Do you like Thai people?

Yinn

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

We're trying to fit in.

Ahhh... assimilation is it?

It makes me ponder what most TV'ers consider Thainess to be.

Is Thainess those unique and hugely annoying social and cultural traits that a Thai person, business or government entity exhibits that a certain unique and hugely annoying TV demographic funds hugely annoying.

Or is Thainess the hugely annoying tendency of another hugely annoying TV demographic to boast about how they accept, acquiesce, embrace and even adopt these hugely annoying Thai ways entirely, despite how hugely annoying these things are?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It makes me ponder what most TV'ers consider Thainess to be.

IMHO for a male it's being drunk all the time, driving without a helmet, licence, tax or insurance, banging all the women you can, carrying a weapon with the intention of using it at the slightest excuse, and not accepting any responsibility for any of your actions. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I inadvertently walked on a bill for a couple of beers at Bill Bentley's pub at HKT. I did recall seeing the waitress prowling the departures hall as I waited for the boarding call but it was only when I was airborne, I realized I hadn't paid.

It was 4 weeks before I transited through HKT again but I made a point of going to the bar and asking about the unpaid bill and the waitress. They made a phone call and asked me to wait so I had a beer. About 30 minutes later, the waitress I had stiffed arrived. She had been off-shift and they had called her in. She was very effusive in her thanks for my honesty and coming across that it was entirely her fault for allowing me to leave without paying which essentially it was. Yes, despite a high customer turnover, business is business and she still got nailed for the 600 baht tab I walked on (bloody expensive stuff is Guinness!) and it was docked from her pay the previous month.

I am the sort of farang that most other hater farangs on TV would call deplorable in that I tipped generously on BOTH the previously unpaid bill, the new one and an extra 100 baht just for the waitress after the staff getting her out of bed to comer in. Some of those other farangs may equate this with what they politely and frequently acknowledge as 'taxi money'?

Not same same, but...……….

I deposited a traveller's cheque for 100,000 baht ( in sterling ) at a bank in LOS and the teller managed to make it a million baht somehow. I was tempted to keep it, but pointed it out to her. However, while the teller did say thank you, she wasn't overtly grateful.

The first time I ever went to Bkk I visited a bar near Patpong, but didn't realise that a lady drink was way more than my drink. I was expecting something bad to happen to me ( I didn't have enough on me for the bill ), but the waiter just laughed and asked me to "pay later". I did go back and paid for the lady drink, but don't remember if I tipped as well. The girl didn't speak a word of English and just looked puzzled about it all.

Happy days, way back then.

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

IMHO for a male it's being drunk all the time, driving without a helmet, licence, tax or insurance, banging all the women you can, carrying a weapon with the intention of using it at the slightest excuse, and not accepting any responsibility for any of your actions. 

OK, got that.

Now how about your definition of Thainess as practiced by the Thai male?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I inadvertently walked on a bill for a couple of beers at Bill Bentley's pub at HKT. I did recall seeing the waitress prowling the departures hall as I waited for the boarding call but it was only when I was airborne, I realized I hadn't paid.

It was 4 weeks before I transited through HKT again but I made a point of going to the bar and asking about the unpaid bill and the waitress. They made a phone call and asked me to wait so I had a beer. About 30 minutes later, the waitress I had stiffed arrived. She had been off-shift and they had called her in. She was very effusive in her thanks for my honesty and coming across that it was entirely her fault for allowing me to leave without paying which essentially it was. Yes, despite a high customer turnover, business is business and she still got nailed for the 600 baht tab I walked on (bloody expensive stuff is Guinness!) and it was docked from her pay the previous month.

I am the sort of farang that most other hater farangs on TV would call deplorable in that I tipped generously on BOTH the previously unpaid bill, the new one and an extra 100 baht just for the waitress after the staff getting her out of bed to comer in. Some of those other farangs may equate this with what they politely and frequently acknowledge (or refuse to pay) as 'taxi money'?

To true!

IMO, Inadvertantly walking and then fixing it up is one thing. (cudos to you)

but breaking something and then saying

"oh, im not paying for that" and justifying it with the

" In my own country...." bla bla

very poor form to say the least!

52 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However, while the teller did say thank you, she wasn't overtly grateful.

Happened to me at Coffee  World the other week, gave him 1000 baht, cake I bought was 210baht and he  gave me back 990baht...........pointed it  out to him, he  said  nothing but a   voice behind him from a woman thanked me.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

OK, got that.

Now how about your definition of Thainess as practiced by the Thai male?

You'll need a  new  thread about the length of the "compulsory insurance for farangs"  a  while  back announcement from TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metempsychotic said:

she was certainly feminine, but female debatable.

she seems to have gone far off the thai visa radar, she used however to be quite prolific

Thought she/he was living in Europe somewhere but was a  good  read, had a  lot of admirers I seem to remember.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Of course you should have bloody paid for it WITHOUT BEING ASKED TO.

Have you dropped and broken a bottle of baby oil in a small shop Cambodia or Nepal or India yet?

Do you read? A small plastic bottle should not crack. That is why they don't sell it a real store like 7-11. It is defective cheap quality.

In Thailand you are protect under consumer protection act for defective product. I shouldn't even been asked to pay for it, let alone threatened with police. It was probably cracked before. Typical Thai scam.

They won't sell scam items in Nepal or Cambodia because nobody would pay for it and the police wouldn't come. It is only in an authoritarian police state that people abuse power.

Edited by Don Chance
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

she was certainly feminine, but female debatable.

she seems to have gone far off the thai visa radar, she used however to be quite prolific

Why do you think that, did you try to date her??

8 hours ago, thaibutty said:

Why do you hate farang so much?

I dont want to live with a farang either, and Im a farang. Hell, wait, Im going to throw myself out of the condo so I dont have to live with me!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

My sister, replete with teaching degrees and a Master's in English Lit was denied a teaching position in Hawaii because they reckoned her Englsh speech didn't SOUND English enough.

She got over it eventually.

It doesn't appear to bother my daughter at all actually, it's me that gets my pants in a twist. Her English is so perfect, if you spoke to her on the phone you'd think she came from Richmond upon Thames, yet her teachers, who's English is so bad you'd think they'd been dropped on their head, think they can correct it. Good grief it makes me angry.

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've got a Thai cycling pal, taught English for 30 years before retiring, can't speak one word of English.

One of my Thai nephews, now an engineer in our company, studied Ingrish at University. He can't string together a single sentence in English. And Thai people wonder why Farang-kind are critical of the system.

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Well, I studied Spanish at the university for 2 years and can't order a Taco.

Yeah but he has a degree that says he can speak English. Do you have a degree that says you can speak Spanish?

As I said to my daughter, a Thai degree, generally speaking, is worthless. She's applying to Chula, probably the only university here that can award degrees that are worth the paper they're on.

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Yinn is an exception and has a good vocabulary (as a second language).

I dont know that she is exception, over the past three years I have become a magnet for Uni students seeking to practice their English (go over to Chatuchak on a weekend). Now granted, I am cute and cuddly, as well as being blatantly American, so I get hit on more often than some singlet wearing scurrilous westerner, but regardless, I can sometimes do 2 or 3 a day over there.

And honestly, about 90% of the ones I talk do have a decent level of English, that unfortunately, will always be at some certain level and stop because they dont speak it every day.

And thats the key: learn it AND use it, or learn it in the cradle, or have a gift. Otherwise, nobody going to speak a second laguage well.

Now I met a unform girl from  Phitsanulok that was like 14 and spoke PERFECT conversational real American English. She said she learned in school and from TV. Her family chaperoned her to find English folks for her to talk to and they were utter peasants, you know they probably couldnt read Thai. But she had a gift, and no matter what ones circumstances in life, folks can have a gift and Im sure she is going somewhere, since she was doing things like simultaneously translating with her kin.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NilSS said:

As I said to my daughter, a Thai degree, generally speaking, is worthless.

So is a degree from a whole bunch of USA Universities, unless you want to wear a pussy hat, hate men and hate yourself for your privledge.

5 hours ago, aqua4 said:

I can give you loads of examples but let me start with one that struck me the most.

Friend of my wife (Thai woman + Thai man) has lived in America for 20 years and they own a small store. One day she started to rant about Thai people because they allow the country to go to the dogs.

That is not the same example.

They not complain about the country they want to live in.

Not complain about the US people, say they hate them. If they do hate them I would ask “why you want live there, all the bad people”

You not understand the point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

I dont know that she is exception, over the past three years I have become a magnet for Uni students seeking to practice their English (go over to Chatuchak on a weekend). Now granted, I am cute and cuddly, as well as being blatantly American, so I get hit on more often than some singlet wearing scurrilous westerner, but regardless, I can sometimes do 2 or 3 a day over there.

And honestly, about 90% of the ones I talk do have a decent level of English, that unfortunately, will always be at some certain level and stop because they dont speak it every day.

And thats the key: learn it AND use it, or learn it in the cradle, or have a gift. Otherwise, nobody going to speak a second laguage well.

Now I met a unform girl from  Phitsanulok that was like 14 and spoke PERFECT conversational real American English. She said she learned in school and from TV. Her family chaperoned her to find English folks for her to talk to and they were utter peasants, you know they probably couldnt read Thai. But she had a gift, and no matter what ones circumstances in life, folks can have a gift and Im sure she is going somewhere, since she was doing things like simultaneously translating with her kin.

Is the reason I play thaivisa. Train my English.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

Is the reason I play thaivisa. Train my English.

Only pay attention to the Americans then, otherwise you will learn some bastardized version of it. In fact, you dont want to learn English, you want to learn American ????

Thats the way you want to roll, dude....like a Yank.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aqua4 said:

Start with your immigration policies and compare that to ANY Western country where Thai people live and then ask me again about perception. Then look at how a foreigner can only own 49% of apartments or a business in Thailand. Is that not anti-Foreigner?

Same western country. My friend want to buy small house before in Australia. The law says can not. 

USA want to build wall.

Brexit.

Your education not so good if you not know about that.

5 hours ago, aqua4 said:

Its your nationalism which has been drilled into your head at school which is blinding you to your own errors and short comings. That is where the fault lays when you are blind.

Maybe you blind.

In Thailand you can buy some real estate. Same as foreigner western country.

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/the-facts-about-foreign-buyers/