Do you like Thai people?

Yinn

11 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Regarding other foreigners and their attitude towards Thais: this forum is not balanced or an accurate representation of people's views. Its full of very small minded  parochial people, often hate filled and racist.

I guess you are right.

But I guess this is also a place for anonymous rants.

I wouldn't expect from my friends to hear something like: That Thai idiot did this and that and what a moron. 

But if someone posts something like this here then he gets his attention for a few minutes or maybe hours or days and then life is back to normal.

Should people do that? I guess best case no, they shouldn't. But if people have the choice to do it in person or anonymous then I guess anonymous is easier - and the internet is full of rants.

11 hours ago, NilSS said:

Thailand is a very primitive society. Yes, you have mobile phones, broadband internet, toilets that flush yadda yadda. . . . . but this is just a very thin veneer. Farangs, even those that have been here as long as I have, find this very difficult to realise. Rote education, primitive superstitions, weak and corrupt judiciary, a general lack of understanding of the outside world, even though the sum of human knowledge is available to them via the internet, it will take generations to shift this. . . . .

Yes, this is certainly true for some Thai people.

But it is also true for people in other countries.

I.e. look at that country in which people think they are the leader of the world. Even if they play spots only in their own country they call it "world series" because somehow they feel they are center of the world. And then there are the over 50% who think god created the world about 6000 years ago. They are totally ignorant and proud of it.

So it's definitely not only Thailand with that very thin veneer...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Airalee said:
17 hours ago, Chazar said:

A product of the educational system, although she probably thinks I hate her I do  not in any way, hating her views and hating her are two different matters same with many posters.

I didn’t say I hated her.  Just don’t like her very much.  She doesn’t come across as a very likable person in most threads.

Read it  again I never said YOU hated her, looks  like youv'e taken the  second part of my sentence out of context..

7 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Name all the other ones (excluding you)

There was the man whose Wife also used the same name , she was a school teacher, I think his name was something like Jeab1980  there are others but i cant remember and many disappear like the really good  posters  who  have long gone, Bendix, Guesthouse etc

Edited by Chazar
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, FredGallaher said:
21 hours ago, johnnybgood said:

Put it like this..........none of us came here with a dislike for Thais.

The choice is always to leave if you change your mind.

You have no clue with your assumption.

1/10 for your originality though.

Also thanks for the unsolicited advice.

7 hours ago, amykat said:

OMG!!!  What in the hell makes you think I am Thai??  Next, I can’t remember details that like over more than a decade but there have been some spouses of posters on here, some random women from time to time, a guy named Golf I believe who married some expat woman on here, and I am sure some I never read as I don’t read every post.  Okay??

Kill all that witch already.

9 hours ago, pookondee said:

Id suggest this "us versus them"
perception and

"hatred of foriegners" (from Thais)

is mainly happening in his own head..

Nearly 15 years up for me in Thailand now, and i have never seen any off what he describes.

THANKYOU THANKYOU 

This exactly the point I try to say yesterday.

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My daughter failed English in year 5 of Thai high school because her teacher didn't like her being better at English.

When we went in to try and get the grade changed, the 'English teacher' could only speak in Thai, no English at all.

I've got a Thai cycling pal, taught English for 30 years before retiring, can't speak one word of English.

You must be exaggerating, right?

How can somebody teach English for 30 years but can't speak one word of English?

I agree that they can't speak proper English sentence structure but instead use Thai sentence structure like 'same, same'.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Don Chance said:

You need to go to Cambodia or Nepal or India and then compare to Thailand. I rarely have bad experiences with anyone in those countries. Thailand is about 1 in a week!

Recently i had a bottle of baby oil in a shop that slipped out of fingers, it was cheap quality knock off and i think the plastic was already cracked, it didn't drop far, it should not have splatter the way it did. I was a 304 shop of something. I told the women and thought that would be it, they would clean it up. But she freaked out and demanded i pay for it. Then she threatened to call the police (again.) I was a scam for sure. Conflicts with Thai's happen all the time.

Go to Cambodia people are friendly nice easy going etc.

Of course you should have bloody paid for it WITHOUT BEING ASKED TO.

Have you dropped and broken a bottle of baby oil in a small shop Cambodia or Nepal or India yet?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Of course you should have bloody paid for it WITHOUT BEING ASKED TO.

Have you dropped and broken a bottle of baby oil in a small shop Cambodia or Nepal or India yet?

Yeah probably in a small shop. However in big businesses breakage is just another cost of doing business. My one experience with that was at Tops where I dropped a bottle of expensive coconut oil which of course made a big mess on the floor. I was prepared to pay for it but the staff there told me to just walk away. 

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems you have a problem understanding farangs.

And I advise you that if you want to understand them then listen.

I suggest you listen to many of them with different age, nationality, different time in Thailand, etc.

When you do that you will slowly understand them more and more.

Of course you don't have to listen. But then don't be surprised if your perception and reality have not much in common.

What? Take a moment and listen to the farangs on TV who for the most part cannot or will not understand the slightest thing about Thailand?

Not a lot of mileage in that IMHO.

24 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

What? Take a moment and listen to the farangs on TV who for the most part cannot or will not understand the slightest thing about Thailand?

Not a lot of mileage in that IMHO.

Yinn wants to understand how farangs think about Thais.

It does not matter if those farangs think clear or make sense.

Listening and reading will help her to understand how (some) farang think.

16 hours ago, NilSS said:

Her English is perfect, yet her Thai teachers still insist they can correct her English, even though they have the English of a five year old. This is the sort of attitude that angers me.

My sister, replete with teaching degrees and a Master's in English Lit was denied a teaching position in Hawaii because they reckoned her Englsh speech didn't SOUND English enough.

She got over it eventually.

16 hours ago, grollies said:

The OP would do better reading the comments section of the Bangkok Post. You think TVF is bad?................

But there's only 2 or 3 'posters' on that 'forum' though.

Maybe one of them is the same munter that the OP's got a hard-on for?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Yinn. Not sure if anyone  has  asked directly  but have noticed a few doubters of your  Thai identity.

Are you  genuinely Thai?

To paraphrase an earlier post...

16 hours ago, grollies said:

Where's the for-f$$k's-sake icon when you need it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah probably in a small shop. However in big businesses breakage is just another cost of doing business. My one experience with that was at Tops where I dropped a bottle of expensive coconut oil which of course made a big mess on the floor. I was prepared to pay for it but the staff there told me to just walk away. 

Of course, Tops staff dont have to personally pay for any spillage, so they wouldnt care.

But, if a Tops cashier has to make up for any discrepancy in their till totals...

out of their own pocket.. 

you can bet they will not be so "mai pen rai" about it.

So if its a small ma/pa business, why should they go to work just to loose money because some git breaks something?

If it were me id be giving them the price of the breakage and a tip for having to clean up my mess..

just for my being a clumsy oaf.

Really, no wonder foriegners get a bad wrap for being cheap Charlies here!!

10 hours ago, amykat said:

Oh there was a female vet in Chiang Mai who ran a vet question service for a while,  Bambina or something???

she was certainly feminine, but female debatable.

she seems to have gone far off the thai visa radar, she used however to be quite prolific

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:01 PM, Yinn said:

But also have a lot of expat REALLY hate Thai people. This really shock me. I see before farang not friendly, not have happy face. But not understand why they hate us so much. Is true.

You have to understand that they are not ALL farangs and that they probably hate everyone. They just happen to be in Thailand. If they were in France, they'd hate the French.

I liked Thai women, but I wasn't really interested in having male Thai friends, not because I don't like Thai males, but because I was interested in what women have and men don't have that.