India loses contact with spacecraft on mission to the moon

rooster59

6 hours ago, pegman said:

Am I the only one thinking a country like India should  have priories like clean drinking water and  proper sanitation before tackling landing on the moon. 

There is nothing new on the moon ....for this reason it is a good idea to let the private sector play with it ...as is done in the USA

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bajajvivek said:

As if there are no poor in the west

India's ISRO is helping western countries launch their satellites in space for fraction of cost and making mullions for the country

... and been doing it since 1975!

ISRO itself being around since during the 60s 

ISRO mission chronology

Edited by tifino
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pegman said:

Am I the only one thinking a country like India should  have priories like clean drinking water and  proper sanitation before tackling landing on the moon. 

I would've thought that the billions in aid sent from the UK would've sorted their water problem. Hesitate to think that it went towards this failed space flight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I would've thought that the billions in aid sent from the UK would've sorted their water problem. Hesitate to think that it went towards this failed space flight.

As is so often the case with Governmental "Foreign Aid", the priorities fiven to what it is spent on are, shall we say, less than transparent!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, transam said:

What a waste of money, seems they have no priorities regarding the millions of poor with no amenities.......????

So everyone is millionaire in your country? Even there are many in USA who terms funding of NASA as waste of money.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, malathione said:

Not to denigrate India's accomplishment, but the US and Russians were actually developing the technology as they went along. Room sized computers, punch cards, little computing power. It was a major challenge just to design a computer to be able to fit on board. But, even now, space missions are a huge challenge, incredibly complex even if India is simply replicating existing engineering. There is no shame in failure. Something to be learned either way.

I think the problem with India is that it considers the landing as a matter of urgency because it thinks it is in a race with China, whereas China isn't interested in any space race with anyone. India has to figure out how China had managed to land their rovers successfully on both their first and second attempts whereas others have all failed in their first attempts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Selatan said:

I think the problem with India is that it considers the landing as a matter of urgency because it thinks it is in a race with China, whereas China isn't interested in any space race with anyone. India has to figure out how China had managed to land their rovers successfully on both their first and second attempts whereas others have all failed in their first attempts.

That's a good point. I hadn't considered that at all; it isn't merely a scientific endeavor for them. Similar to the USSR and the US back in the day, then.

33 minutes ago, Selatan said:

India has already beaten China before....

The Indian mission was in certain respects much more challenging than the Chinese maiden lunar mission which was a simple national orbiter.

Chandrayaan-1 was literally a two-in-one mission, since the main satellite was to orbit at 100km above the Moon and then a tiny gadget the size of a computer monitor was to attempt a "landing" on the Moon's surface.

The mission did this on 14 November 2008. No nation to date had succeeded in both a lunar orbiter and an impactor at the first attempt.

They are all just making goalposts up as they are pleased, same as the US... Russia was the first in space, first with a satellite but yet lost the space race lol...

The mission has also made global headlines because it's so cheap - the budget for Avengers: Endgame, for instance, was more than double at an estimated $356m. But this isn't the first time Isro has been hailed for its thrift. Its 2014 Mars mission cost $74m, a tenth of the budget for the American Maven orbiter.

Also india doesn't seem to waste that much money...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, robblok said:

This will stimulate the economy and will help them have more money for the poor too. This is not just vanity research often helps the economy and drives it. On the long run this is a good strategy. I wish Europe would put more money into research of medicine for instance to beat pharma companies. Research is good on whatever field it may be.

When reserach goes for trhe direct way, I agree with you, but... nonsense to tell trips to the moon are good for the economy as... teflon etc was a spin off. 

And for a wealthy economy.. I can understand different selections as for a country, where hundrds of millions even do hot have the guarantee of two meals a day.

This indian space program is only THE GLORY for the top-elite of India.

Edited by puipuitom

11 hours ago, Tug said:

Sad I was hoping they would be successful it would have been a great source of pride for all the Indian people rich and poor alike 

The blame can be laid at Britain's door for this failure,

We should have sent 'em more foreign aid.

9 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Why is it that only the US is mentioned whenever space comes up, Russia did as much if not more in that area.

Russia did quite a lot in the early space race but USA (with most of the credit going to a former Nazi sympathizing German Werner Van Braun) dominated space during the Apollo missions and continues to dominate. The JPL in Pasadena has had quite a number of successful Mars rover and lander spacecraft exceed mission expectations. No other country has a track record like that. What they do is EXTREMELY HARD!! USA dominates space travel hands down. Not to mention the recent Pluto fly by and Keiper belt object fly bys. The JPL scientist are space rock stars and NOBODY beats them in missions throughout the solar system. USA is the leader in space far and above any other country. Just look at this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_missions_to_Mars

Edited by likerdup1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, pegman said:

Common knowledge about India:Almost80% of population have mobile phones,but less then 50% have toilets in their houses,apartments

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pegman said:

Thats why we pay overseas aid to them.

All of India's space missions, whether to Mars or the moon, have been at a fraction of the cost of comparable Western ones. I remember reading the one to Mars cost less than making the movie The Avengers. 

The fact that India still has many poor people shouldn't take away from its achievements in the fields of science and technology. Tackling poverty and carrying out space missions at a very cheap cost can go hand in hand. 

India has China as a neighbour, and China keeps passing weapons tech to Pakistan (also North Korea does that), so if they don't keep up with their own research, they'll be sitting ducks.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Thats why we pay overseas aid to them.

Please go to your country's foreign aid pages and enlighten us how much aid have you given to India in the recent past? 

India aids many African and poor Asian countries, and btw, just announced a $1 billion aid to Russia's far east region.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

Russia did quite a lot in the early space race but USA (with most of the credit going to a former Nazi sympathizing German Werner Van Braun) dominated space during the Apollo missions and continues to dominate. The JPL in Pasadena has had quite a number of successful Mars rover and lander spacecraft exceed mission expectations. No other country has a track record like that. What they do is EXTREMELY HARD!! USA dominates space travel hands down. Not to mention the recent Pluto fly by and Keiper belt object fly bys. The JPL scientist are space rock stars and NOBODY beats them in missions throughout the solar system. USA is the leader in space far and above any other country. Just look at this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_missions_to_Mars

It's Werner von Braun and the US wanted him because he's one of the best scientists to build rockets for them.

There wouldn't have been a moon landing without him.

But that's not even sure if that really happened considering the technology they had back in the old days.

Perhaps the US shot them down, weren't they trying to proof if the moon landing really happened? 

I've watched it when I was eight, but wouldn't be surprised when they "didn't fully tell the truth."

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1