificates.  

Even if you haven't written on your non-O application and details about children its worthwhile having their documents on hand just in case.  Even just verbally mentioning you have children may result in do have any of their documents.

I also took the wife's change name document and had copies at the ready.  I tend to bring a lot more than with me than required , eg birth certificates, passports, blue book , wife ID as more of just in case i am asked for it or something extra is required - after all its a longways back from HCMC even Savannakhet to wherever it is, if insisted on further documents.

Getting the NON-O in HCMC very fast no crowds.  Dropped off on a Thursday - walked straight in 10 mins out the door, probably saw half a dozen people making applications of sorts.  Picked up Friday afternoon saw a dozen people in/out 5 mins.

The visa label in the comments section indicated the non-o is for the purpose of visiting the wife and her name was indicated.

As I stayed in district 1 in HCMC the Thai Embassy was a 20 min walk.  About 10 mins from one of the main gates of the old Presidential Palace of South Vietnam.  The Thai embassy is fairly non-descript and its not immediately apparent its there until you're standing at the front of it.  The Japanese embassy   is only a block away (100m or so) easily identifiable on a corner location with their flag prominently displayed so if you see that you know you are very close to the Thai consulate.

Edited by shadowmaster1971
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, shadowmaster1971 said:

I got my Non-O based on marriage a couple of weeks ago in HCMC and so a couple of points to note from the experience.

As for the letter my wife basically did the same as per above, however my wife wrote the request for ME to see her and our kids.  She wrote this on the back of the copy of her ID card.

If you are going to mention having children then be prepared.  I took our kids Birth Certificates with copies as well as all their passports.  Upon submitting the application and seeing it mentioned kids they ask to see their birth certificates and took the copies ( this has happened before in Savannakhet too).  They did ask if I have the kids passports, they examined the passport and compared the details with the Birth certificates.  

Even if you haven't written on your non-O application and details about children its worthwhile having their documents on hand just in case.  Even just verbally mentioning you have children may result in do have any of their documents.

I also took the wife's change name document and had copies at the ready.  I tend to bring a lot more than with me than required , eg birth certificates, passports, blue book , wife ID as more of just in case i am asked for it or something extra is required - after all its a longways back from HCMC even Savannakhet to wherever it is, if insisted on further documents.

Getting the NON-O in HCMC very fast no crowds.  Dropped off on a Thursday - walked straight in 10 mins out the door, probably saw half a dozen people making applications of sorts.  Picked up Friday afternoon saw a dozen people in/out 5 mins.

The visa label in the comments section indicated the non-o is for the purpose of visiting the wife and her name was indicated.

As I stayed in district 1 in HCMC the Thai Embassy was a 20 min walk.  About 10 mins from one of the main gates of the old Presidential Palace of South Vietnam.  The Thai embassy is fairly non-descript and its not immediately apparent its there until you're standing at the front of it.  The Japanese embassy   is only a block away (100m or so) easily identifiable on a corner location with their flag prominently displayed so if you see that you know you are very close to the Thai consulate.

You shouldn't put the kids details on the application as it's specifically for accompanying kids. The kids documents are optional but obviously helps your case and I've take my kids birth certs every time but I've never taken their passport copies or the wife's name change document and never been asked for them. As you said, my wife also stated in her letter I was going to see her and the kids and every time I just breezed through the process, no hassle, no questions, no problem!

5 hours ago, ChiangmaiRob said:

You shouldn't put the kids details on the application as it's specifically for accompanying kids. The kids documents are optional but obviously helps your case and I've take my kids birth certs every time but I've never taken their passport copies or the wife's name change document and never been asked for them. As you said, my wife also stated in her letter I was going to see her and the kids and every time I just breezed through the process, no hassle, no questions, no problem!

At the end of the day easy process.  

• Like 1