Thai navy inks deal for LPD warship from China

webfact

Aside from naval missions, LPD’s can also be used for civilian purposes, like disaster relief and humanitarian rescues

By DM CHAN

lpd.jpg

Thailand will use the warship to conduct naval transport missions, boosting the country’s troop deployment capability in the high seas. File photo.

China and Thailand have signed a deal that will see a Chinese shipbuilding company build a Type 071E landing platform dock (LPD) warship for the Thai navy, a move which shows deepened arms trade cooperation between the two countries, a Chinese military expert said on Wednesday.

China and Thailand signed the agreement in Beijing on Monday, with the general manager of the China State Shipbuilding Corporation Limited (CSSC), Yang Jincheng, and the commander-in-chief of the Royal Thai Navy, Luechai Ruddit, participating, according to a statement CSSC released on Tuesday, Global Times reported.

This also marks the first time China has exported an LPD, the statement said. The statement did not provide further details, including the ship’s price or when the ship will be delivered.

Full story: https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/09/article/thai-navy-inks-deal-for-lpd-warship-from-china/

-- ASIA TIMES 2019-09-13

10 minutes ago, NokNokJoke said:

Can it get up the rivers and canals to help with flood relief?

(propelling the flood water into the sea with it's engines)

No. But it will help with the recovery mission when the first of the new subs, named "thaitanic" goes down on its maiden voyage.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Some more inking with China. China is a rich source of envelopes for the big boys.

It's only a matter of time and lack of maintenance before this vessel ends up in the naval dockyard tied up alongside their flagship HTMS Chakri Naruebet which is now used as a tourist attraction.

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

Still spending up big on military toys.  Oh well something to dock next to that aircraft carrier they never use.

Why buy this LPD? They have a defunct carrier, that can be converted to carry troops, landing craft. vehicles, both military and civilian,helicopters, hospital resources...probably be cheaper than a new ship, and provide a legitimate purpose for the white elephant..

36 minutes ago, John1012 said:

Why buy this LPD? They have a defunct carrier, that can be converted to carry troops, landing craft. vehicles, both military and civilian,helicopters, hospital resources...probably be cheaper than a new ship, and provide a legitimate purpose for the white elephant..

And don't forget plenty of buses just decaying.

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

Some more inking with China. China is a rich source of envelopes for the big boys.

It's only a matter of time and lack of maintenance before this vessel ends up in the naval dockyard tied up alongside their flagship HTMS Chakri Naruebet which is now used as a tourist attraction.

But only a tourist attraction for Thais.

My experience a few years back was at an 'open day' with my then girlfriend. I was refused admission by a sailor at the entrance to the ship, my (Thai) girlfriend was waved through.

When I asked why, I was told that foreigners were not allowed on board for security reasons.

I quickly pointed out there was a group of half-a-dozen Chinese immediately in front of us who were allowed on.

The sailor said that "Chinese were OK".

4 minutes ago, Is this real said:

An average LPD costs around 50 BILLION Baht.

How many new reservoirs could be build or improved for 50 BILLION baht?

great question my question would be HOW they could improve the so called health system....and cut down on waiting times in Government Hospitals.....and create a super ambulance service???

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Brushing up on my Chinese; we will be assimilated within the next few years.

The voice on the street is many schools are now favouring Chinese language over English.... that's a big hint as to where the future is going.

2 hours ago, John1012 said:

Of its in a safe working condition with spares available! 

6 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:
30 minutes ago, jerojero said:

How bout a few billion for the citizens, the poor, better healthcare, pensions? Sheesh!

Have you gone mad sir? The citizens, the poor? ???????????????? There are far more important things than mere plebs.

Tanks! We need more tanks and Armoured Personnel Carriers.

I'm off to Subway for a submarine sandwich.

13 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

""Thailand will use the warship to conduct naval transport missions, boosting the country’s troop deployment capability in the high seas. """

What country landing ???

Any country you want to dream about. More fiction: "the country’s troop deployment capability in the high seas."

Just as fictitious as the country of Sarkhan (The Ugly American 1963)

Edit: Having said that, the Thai navy did fight the Japanse in 1941 for five hours, when they invaded Thailand.

2 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

And the next big announcement from ChiCom loving regime: rename the country “Chiland”.  They must love that Chinese hot money inflows from bond sales far more than the economy (tourism and exports).  So sad ????

And todays Gold Star for pointless daily regurgitation goes to.....

Archived