Residency Certificate from Chiang Mai Immigration.

Just my experience.

Haven't needed one in awhile but need to renew my driver's license so needed to get one. Not sure what I needed so did some Google searching and found a few websites. Each site seemed to list some requirements different which is understandable with the different Immigration offices. I found one site that actually had the downloadable form. So I downloaded, filled in and printed it. Took all the copies of what I thought I needed. Rolled up to the ticket issuing desk at 12:30 pm and was quiet. Told to goto counter 4 which I did. Asked to see my passport. I handed the pre-filled in form. No no different. Was handed the CM required form and told only 8 to 10 am service, come back tomorrow. So today I went in and the queue was out the door so I just went straight to counter 4. Told to goto second floor. Went up there and young lady sitting alone took my paperwork and said come back in 3 weeks on October 1st. No charge just long waiting.

So what is required by CM Immigration:-

Copy of photo page in passport.

Copy of original visa in passport.

Copy of current extension stamp.

Copy of latest entry into Thailand stamp.

Copy of current TM30 (was actually number 1 on the list).

Copy of work permit or yellow book or rental contract.

As a side note I left immigration and there is a pedestrian crossing out front. There is 2 lanes traffic, median strip then another 2 lanes traffic in opposite direction. Very busy road. There were about a dozen people waiting to cross. A car in the left lane pulled up and the crowd started to cross. But the first car in the right lane was obviously in high speed pursuit to gain lost time. Well there was a screech of tyres, smoke and the smell of burning rubber. I think I also detected some suddenly released body odours from the front line of the pedestrians. Anyhow thank fully the car's brakes did not fail and he stopped an no injuries.

Edited by Dazinoz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nowisee said:

Thank you for posting this.  I'll be needing one soon too.

I wonder just what exactly do they do for 3 weeks.  

Investigate the validity of the work permit or lease and verify the living location of the applicant?  

No, because for 1,000 baht you can have it next day.  

Actually I was not offered the fast version today.

Again this swamp of a Immigration office. It is sad that Chiang Mai time after time after time, is shaming Thailand as a nation, with their behavior. 3 freaking weeks for a peace of paper, that takes them about 5 minutes to do......

Personally I would never in my lifetime sat foot there, or live there in Chiang Mai, it is completely destroyed by th worst of the worst thai people, that have ever worked within the Immigration-organisation......

OR, may I ask, is the quality of the immigration-people a mirror of what kind of falangs live in Chiang Mai??????

glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Sad 3

29 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

Many moons ago, they were free and you got them within 10 minutes.... But since then, greed have developed amongst the officers.

Edited by Vacuum
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Actually I was not offered the fast version today.

You have to ask, they no longer offer.

My pal did it last week, he paid the 1,000bht.

He was annoyed by the TM30, his guesthouse did the reporting, gave him a copy for immigration, then he had to queue to exchange his copy for a stamped immigration copy.

Edited by BritManToo

Best Friends visa agent (the old G4T) will do it for you for 1000bt. Just show up with your passport to their office near super hiway BigC; they'll take the photo and do the paperwork, then deliver to Imm. Two day turnaround, as they said paperwork ready next day, but usually after 5 O'Clock, or later. Beats the drive to and runaround at Imm, including looking for parking (unless, of course, you live closer to Imm vice Best Friends).

If you're a Yank, same day service at the Consulate will get you the affidavit that serves as a C of R. $50, but same day is nice. Went this route for driving license this past June.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Again this swamp of a Immigration office. It is sad that Chiang Mai time after time after time, is shaming Thailand as a nation, with their behavior. 3 freaking weeks for a peace of paper, that takes them about 5 minutes to do......

Personally I would never in my lifetime sat foot there, or live there in Chiang Mai, it is completely destroyed by th worst of the worst thai people, that have ever worked within the Immigration-organisation......

OR, may I ask, is the quality of the immigration-people a mirror of what kind of falangs live in Chiang Mai??????

glegolo

You must be one of the elite farang that live in Thailand. OR at least you think you are.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Best Friends visa agent (the old G4T) will do it for you for 1000bt. Just show up with your passport to their office near super hiway BigC; they'll take the photo and do the paperwork, then deliver to Imm. Two day turnaround, as they said paperwork ready next day, but usually after 5 O'Clock, or later. Beats the drive to and runaround at Imm, including looking for parking (unless, of course, you live closer to Imm vice Best Friends).

If you're a Yank, same day service at the Consulate will get you the affidavit that serves as a C of R. $50, but same day is nice. Went this route for driving license this past June.

I am going for my retirement extension next week and I use an agent. Maybe I should have waited and had them do it at the same time.

• Like 1

Just now, Vacuum said:

Contact your local amphur (sp?) in person for their local requirements. Bring a Thai to translate for  you  if you're not fluent in Thai.

Think I will stick with residency certificate once every 5 years.

17 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Get a 'yellow book', problems solved.

Not everyone can obtain a Yellow Book despite being 'qualified' for one. Some Amphur offices (such as my local one) simply refuse to issue a Yellow Book.

That apart, on the few occasions that most people require a Resident Cert, it can be obtained easily and quickly via an agent without ever stepping inside CM Immigration. Two to three days for 1,000 baht is the norm and for an extra 500 baht can be obtained same day within a couple of hours (in my experience). This is not from the agent previously mentioned.

The three week wait run around if you go to CM Immigration directly is, frankly, a disgrace. Greed and corruption come to mind, but I'd love to hear a senior IO officer at CM Immigration explain it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Get a 'yellow book', problems solved.

Except for the usual lack of consistency with DLT offices. Mae Teang [for example] will not accept the yellow book as proof of address. The address you enter on the form for a residency certificate will however satisfy Immigration, even if it's not your actual address; allegedly! If you are willing to cough up the 1000Baht for the 'express' option, you don't even have to visit the immigration offices, there is an 'agent' in the gas station car park opposite. Drop off am one day and pick up the certificate the next morning.

Hat Yai Immigation - residency certificate - free - overnight- I lived in Chiang Mai for a year following initial move to Thailand. 3 residency certificates for bank/ drivers licence / car ownership- 3000 baht through an agency  after I was told by Chiang Mai immigration , must wait 3-4 weeks.

1 hour ago, Antonymous said:

Not everyone can obtain a Yellow Book despite being 'qualified' for one. Some Amphur offices (such as my local one) simply refuse to issue a Yellow Book.

I have the same problem...

Tried three times and they just keep changing the requirements.

6 minutes ago, rawhod said:

I have the same problem...

Tried three times and they just keep changing the requirements.

That would be a no then.... one can imagine them having a good giggle among themselves after you have left with the latest requirement!

Hat Yai Immigation - residency certificate - free - overnight- I lived in Chiang Mai for a year following initial move to Thailand. 3 residency certificates for bank/ drivers licence / car ownership- 3000 baht through an agency  after I was told by Chiang Mai immigration , must wait 3-4 weeks.

3-4 weeks is absolutely ridiculous !!

I got a C or R at my local IO ( Ayutthaya ) back in January , lady took my passport details and the copies I had provided, put info into computer, printed it out, signed it and handed it to me, 5 minutes and zero baht.

A similar experience in my previous province ( Pathum Thani ), 5 minutes and 500 baht .

I can understand the difference in cost, greed is an ugly animal !!, but making someone wait 3 to 4 weeks for a document , that can clearly be issued immediately, is blatantly holding someone at ransom for money !!

I know, I know, it’s something we have no control over and it’s luck of the draw but gets my blood pressure up.

Okay, rant over, now where did I put my meds ?

21 hours ago, Nowisee said:

I wonder just what exactly do they do for 3 weeks.  

Investigate the validity of the work permit or lease and verify the living location of the applicant?  

In Phayao for 500 baht, I can get it within an hour. That said, immigration here is usually pretty empty.