Karaoke Singer Accuses Policeman Of Chopping Her Arm Off

Mid

Updated article with significant (and horrendous) new details:

Officer suspended over horrendous assault

A policeman based in Saraburi was yesterday suspended from duty pending an investigation into his alleged role in last month's attack on a woman whose arm was chopped off after she refused to share a table with him and two security volunteers at a local restaurant.

Pol Lance Corporal Nirut Thammasap has been charged with attempted murder and causing serious injuries, along with carrying a government-owned firearm while off duty. The alleged attack on Suphansa Wichanant took place on February 25 after he and the two other men chased her on two motorcycles when she was escaping from them.

Pol Lt General Pratchaya Sutthapreeda, chief of the Provincial Police Bureau 1, said Nirat Kongtham was the assailant who carried the knife and chopped off the victim's right arm above her elbow while riding pillion on a motorcycle driven by Prasarn Bundok. Nirut was riding another motorcycle alongside them.

The civilians have been charged with the same offences, excluding the one relating to the firearm. The three suspects have been released on bail after they turned themselves in to Ban Mor police station, to which Nirut is assigned.

Pratchaya said Nirut's superior officers at Ban Mor station and Pol Lieutenant Thanawan Marttraraj, the duty officer on the night of the crime, would also face disciplinary action for allegedly helping Nirut by distorting the facts of the investigation report to read that Suphansa lost her arm in a road accident.

The victim, a hostess at a karaoke bar in Ban Mor district, lodged a petition with acting police chief Seripisut Temiyavej on Tuesday because there had been no progress in Ban Mor police's investigation nearly one month after the attack.

In a press interview, Suphansa said she was eating alone at the restaurant before the three men, apparently drunk, approached her and verbally harassed her in a sexual way. They called her over to sit with them at their table but she refused. She scolded them after they moved to her table and continued harassing her.

The three men snatched the key to her motorcycle when she was about to leave the restaurant and demanded that she go with them to sing in one of their rooms. Suphansa said the key was returned to her after she scolded them more rudely.

She said the men then followed her on two motorcycles and Nirat chopped off her right arm with a long knife when his motorcycle caught up to hers. Despite the attack she tried to continue her escape, using her left hand to hold the accelerator, before she crashed the motorcycle, resulting in her right shin being broken in three places.

Suphansa said a number of Ban Mor police officers interviewed her the morning after the attack at a hospital where she was treated for her injuries. But the police concluded that her account was not valid because she was still in shock.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A policeman based in Saraburi was yesterday suspended from duty pending an investigation into his alleged role in last month's attack on a woman whose arm was chopped off after she refused to share a table with him and two security volunteers at a local restaurant.

Pol Lance Corporal Nirut Thammasap has been charged with attempted murder and causing serious injuries, along with carrying a government-owned firearm while off duty. The alleged attack on Suphansa Wichanant took place on February 25 after he and the two other men chased her on two motorcycles when she was escaping from them.

So this guy has been on active duty for a month after the attack, disgusting.
The victim, a hostess at a karaoke bar in Ban Mor district, lodged a petition with acting police chief Seripisut Temiyavej on Tuesday because there had been no progress in Ban Mor police's investigation nearly one month after the attack.

And if she hadn't of done that then nothing would have been done.

Let's hope Pol Lt General Pratchaya Sutthapreeda is indeed one of the good guys and brings these scum to justice.

We all can and probably will spend time speculating on what the perpetrators should recieve for their crimes. Then we will go and eat our dinners and watch our football.

My thoughts are they will indeed get off. All three are free as I understand. The only possibility of any sort of justice being brought forth is if this story gets international press - not likely as well.

Sadly, the end result will be those who are bad apples in both the military and the police becoming more emboldened with every transgression they make.

Hey, wait, I thought this was the land of Dhama. :o

My thoughts are they will indeed get off. All three are free as I understand. The only possibility of any sort of justice being brought forth is if this story gets international press - not likely as well.

According to post 4 in this thread this story has already reached the international press, someone saw it on the Japanese news. Hopefully with a bit more exposure pressure will be out on to throw the book at these people, though much like yourself I am doubtful of any satisfactory result.

Edited by bkkmadness

Updated article with significant (and horrendous) new details:

Officer suspended over horrendous assault

Pratchaya said Nirut's superior officers at Ban Mor station and Pol Lieutenant Thanawan Marttraraj, the duty officer on the night of the crime, would also face disciplinary action for allegedly helping Nirut by distorting the facts of the investigation report to read that Suphansa lost her arm in a road accident.

Suphansa said a number of Ban Mor police officers interviewed her the morning after the attack at a hospital where she was treated for her injuries. But the police concluded that her account was not valid because she was still in shock.

- The Nation

Unbelievable and disgusting. They take "Serve and Protect" to another height; "To Serve and Protect Each Other Only". Horrible, horrible, horrible :o

this kind of "un justice" happand every day every hour every city.

This is not the first and not the last.

This is the way this country being operate here.

Corruption, lies, racist, blackmail, shutting down screens and mouths of people,and I can continue more and more..

Again - This is not surprise ! !

Sad - But true.

(and dont ask me why I'm still here..)

As requested i do not ask you why you are still here,but :why are you not leaving?

Well I think there is the prime indicator of how this will play out..

I am sorry I don't know how to post links yet (I will learn for next time) and (I also hope this is not off topic) :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=111721

This poster Kankaroo should count his blessings, it could have been worse (for him and her) and these things could/can happen to the best and worst of us.

Bluddy Sickening .

(I am still planning on retiring to the LOS though, I will just keep my head down, low profile and hope for the best) :D

Steve :D:D:D

her account was not valid because she was still in shock.

that statement makes a lot of sense actually.

the attack happened late the night before , she had suffered a traumatic amputation of her right arm and multiple fractures to her right leg , and she will have had emergency surgery.

given that the anaesthetic will have barely worn off and she will have been on strong painkillers , i doubt if she could have strung two coherent sentences together , plus the fact that ones memory of severe trauma is distorted for a few days after the event , the above comment is one of the more sensible statements about this event.

a lot is lost in the translation from thai to english , and you shouldnt take them so literally.

from a quick glance at the thai report linked to earlier in the post , it seems as if the police are going to take this case seriously , top public prosecutors are getting involved and its been getting a lot of television and newspaper coverage and i think that the monsters that did it will get long prison sentences.

that the monsters that did it will get long prison sentences.

Let's hope but.....

TiT. If they get long sentences I expect them to serve maybe a quarter of it before getting freed on bail or some nonsense. Apparently having a badge here really means you can do anything you want.

Thai men must be the bravest in the world, as far as I'm concerned this animal lost face when he and his cohorts attacked a young girl, lets see, thai men fight with clubs knives bottles guns etc etc - usually in large numbers - usually on one poor victim male or "female" or falang, maybe thai men need some fundamental schooling on how to be real man

disgusting and very very disturbing

hope this young inocent girl can pick up the pieces and continue her life without any further retribution (unlikely)

yes we have our fair share of criminals and discusting people in the west but they are usually seriously mentally disturbed sick people, this guy had his chat up advances turned down by a young girl so he and his 2 wonderful mates attacked with a large knife and cut her are arm off, <deleted>

how she didn't bleed to death is beyond me, someone must have been very quick thinking at the scene to save her life.

I am sorry I don't know how to post links yet (I will learn for next time) and (I also hope this is not off topic) :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=111721

This poster Kankaroo should count his blessings, it could have been worse (for him and her) and these things could/can happen to the best and worst of us.

Bluddy Sickening .

(I am still planning on retiring to the LOS though, I will just keep my head down, low profile and hope for the best) :bah:

Steve :D:D:D

Keep your arms tucked in as well! .

In some sort of perspective we all know Thailand can be one effed up place in terms of law and order, respectable norms, etc. This latest episode is completely out of order and is typical of some (stress some !) of the BiB who believe they are all powerful because of the uniform. I would dare to say this is one nutter who should never gotten in the force in the first place and I hope, but doubt he will be thrown into some dark stinking pit somewhere, never to resurface, but in reality he'll get off lightly and be soon forgotten.

Pity the poor girl.

There are some good BiB out there !

just not enough ! Don't give up on the retirement plans!

:D

Cop loses badge over stab probe

22/03/2007 21:20 - (SA)

Bangkok - A Thai policeman lost his badge on Thursday in order to facilitate an investigation into accusations that he sliced off a singer's arm after she refused to sit at his table.

slowly being picked up by the international media ...................

i really hope there is some form of justice here .

thai men fight with clubs knives bottles guns etc etc - usually in large numbers - usually on one poor victim male or "female" or falang, maybe thai men need some fundamental schooling on how to be real man

Like real men in the west who don't fight with clubs, bottles or knives in large numbers?

Edited by bkkmadness

thai men fight with clubs knives bottles guns etc etc - usually in large numbers - usually on one poor victim male or "female" or falang, maybe thai men need some fundamental schooling on how to be real man

Like real men in the west who don't fight with clubs, bottles or knives in large numbers?

The action of three men doesn't warrant racist comments.

Well, it does seem to be the norm here. That's why in war Thailand capitulates quickly because it's no longer "fair" according to their standards. See: WW2 vs Japan

Sorry BKKM, Normally one to agree with your posts.. But using weapons and dogpacking during fights, having any sense of when 'enough is enough' seems to be very much the norm..

Sorry BKKM, Normally one to agree with your posts.. But using weapons and dogpacking during fights, having any sense of when 'enough is enough' seems to be very much the norm..

Happens all over British towns every Friday night, people dog packing on one poor dude and that guy ending up getting kicked to death or at least very close to it. Just today 5 men have been charged over the stabbing to death of a 17 yr old boy.

I think better to concentrate the anger and comments on the three Thai men involved rather than all Thai men.

i just read about this today.

seems that at least the officer in charge is also about to get taken down as well for cover up. why would someone want to cover up this kind of behavior?

but then i read another article about an entire squad of us soldiers in iraq carrying out an execution.

evil exists. i suppose that it exists in those to whom we entrust our safety makes it all the more frightening.

We all can and probably will spend time speculating on what the perpetrators should recieve for their crimes. Then we will go and eat our dinners and watch our football.

Sadly, the end result will be those who are bad apples in both the military and the police becoming more emboldened with every transgression they make.

Hey, wait, I thought this was the land of Dhama. :o

Well, I believe in karma and its only a matter of time before these animals get their just deserts.

Maybe we could all help this along by emailing this story/links to the media in our respective home towns/countries.

The authorities certainly reacted to the John Mark Carr thing here as well as the travel warnings after the New Year bombings.

Today's Top Stories

Provincial police 'covering up officer's assault'

By Heamakarn Sricharatchanya

A karaoke singer travelled 100 kilometres from Saraburi province to Bangkok to ask for justice from National Police Chief Seripisuth Temiyavej, alleging that a drunken police officer and his two friends chopped off her arm after she refused their order to sit with them at a food shop.

The 24-year-old Supansa Wichanand, with her right arm amputated and broken leg in a cast, arrived at the Royal Thai Police office on Wednesday to hand a letter to Pol Gen Seripisuth. Her petition asked the national police chief to give her a fair hearing and justice.

In the letter, she accused Pol Lance Corporal Nirut Thammasap, a squad leader of Ban Mo district police, and his two companions for putting her in this condition with a brutal, late-night attack almost a month ago.