Anyone tried this in Thailand?

watcharacters

Considering the amount of rainfall in Thailand, I'm surprised i didn't look into this earlier.

I did use  a no rain product in the USA and found it to work very well.  Applying  it was   a little tricky as the bottle warned it could damage paint if mistakenly applied to it.

Has anyone tried this product  which is available on Lazada? 

1361694760_norain.png.b95dbcf999a4992b4eb9ad3dc449eba8.png

If it's anything like what I used in the states it really isn't a car polish but as it says it's a rain repellent.      And I mean it eliminates the need for windshield wipers.   Its really that good if it works the same as  what I know from before.     

Never tried this product in Thailand, however, therefore I asked the question.

I've been using Rain-X since 1979

- wouldn't be without it! 

it is true, to not let it get on to your paint 

this is why I'd never buy it in one of those spray bottle variants!! 

There is a correct 'way' to apply it to the glass.

The instructions have some misdirecting parts, to be aware of... 

but in short:

Apply the Rain-X directly to the glass

Use a face tissue, or even say 3 squares of toilet roll tissue

Don't go applying with a cloth, as the acid in the solution will eventually turn the material to dust (takes a few weeks if you put it aside to see for yourself)

With the glass wettened with Rain-X, swirl the paper in overlapping circular sweeps. never in a  back'n'forth motion. 

Instructions then go on, to later wipe the glass over with a dampened cloth, to remove haze.

- BS to that!

Don't do that latter wipe at all!  

Get your waterhose nozzle set to a Jet, or a strong mist stream.

Stand at front centre of car, and do a good rainstorm at the window. 

Lastly fill a tupperware-like open jug, now standing by the fender; lean over and pour a stream water back across the window.'

Note that it is immediately bone dry, where you have just past the water!  

lastly... unless you are driving immediately

LEAVE the wipers UP, even overnight...

there is still for a while, traces of the 'acid' of the Rain-X on the glass.

Not being aware of that, can lead to rapidly deteriorating rubber of the wiper blades 

I first encountered Rain-X, back in 1979, as it was being used on (Military) aircraft glass!  

I've told many dudes of the benefits/drawbacks, and methods of applying the stuff.

Once I did just the driver's half of our airfield vehicle, a Hi-ACE.  We were in tropical darwin, and the rains were fantastic! 

My half was going bonedry, the water flinging away like water off a duck's back... the passenger's half was a globbly mess of stayput water...

So - on your very first application of Rain-X: try doing one half only! - and you WILL see the difference. 

heh heh heh why stop here? 

- anpother demo I did for another Airforce fella; 

He was washing his muddy 4WD.

I treated his rear passenger window

I picked up his bucket of muddy water, and splatted it all over down the side  of the 4WD

The 4WD was again all muddy, except for that one window!...

I bought this from Big C, cheap as chips if I remember correctly, I didn't know about the acid reaction but yeah keep it off the paintwork, make sure that the screen is as clean as possible, maybe use an alcohol based cleaner, apply in a circular motion. Then buff up. Works great.

IMG_20190920_203740.jpg

15 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I bought this from Big C, cheap as chips if I remember correctly, I didn't know about the acid reaction but yeah keep it off the paintwork, make sure that the screen is as clean as possible, maybe use an alcohol based cleaner, apply in a circular motion. Then buff up. Works great.

IMG_20190920_203740.jpg

I have tried many of the cheaper spinoffs... 

what makes the Rain-X stand out;

is that you can apply it straight onto a dirty grotty glass! 

No need to pre-clean/pre-wash...

The Rain-X is actually cleaning the glass. 

Yes I even tested this concept over a number of months... never washing the window... ust simply apply some more Rain-X. and rinse off...

32 minutes ago, tifino said:

The only reason I bought it was cos we were in Big C at the time and I came across it so thought I would give it go, it works for me so I'm happy ????  

32 minutes ago, tifino said:

2 hours ago, tifino said:

what makes the Rain-X stand out;

is that you can apply it straight onto a dirty grotty glass! 

No need to pre-clean/pre-wash...

The Rain-X is actually cleaning the glass. 

Yes I even tested this concept over a number of months... never washing the window... ust simply apply some more Rain-X. and rinse off...

Rain-X is great stuff.  For the paint, if you want the water to roll off the same way, this is what I’ve been using for years.

https://www.zymol.com/vintage.aspx

1 minute ago, MadMuhammad said:

Can’t argue with that then ????????

I had a hobby/business detailing high end cars for doctors.  If someone called me with a beat to **** SUV that they were trying to sell I would tell them that I wasn’t their guy.  Never advertised...strictly word of mouth.  Have since given it away to my friend who bought my 993 when I moved to Thailand.  

I'm surprised there are still people buying these products for their cars. A complete waste of money.

Modern clear coats on cars have eliminated the need for polishes, waxes etc. The best way to maintain a car's paint coating is to wash with plain water ( NO detergent ) and dry off with a chamois leather. Once a month is enough.

Lighter colours such as silver, white, sand etc. are easiest to maintain. Black and red are bad news to keep clean.

The Vios below is 13 years old, and does not have a speck of rust. BTW, not for sale.

IMG20170404083444.jpg

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm surprised there are still people buying these products for their cars. A complete waste of money.

Modern clear coats on cars have eliminated the need for polishes, waxes etc. The best way to maintain a car's paint coating is to wash with plain water ( NO detergent ) and dry off with a chamois leather. Once a month is enough.

Lighter colours such as silver, white, sand etc. are easiest to maintain. Black and red are bad news to keep clean.

The Vios below is 13 years old, and does not have a speck of rust. BTW, not for sale.

IMG20170404083444.jpg

The OP's was asking advice about Rain-X water repellent treatment for windshields.          So, lacking reading comprehension on your part, leads you to provide your 2-cents on maintaining a vehicles paint finish, another subject which you appear to have limited knowledge about. There's nothing special about modern car clear-coat finishes. Clear-coat is paint without color pigment added to it. Clear-coat paint will oxidize, dry out, flake and peel in the same way as pigment paint, without proper care.   

On 9/20/2019 at 8:29 PM, tifino said:

I've been using Rain-X since 1979

- wouldn't be without it! 

it is true, to not let it get on to your paint 

this is why I'd never buy it in one of those spray bottle variants!! 

There is a correct 'way' to apply it to the glass.

The instructions have some misdirecting parts, to be aware of... 

but in short:

Apply the Rain-X directly to the glass

Use a face tissue, or even say 3 squares of toilet roll tissue

Don't go applying with a cloth, as the acid in the solution will eventually turn the material to dust (takes a few weeks if you put it aside to see for yourself)

With the glass wettened with Rain-X, swirl the paper in overlapping circular sweeps. never in a  back'n'forth motion. 

Instructions then go on, to later wipe the glass over with a dampened cloth, to remove haze.

- BS to that!

Don't do that latter wipe at all!  

Get your waterhose nozzle set to a Jet, or a strong mist stream.

Stand at front centre of car, and do a good rainstorm at the window. 

Lastly fill a tupperware-like open jug, now standing by the fender; lean over and pour a stream water back across the window.'

Note that it is immediately bone dry, where you have just past the water!  

lastly... unless you are driving immediately

LEAVE the wipers UP, even overnight...

there is still for a while, traces of the 'acid' of the Rain-X on the glass.

Not being aware of that, can lead to rapidly deteriorating rubber of the wiper blades 

I first encountered Rain-X, back in 1979, as it was being used on (Military) aircraft glass!  

I've told many dudes of the benefits/drawbacks, and methods of applying the stuff.

Once I did just the driver's half of our airfield vehicle, a Hi-ACE.  We were in tropical darwin, and the rains were fantastic! 

My half was going bonedry, the water flinging away like water off a duck's back... the passenger's half was a globbly mess of stayput water...

So - on your very first application of Rain-X: try doing one half only! - and you WILL see the difference. 

heh heh heh why stop here? 

- anpother demo I did for another Airforce fella; 

He was washing his muddy 4WD.

I treated his rear passenger window

I picked up his bucket of muddy water, and splatted it all over down the side  of the 4WD

The 4WD was again all muddy, except for that one window!...

Rain-X is also great on motorcycle helmet visors, I'd go as far as to say it could save your life by keeping your vision clear.  I learned this on a job that had me doing 50,000 miles a year on bikes; Rain-X on the outside, Anti-Fog on the inside, religiously applied every week. 

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMG20170404083444.jpg

yes, but the Rain-X product here in the OP's post is just about the standard glass treatment product.

Nothing to do with paints/duco/panels... 

EDIT

... and then, only after Posting the above, I now see that @tweedledee2 has already addressed the very same... 

12 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

The OP's was asking advice about Rain-X water repellent treatment for windshields.          So, lacking reading comprehension on your part, leads you to provide your 2-cents on maintaining a vehicles paint finish, another subject which you appear to have limited knowledge about. There's nothing special about modern car clear-coat finishes. Clear-coat is paint without color pigment added to it. Clear-coat paint will oxidize, dry out, flake and peel in the same way as pigment paint, without proper care.   

Rather sad your mission in life seems to be  putting down other posters. Your own comprehension doesn't appear to extend beyond the OP, as it was subsequent posters who introduced polishes and waxes.

The evidence is there in a photo. Has never had money wasted on polish. Plain water is the only care needed.

Apropos the OP, windscreens can be treated far less expensively by the application of a mild silica abrasive such as Bon Ami. Happy now?

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Apropos the OP, windscreens can be treated far less expensively by the application of a mild silica abrasive such as Bon Ami.

Rain X is hardly expensive at Bt.200 for a 650ml bottle... never seen Bon Ami in Thailand but I would be reluctant to use an abrasive on and surface of my car let alone the windscreen.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Rather sad your mission in life seems to be  putting down other posters. Your own comprehension doesn't appear to extend beyond the OP, as it was subsequent posters who introduced polishes and waxes.

The evidence is there in a photo. Has never had money wasted on polish. Plain water is the only care needed.

Apropos the OP, windscreens can be treated far less expensively by the application of a mild silica abrasive such as Bon Ami. Happy now?

Those subsequent posters also lack reading comprehension and their responses also did not address the OP.  It is said a picture is worth a thousand words but a photo can be deceiving, for it appears the paint pigment on your left fender is different than the hood.  Continue washing your car with water, but I'm doubtful many readers would follow your regimen.   I would never use Bon Ami as a window rain treatment as it wouldn't work.  But, I have used Barkeepers Friend to clean windshields before applying a rain repellent. 

7 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

Those subsequent posters also lack reading comprehension and their responses also did not address the OP.  It is said a picture is worth a thousand words but a photo can be deceiving, for it appears the paint pigment on your left fender is different than the hood.  Continue washing your car with water, but I'm doubtful many readers would follow your regimen.   I would never use Bon Ami as a window rain treatment as it wouldn't work.  But, I have used Barkeepers Friend to clean windshields before applying a rain repellent. 

You are visually challenged if you can't tell the difference between shade and light, which is why the left fender looks different. Rain treatment, what BS. Just rub a cut potato on the windscreen. Fools and their money are soon parted.

Archived