Buddhist group goes after Buddha-Ultraman artist, as abbot calls on society to forgive and forget

snoop1130

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Emdog said:

"In form is emptiness and emptiness form"

This world is illusion, Maya.

"Suffering comes from attachment" and that includes attachment to Buddha and images, etc.

Those "defenders of the faith" don't know even the most basic "truths" of Buddhism.

Buddhism is a philosophy not a religion, they make do without a God although its adherents have managed to corrupt the teachings so far as to make Buddha one

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Buddhism is a philosophy not a religion, they make do without a God although its adherents have managed to corrupt the teachings so far as to make Buddha one

I'm with you on that completely. It's been an ongoing argument for years though.

10 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Looks amazing to be fair. Also no one has the slightest clue what Budda looked like. Dipictions of Buddha from some places, Afghanistan I believe, show Buddha with shoulder length hair and a beard, whilst in other places he's a bald fatty. For all we know this girl's dipiction of Budda is the most accurate ever created.

I always find it funny how Christians in the US have imagery of Jesus with pearl white skin and blue eyes. 

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Penal Code’s Article 206 (anything done to an object or place of worship of any group of persons in a manner that is likely to insult them)

This could go for penal code against the TM30, as it insults foreigners worshiping freedom of movement :burp:

This may come as a surprise to some, but in my 12 years here, I haven't seen any Buddhism at all.  I have seen a lot of Hinduism, including belief in reincarnation and worship of Ganeesh, the Hindu elephant god.  I have seen Thais worshiping Buddha images, but that goes directly against the teachings of Buddha, so that doesn't count.  I have seen 100's of fancy temples, but the Buddha, himself, taught that seeking such aggrandizement was not the right path.  He had his meetings out under a tree.   That makes "Buddhist temple" an oxymoron.  There is a lot of animism, spirits in land, houses, cars, etc.   But Buddhism?  Nobody has a clue.  Even the most of the monks, chanting in Pali, can't even translate what they are chanting into Thai.  It is the blind leading the blind and they have all lost their way.  What would the Buddha say?

I do not know what these complaining monks are, but they are certainly anything BUT Buddhist.

I am remembering the uproar when that artist in the West made a rendering of the Virgin Mary from cow feces a few years ago.  It ended up being defended s freedom of expression.  I suppose that would get you the death penalty here.

This whole affair makes me think of the Spanish Inquisition.  While easy to just dismiss, it is actually kind of scary to think of these zealots demanding arrests and punishment for somebody else's harmless personal expression.  Show me the injury; there isn't any.

Archived