Two years smoke free

Samui Bodoh

I just gave up (21 days). Actually quitting smoking was easier than quitting vaping, because I knew smoking was bad for me, whilst vaping is near harmless.  It's just that vaping is illegal in Thailand and I felt unsafe with the liquids.  If I was in the UK I guess I'd be vaping.

Anyway, what bothers me is not the giving up, but staying off it.  I suppose I just have to remind myself how dangerous cigarette smoking is and how I want to live a long, healthy life.

But methinks you protest too much.  Clearly, you were really, really hooked and are still missing it.  But I can only sympathize.  If we lived in a more enlightened country we could have the best of both worlds.  

Edited by mommysboy

47 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Well done to the OP , great advice !!

I stopped around 15 years ago after smoking since mid teens. One day I just decided I was gonna do it and did it, will power is your strongest ally .

But, if i needed to stop smoking now I would use the money in the jar method, possibly setting your self a target like a new scooter for example.
Find a photo of the mc you want ( but don’t have the spare cash) print it out and stick it on the jar, a quick glance in a morning will renew your waning will power.

Forget the patches and the gum ( and definitely the vaping after recent discoveries !! ), just set your mind to it and be strong !! but a little financial incentive certainly helps also !!

Wow! Another one. Where is the world going. I have been advocating that too much use of social media is damaging a persons check of reality.

Really? So, today grown up people need a picture of something they want to get the thumb out of their <deleted> to do the right thing. It´s not enough with all the health benefits that quitting smoking stands for. No that would be too smart and realistic. Instead we need to look on pictures, like a 7 year old waiting for his new Lego Ninjago close to christmas.

You people are really something! Grow up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Yes, I have made it two years smoke-free

Congratulations!

Not an easy thing to do, I know, it took me three attempts before I eventually managed to quit - that was 26 years ago.

• Like 2

A couple of observations.

# I stopped nearly 18 months ago. Just stopped. No patches, no gum.

No biggie, but then i smoked roll ups for 35 years, not the chemical filled taylor mades.

# Re money saved - in my case not really, as 10 baht per day on a 40 grm packet of Thai rolling tobacco was never going to break the bank.

10x365 = 3650 Baht per annum...

# My mother just had her 80th birthday.

She has been a heavy smoker all her life since her teenage years. Been smoking roll ups for the last 20 years. Had a stroke, had a heart attack, doctor said if she smokes again the next one will kill her.

Still on 40 a day.....

• Like 2

I stopped smoking a long time ago. I used nicotine patch and did a bet with my roommates. If any of them caught me smoking they would get $100. I still smoke once every other year when drunk and the next day my throat hurt. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I stopped smoking without any incentives but for some people it’s not that simple. Some people are easily distracted, from stopping smoking, or their will power is not that strong and need some help.
Accepting that we are not all the same would be a good step for you but then again you come across as someone who cannot understand why people don’t like your favourite music/food/humour etc.

Using incentives to help stopping smoking is helpful and arguably better than chemical options or hypnosis etc.

Of course stopping smoking without any help at all is the best option and everyone should try it that way first, but by your way of thinking if people cannot make this work for them they should do what ??
Just continue smoking ??

You, my friend, are really something, unable to differentiate between peoples limitations !!

Time to leave your bubble and see the outside world for what it is !!

Oh, and yes, grow up .

You, It has nothing to do with the like of music, food or humour or anything else where things can differ. That´s all ok, but you can not go through life so weak that you are unable to control your own urges and body. That´s not acceptable in my world, but I know. It´s the new world, now we should feel sorry for each and everyone and understand their difficulties. It´s a weak world, and therefore there are so many failures and only the few and strong survive.

You see, good olé Darwin had a point after all.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

59 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

For those contemplating vaping as a safe alternative perhaps they should think again, the Thai doctors could be right after all.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-16/im-horrified-by-the-damage-vaping-does-to-lungs/11516316

That's not vaping as such, but contaminated black market THC oil.  The contaminant is thought to be vitamin E acetate which acts as an oil.  OIl in the lungs is really dangerous as we see.  Vape juice does not contain oil.

Well done OP. Kudos to u.

I quit a few years ago in australia but it was done with a lot of help from the quitline. 

When i felt like falling off the wagon a call to them really helped and reinforced my belief in myself.

But according to some i should never try asking for help and instead got back into it and died a painful death.

Next time i go for surgery will just tell them not to put me under and i will do it myself. ????

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

7 1/2 years for me, after being about a pack (20-25) a day man for around 35 years.

I recall, quite clearly, smelling the breath (and clothes and hair) of other smokers a couple weeks after I quit and the realization that I used to smell just like them.

That smell and that memory has kept me from being tempted again. Last summer I was home visiting friends and one of them is a heavy smoker. Hearing him wheeze and hack with every drag of a cigarette made me glad I quit when I did.

I think my lungs are permanently damaged though. I'm not sure what it is, but whenever I ride around somewhere and pass a place that is cooking a certain thing, as soon as I get a whiff of it I start coughing. Not sure if it's Oyster Sauce in a wok over an open flame or what, but man, it's instant coughing session for me.

Just keep remembering why you quit in the first place and any time you are tempted in the future, recall those reasons (and any others). The hacking cough and wheezy lungs. The smell of a smoker's breath (and clothes and hair). Cigarette butts and ashes everywhere. The sight of someone with cancer wasting away until they look like a gaunt scarecrow before a painful death.

(My dad died of lung cancer in 2010. I hate that my last memories of him are how he looked in the hospital bed at the end.)

There are plenty of good reasons to not smoke again and no good reasons to start up again. After the first few days, it gets easier to say "no" the longer you go.

I have wondered the same. But my young daughter generally coughs for exactly the same reasons as me and as you have described above, and she has never smoked in her life obviously.

We must have damaged our lungs to some extent, yes.  I think it also depends on genetics, and history of exercise.