Problems entering with a re-entry permit on ed visa

I'm posting this just as a heads up for anyone that might be in same sort of situation as me,

I had a month left on my ed visa but had to go back to England for 3 days last week so got a re-entry permit and thought I would have no problems coming back in but when I got to the desk the io started to look at my passport and saw I had been in Thailand since 2017 on TV and a ed visa,

He called over another Io who started to question me and asked what I was doing here I told him I had been studying for the last year and he called me a lair,

Lucky for me I had really been studying but will admit I only done 100 hours of Thai language so I spoke to him in Thai the best I could and this must of swayed him because he let me in,

He didn't ask me to show money or ongoing flight witch I had both but did ask me how much I paid agent for my ed visa I explained the best I could to him in Thai that I didn't have a agent and how much I paid my school and where it was, 

He went off and came back with a print out of all my entrys since I got my new passport in 2017 and pointed out I had only been home twice in a year and a half lucky for me for some reason he wasn't able to get the info for my last passport because i have roughly been here for 4 years but used to go home more in the first 2 years but only for 2-3 weeks at a time

Anyway other then calling me a lair the io was fair enough and he did let me in but said if I want to stay I have to marry my girlfriend lol,

So it seems now even the ed visa is not a sure thing even if you are studying so beware 

Marry, Elite or leave and only visit occasionally.

Thanks for your update. I got interviewed before on ED visa in 2018, but not as serious as you and nobody called me a liar. It was similar that once  spoke Thai to them they relaxed and let me go.

20 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Well, if you've been on an ED Visa since 2017 and studied only 100 hours of thai language, i guess he was right?

If you read my post again you will see that I already wrote that he had seen I had been here since 2017 on a TV and ed visa and I had been studying for the last year ! I never said I had been here since 2017 on a Ed visa and only done 100 hrs since 2017 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wes360 said:

If you read my post again you will see that I already wrote that he had seen I had been here since 2017 on a TV and ed visa and I had been studying for the last year ! I never said I had been here since 2017 on a Ed visa and only done 100 hrs since 2017 

So, almost one year on the ED visa, and 100 hours. At best, 3 hours per week. Not really serious schooling, is it? I believe that this is precisely the "education" that immigration has decided will no longer qualify. I am not judging you at all, just saying that I think immigration is changing their concept of what an ED visa is (or maybe it has been this way all along, and is just now being applied - like another famous rule).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, timendres said:

So, almost one year on the ED visa, and 100 hours. At best, 3 hours per week. Not really serious schooling, is it? I believe that this is precisely the "education" that immigration has decided will no longer qualify. I am not judging you at all, just saying that I think immigration is changing their concept of what an ED visa is (or maybe it has been this way all along, and is just now being applied - like another famous rule).

I have friends studying medicine at Mahidol University since years on an ED Visa, they have never been asked once.

These type of visas are meant for that kind of education i would guess...

Most schools are like this. Mine was too.

Thank you for the heads-up. When we say ED visa is not an option anymore, we of course mean the non-ED visa, so private language schools etc.

I never doubted that the formal ED visas with universities work.

Since you need to get a new visa soon, you should think about marriage, if it is serious - seems your best option. Or Elite.

Otherwise new passport, apply in home country (Thai embassy) and pray the school is not on the blacklist, that nobody here seems to know. Does not seem to be a good option, also then you needed to avoid certain airports when coming back.

2 minutes ago, cerox said:

Thank you for the heads-up. When we say ED visa is not an option anymore, we of course mean the non-ED visa, so private language schools etc.

Since you need to get a new visa soon, you should think about marriage, if it is serious - seems your best option. Or Elite.

Otherwise new passport, apply in home country (Thai embassy) and pray the school is not on the blacklist, that nobody here seems to know. Does not seem to be a good option, also then you needed to avoid certain airports when coming back.

I have been training muay Thai boxing the last few years and found a gym that can get me a year visa with training them the head trainer is a master and I think he has some good connections because he says he can get visas for up to 5 years I have already paid the first installment and will go and apply for it next month I should of just applied for it in England when I was there but didn't have enough time so will try Laos 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, wes360 said:

I have been training muay Thai boxing the last few years and found a gym that can get me a year visa with training them the head trainer is a master and I think he has some good connections because he says he can get visas for up to 5 years I have already paid the first installment and will go and apply for it next month I should of just applied for it in England when I was there but didn't have enough time so will try Laos 

Master Toddys school? They can do 5 year visas afaik, there are only a few muay thay schools accredited to do that

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wes360 said:

Look I was not making this post to moan about the io I already said he was fair with me I was just trying to give a heads up for people on a Ed visa, I paid 40k for my ed visa and I only got 100 hours of lessons for that if you don't think that is right and want to make a complaint about schools giving ed visa with only 100 hrs or lessons PM me and I will give you the school name  

As I said, "I am not judging you at all". Just acknowledging what you were pointing out in your OP that immigration seems to be focusing in on certain schools/programs. Which is why I (indirectly) asked if this was an actual change of rules, or a more stringent application of existing rules.

According to my passport I've been in Thailand on ED visas and tourists visas since 2014. My ED visa finished on the 10th of this month (tomorrow) but I had left a few days prior, with the intention to return and then arrange an Elite visa. I was denied entry in Cambodia, and was told I need to book a plane ticket back to the UK from Bangkok as proof I intend to leave. So I just went to Siem Reap, flew to Malaysia, and then flew to Hua His from Kuala Lumpur.. It just about worked, I had to explain to the io in Hua Hin (in Thai) that I have money, have rent paid on a decent house, have never overstayed or abused the system etc. But yeah it's getting very very difficult indeed.
I'm never marrying a woman from any part of the world, or universe for that matter, for any kind of visa 

• Like 1

wes360,

if you get your visa in the next few months, please keep us posted.

There is a combat training school in Chiang Mai, many of them were recently denied. The school likes to brag about their connections. Not saying it is the same with your gym, but be careful, they might just talk a lot.

5 hours ago, cerox said:

wes360,

if you get your visa in the next few months, please keep us posted.

There is a combat training school in Chiang Mai, many of them were recently denied. The school likes to brag about their connections. Not saying it is the same with your gym, but be careful, they might just talk a lot.

Yeah IV head abit about ed visa from combat schools in Chiang mai getting denied but only here good things from master toddy my mate just got one from them the other day and he had no problems but this is he's 1st ed visa and he's never stayed in Thailand longer then 3 months at a time, on another note I have heard that Vientiane won't give you a ed visa if you had one before, I have got a certificate to proof I finished my lessons so hopefully that will help me aswell 

2 minutes ago, wes360 said:

Yeah IV head abit about ed visa from combat schools in Chiang mai getting denied but only here good things from master toddy my mate just got one from them the other day and he had no problems but this is he's 1st ed visa and he's never stayed in Thailand longer then 3 months at a time, on another note I have heard that Vientiane won't give you a ed visa if you had one before, I have got a certificate to proof I finished my lessons so hopefully that will help me aswell 

From what i know i they are pretty much the only mt school beeing able to issue those visa, so they must be legit (thai style legit), and at least swampy airport ios must know them too. Don't think you'll have a problem after getting one, but as you seem as young as me i would urge you to save for an elite visa or similar during your combat visa time. It's not getting easier anywhere here in asia... Longterm 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

From what i know i they are pretty much the only mt school beeing able to issue those visa, so they must be legit (thai style legit), and at least swampy airport ios must know them too. Don't think you'll have a problem after getting one, but as you seem as young as me i would urge you to save for an elite visa or similar during your combat visa time. It's not getting easier anywhere here in asia... Longterm 

The problem with the elite visa is what do I get for half a million bhat ? Why should we pay half a million bhat to stay in Thailand just because we are under 50 or not married to a Thai if we was we would only have to pay 10,000 for 5 years, at least with a ed visa I'm getting something for the extra money I'm paying to stay here, like my new visa will cost me 68k bhat but I will get training 2x a day 6x a week for one year and get to stay here for a year a elite visa will cost me 100k a year and I get some free taxis and other stuff I'm not interested in, always makes me laugh how everyone on here (I don't mean you) is always pushing the elite visa like it's worth it how many people on here that is over 50 or married to a Thai have a elite visa ? 

That training is in CNX too?

I ask it directly what many think: required to go? or just pay and get the paperwork anyway? And how much did you have to pay up-front for the documents so you can go to the embassy? This is the money at risk if we do not get the visa because we lose it.

16 hours ago, cerox said:

another option is to enroll to a real school or uni, and actually study for real...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wes360 said:

The problem with the elite visa is what do I get for half a million bhat ? Why should we pay half a million bhat to stay in Thailand just because we are under 50 or not married to a Thai if we was we would only have to pay 10,000 for 5 years, at least with a ed visa I'm getting something for the extra money I'm paying to stay here, like my new visa will cost me 68k bhat but I will get training 2x a day 6x a week for one year and get to stay here for a year a elite visa will cost me 100k a year and I get some free taxis and other stuff I'm not interested in, always makes me laugh how everyone on here (I don't mean you) is always pushing the elite visa like it's worth it how many people on here that is over 50 or married to a Thai have a elite visa ? 

Actually, quite a few TV contributors have had negative things to say about the Elite Visa.  The contributors are just offing you some ways for you to stay here you may not have thought of.  Unfortunately, this is not our country.  We are only guests and like any guest, the host may decide to hand you your hat when the host does not like you anymore.  If you have followed what has happening here over the last few of years where free visas are given out like candy on Halloween to guests from certain countries while the requirements for the rest of us staying here have increased, such as bank deposits in the bank of 800,000 3 months seasoning prior to retirement extension and then have to keep 400k minimum in the bank all year round, you get what the picture.  The message is clear.  You want to stay here, you have to pay and be bothered by the like of TM-30 and such so the agents can keep money coming to the IO's.  You can always walk out of the door yourself if you don't like the party.

• Thanks 1

They know........most use this for a scam to get a Visa when you are not old enough for a Retirement Visa or some other reason.

No one really comes to Thailand solely to learn Thai.

You said you have Ed Visa since 2017..........if that’s the case and you had 2 yrs of Thai..........your Thai should be fluent by now..........is it?

If I was him I would talk to you in Thai...........your responses would determine the next move.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

They know........most use this for a scam to get a Visa when you are not old enough for a Retirement Visa or some other reason.

No one really comes to Thailand solely to learn Thai.

You said you have Ed Visa since 2017..........if that’s the case and you had 2 yrs of Thai..........your Thai should be fluent by now..........is it?

If I was him I would talk to you in Thai...........your responses would determine the next move.

Please read the whole thread if your going to comment 

• Like 1

i had a similar problem at swampy about two months ago.  i am on my 2nd year of ed visa.  my thai is pretty rubbish as i am no good at studying languages

luckily i had my school books in my carry on bag, and showed him all my hand written notes.  i have a book and a half of notes taken during class, and this was enough to allow me entry

5 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

EXACTLY

I will say the same to you please read the whole thread if your going to comment I have clearly said twice that I have been studying for just under 1 year and that I done a 100 hour course ! Clearly I can speak some Thai otherwise I would have been turnt away ! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, wes360 said:

So you are saying the visa is simply to allow you to stay in Thailand. Hardly surprising. This is a problem that immigration are aware of and seem to be making an effort to stop this from happening by people they see as not being 100% genuine.

I don't judge you for wanting to stay in Thailand, it's a great place to be.

The answer to your 'why and what' questions is quite simple.

It is the law.

Over 50's don't make the law, married people don't make the law and Elite visa holders don't make the law.

Unfortunately people cannot simply go and live wherever they want, they must abide by the rules no matter how self entitled they think they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1