Do you like Thai people?

Yinn

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Well then if you rely solely on numbers, we should all be sing songing like an IT help desk dude in Bangalore "I am so Pleaesed to be able to help you sor, please to be providing me with yoor address?"

Problem easily solved. I refuse to deal with any company who has their call centres in India or Pakistan. Why should I, if I can't understand them?

Fortunately, I can understand American, Scots and Irish dialects. Although Texans are a bit of a stretch.

21 hours ago, aqua4 said:

Tourists are not going to be the same as expats as their views will differ. Tourists stay in tourist areas and leave when they are done. Expats have to deal with the silliness at times because they live in Thailand, which they dont like. Maybe they should not have lived in Thailand in the first place because they did not know what they would be in for. 

Very important which you overlook because you are Thai is that there is a class structure just like Thailand. You clearly cant see the difference between the three because you have never lived overseas in the West for an extended period of time. Money gives you the false impression as to who is who as it will depend on their currency.

Foreigners compare Thailand to their home countries. What do you compare Thailand with as you have never lived overseas? I have met Thai people who have lived overseas in the West for years and they criticise Thai people (their own people) as well as the country more than foreigners do here. I can give you loads of examples but let me start with one that struck me the most.

Friend of my wife (Thai woman + Thai man) has lived in America for 20 years and they own a small store. One day she started to rant about Thai people because they allow the country to go to the dogs. She looked at me and asked me an interest question -- Look at these broken pavements all over. It angers me because Thai people allow this to happen.  If Thai people had to live overseas for 2 or 3 years they would not accept this as normal when they returned. Thailand would change for the better if Thai people had something to compare it to. Yes, your own people mock your own people because they allow it to happen.

No it is not. Its your nationalism which has been drilled into your head at school which is blinding you to your own errors and short comings. That is where the fault lays when you are blind. That is why the country cant go forward like Singapore or Hong Kong. The educational system has created a box in your head which you cant see out of. 

Start with your immigration policies and compare that to ANY Western country where Thai people live and then ask me again about perception. Then look at how a foreigner can only own 49% of apartments or a business in Thailand. Is that not anti-Foreigner?

The rest of your rant of examples of what foreigners say --

One thing you will notice is that after foreigners have lived here for a while they start to pick up the class structure in Thailand. They can tell the low-so from the high-so and everything in-between. You start to notice a thread in Thailand that those who have money or those who have lived abroad for a long time are completely different in their views than the average Thai that goes nowhere. It is clear from your writing that you have never lived in the West and you have a very narrow view of the world

The best answer here, if  only the Thai contingent  could  fully understand it and dump the nationalism.

4 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Lots of misconceptions of the word "farang" in this thread. Exemplified by MartinL's post.

I'd like to qualify Yinn's post with this short video, by a young Thai who explains the use of the word from a Thai POV.

Basically, it's not racist, it's actually quite polite.

GREAT. 

I will make a new thred this one.

farang not racist. Some farang imagine that. But it not true.

Thankyou!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chazar said:

A  Thai can buy ANY real estate in my country

And free visa on arrival? Or not?

your country can refuse Thai the visa to go?  Or not? 

Difficult to buy if can not get the visa. 

Buy the house, but can not go. 

Have retirement visa for thai? Stay forever? Or not? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Yes because of "flight risk" ask the Koreans about this, they have thousands of Thais  there overstaying.

Thailand have thousand of foreigner overstaying. Big problem.

Let's not conflate the government with the people. It'd be great if the government would treat us better but I have no complaints with how the people treat me. I'm sure Thais would experience more racism in my country than I do here (basically none at all).

13 hours ago, aqua4 said:

1.) Correct because the country works. 

Mass shootings.

2.) Sure they do. They complain about the blacks who steal from their shop. 

Only black people steal??????? 

2.) Thats not an argument.

3.) Thats not an argument.

Happy we agree about that.

19 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Thailand have thousand of foreigner overstaying. Big problem.

That's true. But some people say that most of the overstaying foreigners are migrant workers from neighbouring countries - Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos. Not farang :)

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1084485-immigration-crackdown-nets-522-law-breaking-foreigners/

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 8:30 AM, FredGallaher said:

Yinn, you are more outspoken than many Thai women, but definitely Thai.  Girls in general (inc Thai's ) might me more reserved at first, but watch out. There is a lot of pressure in the bottle once the cork is pulled. 

Thai in public are mostly complacent and don't complain. They are always polite and mostly non critical. But, in private they are different and have deep thoughts. Perhaps the animosity of this forum allows you to say what's really inside.

Most farang don't see this because they don't speak or understand Thai at an adequate level. Most Thais don't have the command of English you have, so discussions are limited. 

This forum is useful in many regards, but is not representative of my views and many others in regard to Thai people and Thailand in general. It's usually the same few that post a lot of garbage. Others that disagree (probably mostly agree with you) get drown out.

Thanks for your needed contributions.

Good comment IMO.  Although I wouldn't agree that Thais are "always" polite, but in broad strokes sure, "mostly" non-critical and compliant, which may be one factor leading to the unhealthy "pressure in a bottle" dynamic you mention.  

When I was learning Thai, and at other times when I was made aware of what others were saying and the context, I was frequently disappointed, which can be a hard pill to swallow at first.  Especially for the Rose-tinted Glasses crowd who work very hard at maintaining a protective delusion that Thailand is an exception to the rules found virtually everywhere else on Earth, and that Thais are child-like homogeneous droids with perma-smiles, and unflappable dispositions, thanks to Buddhism. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

Hmmmmm I think maybe because thai woman so wonderful.

A common problem in Thailand, you treat you farang husband like a big god and they get lazy, disobedient and like the guy I quote in the OP?

ps. It a song.

ps. Not everyone same. Some naughty, some lovely. 

Yes Thai women are wonderful but you don't see what you are doing to your children. Even the song doesn't recognise that the son's bad behaviour is really the fault of the parents for giving him everything he wants.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

On the whole, yes. Wouldn’t lend them money though.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

"Lend" translates as "give" in Thai. I have loaned Thais money but I didn't expect it to be returned. Rarely have I been surprised. Just another aspect of Thai culture that you have to accept and live with.

"Lend" translates as "give" in Thai. I have loaned Thais money but I didn't expect it to be returned. Rarely have I been surprised. Just another aspect of Thai culture that you have to accept and live with.

Lolz, there is a specific word for “lend” in Thai, “Yuem hai” or something, but yeah, they’re not great at repayments

Sent from my FisherPrice telephone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:11 PM, Greyhat said:

I love Thai people, they're much friendlier than people in my country. This forum is filled with negativity and it's good to understand that foreigners often express themselves more abrasively than Thais seem to. I hope this forum doesn't give you a negative opinion about all foreigners, some of us are lovely, I promise ????

Over decades I have had contact with thousands of Thais. I find them more polite, but no more "friendly" than those I have contact with in western countries. The only "friendly" ones were the ones seeking to enrich themselves at my expense. Mind you, I certainly enjoyed enriching many of them.

16 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Lolz, there is a specific word for “lend” in Thai, “Yuem hai” or something, but yeah, they’re not great at repayments

Sent from my FisherPrice telephone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

LOL. My ex was very clever at "lending" money from me and never paying it back. She even got 3,000 out of me AFTER we were divorced- my bad.

She also lied about everything.

On 9/20/2019 at 11:33 AM, Lacessit said:

One of the Thai female golfers at my club, over dinner, remarked she enjoyed eating bulls#%t. It took two of us some time to work out she meant blue cheese.

My wife  kept on about how good the "Nakorn Chai air" bus   "Golf Cart" service  was...after a bit of head scratching it turns out she meant their  "Gold Class" service was very good.