UK lawmakers reject PM Johnson's request to hold an early election

webfact

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

I certainly don't dispute that the Tories are 10 points ahead of the Lib/Dems nor do I dispute that Boris is ahead of all other leaders by a coutry mile.

Screenshot_2019-09-01-14-35-07-181.jpeg

From the same website. More recent. SNP a rout. Lib Dems big gains since last election.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 2

Anyway now Party Time, as the party conferences begin next week...

This year it is going to be exciting with the prospect of a GE within weeks and first to kick off will be the Lib/Dems almost certain to be Revoke A50 but can live with a referendum (as long as it is for revoke A50).

Then Labour, we will tell you what our policy is when we win the GE.

The Tories, some MP's have been very naughty so no going to the seaside this year. this party conference will be noted for who did not attend than those who did.

• Haha 1

Looking back at the past weeks parliamentary kerfuffle I can't help but to think about the words of Donald Tusk when the extension was agreed. 

Tonight the European Council decided to Grant United Kingdom a flexible extension of the article 50 period until the 31st of October. This means an additional six months for the UK. During this time the course of action will be entirely in the UKs hands. They can still ratify the withdrawal agreement in which case the extension will be terminated. It can also reconsider the whole Brexit strategy. That might lead to changes in the political declaration but not in the withdrawal agreement. Until the end of this period the UK will also have the possibility to revoke article 50 and cancel Brexit altogether. The UK will continue its sincere cooperation as a full member state with all its rights and as a close friend and trusted allie in the future. Let me finish with a message though to our British friends. This extension is as flexible as I expected and a little bit shorter than I expected but it's still enough to find the best possible solution. Please do not waste this time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, vogie said:

I certainly don't dispute that the Tories are 10 points ahead of the Lib/Dems nor do I dispute that Boris is ahead of all other leaders by a coutry mile.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/general-election-tory-mps-could-lose-seats-as-no-10-polls-show-boris-johnson-on-course-to-lose-power/

General election: Tory MPs could lose seats as No 10 polls ‘show Boris Johnson on course to lose power’

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/general-election-tory-mps-could-lose-seats-as-no-10-polls-show-boris-johnson-on-course-to-lose-power/

General election: Tory MPs could lose seats as No 10 polls ‘show Boris Johnson on course to lose power’

And in the usual remainer fashion you'll dismiss opposing views by claiming the source of the information is evil, corrupt, paid for and nothing but a lobbying bunch of tw*ts. But I thought I'd chip in anyway just for the fun of watching your reaction.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/07/tories-extend-lead-over-labour-to-10-despite-chaotic-week

• Like 1

I watched the debate last night, Johnson being handed his sixth defeat.

His years long record of lying iced with a growing record of incompetence.

Added to which, while insisting on the option for a no-deal Brexit, Johnson refuses to let the nation see the advice he has been given in the impact upon the nation of no-deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Labour don't trust their leader and in all fairness who can blame them. If they thought that they could win an election they would have one, simple, they could put this total debacle to bed once and for all, they are scared. 

Don’t care how labour feel about their leader, not my problem. 

Already answered your point on why the opposition parties are waiting for an election. 

Edited by Bluespunk

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Remainer MP's call for a vote for 2 years and when they are offered one, they refuse it.

Absolute Cowards.

And what would a new election get for the UK? Those opposed to PM Johnson seem to be winning without the election they have been denied. 

7 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Most sensible people, including parliament, would reject a 'no-deal'. That's clear. But the impasse is how to reach a deal with the EU, when Johnson is intent of ripping-up the current deal on the table?

IMO, he should dump the DUP, for starters. Then dump himself.

Most of the British Isles want to remain British. Proof being that the opposition won't agree to a general election.

The opposition want to resuscitate the Withdrawal Agreement in order to remain in the Single Market and Customs Union.

But remain this time would mean not only keeping in place all the reasons the majority of the people voted for leaving (to retake the ability to make their own laws, negotiate their own trade agreements, decide for themselves how to spend their taxes and control who enters and leaves the kingdom), but in addition have no say in the laws governing them from the European Commission in Brussels and have no longer any way to quit the EU except with the permission of the European Council.

Edited by MartinKal
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, brucec64 said:

Parliament has 3-4 more years to go before an election is required. Are you requesting a do-over because you don't like to parliament that was elected in the last election? Seems like you are the losing side not consenting to a public vote. How is this different from a second referendum? That is true irony. 

The winning party promised "strong and stable" government.

Do you consider they have achieved either?

9 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

To be fair there is not much point having any more elections. The concept of the losing side consenting to the public vote which is the cornerstone of our democracy has been destroyed by remainers. This was the ultimate throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Just wait until one day they win an election and then are not allowed to govern(because the voters were too stump stupid to make the "right" decision and further elections are needed). Delicious irony for sure! The age of whoever throws the biggest tantrum winning their political aims will be a rocky ride.

The cornerstone of our democracy is Parliament, which the leavers have tried to exclude from debate and have now shut down. A referendum is NOT a cornerstone as it is only advisory and leaves it to Parliament to decide. And Parliament is not obliged to take the advice if it believes it to be against the national interest.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

So you think the remainers are running the show and not the government?   Nobody is stopping Boris going to Brussels and making a deal.  It is his own stupidity doing that.  

Actually the Remainers are stopping him making a deal, because they've taken away his trump card, his best negotiating tactic (No Deal).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MartinKal said:

The opposition want to resuscitate the Withdrawal Agreement in order to remain in the Single Market and Customs Union.

If you mean May's withdrawal agreement, it takes us out of the single market immediately and out of the customs union when a solution for the NI border is found. (2 years by Boris's estimate).

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

let's get out, pay them nothing,

It's a debatable point whether the UK will still be due to pay even with a no deal.  It's certainly not clear and the EU have said that it would have to be decided in ECJ.

Of course the UK can refuse to pay the bill but that's another matter.