Army chiefs of Indo-Pacific region discuss sustainable strategies

webfact

Army chiefs of Indo-Pacific region discuss sustainable strategies

By The Nation

800_cd549d1f1506a4e.jpg?v=1568603797

Army Chiefs from around the indo–Pacific gathered in Bangkok last week for the 11th biannual Indo- Pacific Army Chiefs Conference (IPACC), which is aimed at promoting trust, understanding, and cooperation among land forces in the region.

The conference, which was co-hosted by the Royal Thai Army and the United States Army, had as its theme “Achieving Sustainable Security: A New Perspective for Indo-Pacific Armies”. Over the course of the three days, senior army leaders engaged in discussions, participated in plenary sessions, and listened to distinguished guest speakers as they worked out how to improve relationships between national armies and work together to achieve sustainable security in a free and open Indo-Pacific region.

thumbnail_IMG_6242.jpg

Taking place concurrently was the annual Indo – Pacific Armies Management Seminar (IPAMS) and the Senior Enlisted Leaders Forum (SELF), IPAMS included much of the same topics and discussions as IPACC, but at a level below the rank of three- and four-star generals. SELF, meanwhile, featured group discussions and professional development directed at senior enlisted personnel from various countries.

IMG_6241.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_6245.jpg

With close to 40 nations comprising its make-up, the Indo-Pacific region covers more than half of the earth’s surface with 6 of the most populated nations in the world. The region is inclusive of over 3000 languages and dialects, and poses some of the most pressing security challenges ranging from terrorism to natural disasters. Seven of the world’s 10 largest armies are in the region where border disputes and sovereignty concerns are headlines events. IPACC, IPAMS and SELF bring army senior leaders together to discuss differences, establish trust, mitigate miscalculations, resolve challenges, and find commonality among the gathered multinational – professional soldiers.

Last Monday’s opening ceremony was presided over by General Prayuth Chan-o-cha, Prime Minister, Defence Minister, and head of the Royal Thai Police.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376236

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-16

I wonder how sustainable they determined having 1000 plus Generals was.

It would be fair to label the Army leadership in many of the region's individual forces as "crooked" i'd say. What a nonsense meeting, I wonder what it all cost.

5 minutes ago, z42 said:

It would be fair to label the Army leadership in many of the region's individual forces as "crooked" i'd say. What a nonsense meeting, I wonder what it all cost.

IIRC, it's nearly 1,600 general crooks in the Thai army.

18 minutes ago, z42 said:

It does sustain the 1,600 generals with wealth and power and probably new lease of life as senators etc and if you are lucky ministerial positions. Old Generals here never die but re-cycle.  

Archived