Best anti rust paint for steel?

steelepulse

I have some steel that supports quite a bit of weight.  Over the years it has started to rust and I am looking for a solution that perhaps will slow down the rust and coat the steel with some sort of anti rust properties.

I know there is the gray paint used on boats and such, but I can't recall what it is.  Any other options out there that are proven?

If you want the best then you need to look in the automotive arena.

The first thing you will want to find is  called a "rust converter" this is an acid that will neutralize the rust and stop the reaction from continuing. You actually don't need to remove the existing rust as you just coat the rusting metal and it will turn it black. Who uses this is auto restores and its fairly cheap and works very well.

The best finish you can apply on that is a two part epoxy. Again I would recommend an automotive epoxy. They make it in Rayong and its very cheap. Go to an automotive paint store for this as well. That would be the best. One thing is you will need to spray it on as it is just a hair thicker then water and have an air-compressor. It's the best and works very very well.

It's super important that you either convert the existing rust or you totally remove it. You can't simply coat rust as it the reaction between oxygen and iron will just occur under your coating.

In automotive coating the expression is "less is more"  Several good thin coats is simply better then a single fat thick coat.

I believe Matthew 777 is recommending the correct sort of product. I'll wager that TOA Rust Tech is that level of product. It is sold at better builder merchants, better TOA paint dealers, Thai Watsadu and HomePro in Buriram. A two part system that has instructions in English and Thai on the paint pails. 

Buriram Thailand TOA Rust Inhibitor converter.jpg

2 minutes ago, johng said:

I've seen Hammerite in spray cans  at  Hardware House ( Bahn Amphur branch)  they didn't have the color I wanted so didn't get a can to try.

Can you remember approximately where on the racks by chance?  I was in there last week searching high and low with two sales staff they had never heard of it. All they had was Rust-Oleum white

6 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Can you remember approximately where on the racks by chance?  I was in there last week searching high and low with two sales staff they had never heard of it. All they had was Rust-Oleum white

It was on the racks against the wall near the paint mixing machine..there is/was  a small section with  camouflage, fluorescent and chrome  and  I think 2 colors of hammerite  green and blue..no black I was interested in black.

TOA makes a great rust converter, but be advised, they call it rust remover.

RustTech is the best primer I’ve ever used. It sticks great to virtually any steel, including galvanized and stainless. We used it on several big orders we shipped to tunnel projects in Australia, and had to run it through a 20 year life cycle salt test. The project manager was so impressed with it they tried to import it to Australia to use on other components but they had too much trouble with the Australia’s version of EPA.

The only big downside is that it ONLY HAS A 60 MINUTE POT LIFE. You must be aware of this, and if you are not doing the painting make sure you supervise. It’s been about 5-8 years since I’ve used it, so the pot life may have been extended, but be sure to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Zinga 

https://www.demarctrading.com/zinga-59233.page

The Thai distributor does not show the 1KG tin of brush on zinga, don't know if the dist. sells small quantities???

Brush off all loose rust and debris, degrease and slap or spray it on... quick wash next year and give it a refresh coat.

Don't leave the lid off, it will dry out and you would need the solvent as well...

you really need to wire brush/sand paper it first to remove any loose rust, then dust it thoroughly,  then apply rust converter, once this is done most rust paints will suffice, a hammer tone type, rust tech or similar are your best bet, its the rust converter that makes it work best though as it modifies/changes the rust so when re coated it will not break down again, did this as part of my trade for close to 40 years so I know it works and last for many years

Is this what you are referring to?  Reading their description and what Matthew777 wrote this product turns steel black.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/toa-g2007-rust-converter-i262783294-s405085220.html?ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI8J_toITr5AIViBWPCh3ZAwCzEAQYAyABEgKAvPD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3152!3!286179630377!!!u!296030489971!&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-296030489971!c!296030489971!405085220!122577618!286179630377&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8J_toITr5AIViBWPCh3ZAwCzEAQYAyABEgKAvPD_BwE

34 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

TOA makes a great rust converter, but be advised, they call it rust remover.

RustTech is the best primer I’ve ever used. It sticks great to virtually any steel, including galvanized and stainless. We used it on several big orders we shipped to tunnel projects in Australia, and had to run it through a 20 year life cycle salt test. The project manager was so impressed with it they tried to import it to Australia to use on other components but they had too much trouble with the Australia’s version of EPA.

The only big downside is that it ONLY HAS A 60 MINUTE POT LIFE. You must be aware of this, and if you are not doing the painting make sure you supervise. It’s been about 5-8 years since I’ve used it, so the pot life may have been extended, but be sure to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

rust converter.jpeg

Probably, but it looks like a new more accurate label.

The stuff I used turns the rust black as well.

Scrape the existing loose paint and scale, wash with soap and water and brush it on. Don’t stray it unless you have a haz-mat suit and an air-line respirator.

Leave it for few days (at least overnight) and wash it off.

I went to look again today, they didn't have any hammerite where I thought I saw it.

5 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Only if you want to be poisoned by the stuff, it was banned in the EU years ago, along with paraquat,  and asbestos.

Red oxide won't poison you. I merely mentioned red lead for the benefit of older people (like myself) who could assimilate the two products. Never mind.

Rust converters come in two types - phosphoric acid based, and tannic acids. The tannic acids are more of a barrier type inhibitor. Phosphoric acid converts the rust to iron phosphate, which makes a good key for paint. From memory, Rust Oleum is a tannic type.

I'm not sure whether chromate-based paints are still allowed. They have always been the best protection for steel.

As other posters have said, it is essential to remove as much rust as possible. Relying on conversion packages to convert thick layers of rust scale will probably mean having to do it all over again in a year's time.

24 minutes ago, grollies said:

Red oxide won't poison you. I merely mentioned red lead for the benefit of older people (like myself) who could assimilate the two products. Never mind.

ok but of course all of these things are still available here where people don't enjoy the protections that we get in the UK and elsewhere. Even the US was nearly twenty years behind Europe in banning asbestos.

ok but of course all of these things are still available here where people don't enjoy the protections that we get in the UK and elsewhere. Even the US was nearly twenty years behind Europe in banning asbestos.

Yes, there’s a lot more hysteria about such things in Europe...

2 hours ago, johng said:
On 9/24/2019 at 4:25 PM, Rimmer said:

I went to look again today, they didn't have any hammerite where I thought I saw it.

I also went in today looking, and as you say no spray cans but they did find me some Rust-Oleum in cans :smile: 

But only silver and White  :sad:    B300 for white and B350 for silver, or maybe the other way round I cant remember..

Archived