'tribune' Reporter's Fallacy: Thai Anti-foreigner Sentiment

jbowman1993

Published in The Nation - 23 March 2007

'Tribune' reporter's fallacy: Thai anti-foreigner sentiment

During an interview yesterday, a German executive working in Bangkok told me he was rather concerned about a front-page article on Thailand published the other day by The International Herald Tribune.

The article, "Famed Thai hospitality showing signs of strain: Foreigner-driven growth is re-evaluated" (March 21, 2007), painted a rather gloomy picture on what it perceived to be a shifting sentiment inside Thailand. It portrayed a changing Thailand, which was not only embracing economic nationalism but was also expressing its suspicions toward foreigners.

Thomas Fuller, the correspondent who wrote the article, interviewed several Thais and his subjects all expressed their doubts toward foreigners in one way or another. I am quite amazed by the thrust of this article, which claims that the Thai people have become anti-foreigner only seven months after the coup. This is rather funny. How can the interim government and military leadership persuade the general Thai public to change their feelings toward foreigners in such a short time?

However, the German executive said that when this kind of article is published and read internationally, the people who read it no longer feel confident enough to visit or do business in Thailand. Now Thailand is not only competing against neighbouring countries for investment and tourism, it also has to be aware that countries in the Middle East - Dubai, Qatar, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates - are opening up their countries and attracting visitors from Europe and elsewhere. It also takes less time to fly from Europe to the Middle East than it does to the Far East.

Thailand needs to do a lot of explaining. The German executive told me that contrary to the prevailing negative perception, it is still easy to do business in Thailand.

Let me say this. Thais in general welcome foreigners. They welcomed foreigners in the past, they welcome them now and they will continue to welcome them in the future. Foreigners have contributed to Thailand's economic growth, though some of them have tried to take advantage of us - child sexual abuse or unfair labour treatment, for instance. This should not be unexpected.

Unfortunately, I must say that it is far more convenient for foreigners to visit Thailand and do business here than it is for Thais to travel abroad and do business in other countries. It is not easy for the average Thai citizen to get a visa to the United States, Europe or Japan, but we can't complain because nobody is listening to us. Our voice is not loud enough.

Even now, it is definitely easier to do business in Thailand than it is in China. But I guess China knows what it is doing and writes its own rules, so no foreigner would dare complain. Besides, they dare not bash China because they know how the Chinese can respond in kind.

Probably, it is convenient for them to bash Thailand. The Thais do have a high level of tolerance toward foreigners.

I have never read an article in any foreign media outlet calling for Vietnam or China to set a timetable for a return to democracy. Most foreign articles now praise the economic opportunities in Vietnam and China. Is Singapore now enjoying more democracy than Thailand? Several foreign articles have been attacking the process to draft the new constitution in Thailand, but they have hardly reported on China's charter. Has anybody cared to read the Chinese or the Singaporean constitutions?

It is difficult to compare the different political systems of the countries in this region. Yes, Thailand is in a big transitional mess, but over the medium term, it should emerge all right. But in the meantime, can we fully claim that countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Burma, Brunei, Hong Kong, China are enjoying more democracy than Thailand?

The Surayud government and the military leadership might have shot themselves in the foot by introducing a series of bad policies or by giving some stupid interviews. However, I don't think they have been able to influence the average Thai to become anti-foreigner like the International Herald Tribune tried to suggest. And I don't think they are deliberately drawing up policies to go after foreigners. They are just incompetent. And they have an agenda to go after the remnants of the Thaksin regime. That's all.

The Bank of Thailand erred on the 30 per cent capital controls, but this technical measure has nothing to do with the Surayud government. Yet this measure was the start of the downfall in its confidence index. The Commerce Ministry has to revise the Foreign Business Act because of the political ramifications of the Temasek-Shin Corp deal. One of the reasons that the Thaksin government was toppled was because the Shinawatra family sold off Shin Corp to Singapore. Shin Corp also held sensitive assets such as iTV and Shin Satellite. To prove that Thaksin Shinawatra was wrong in selling off iTV or Shin Satellite to Singapore, the military leadership, for political reasons, has to build up a case against it.

When Singapore learnt that the Surayud government might move against the Shin Corp deal, its authorities sent out a message that Singapore should not be singled out. They also signalled that there should be a level playing field in Thai business law.

This led the Commerce Ministry to work on the amendments of the Foreign Business Act to create this level playing field, although the amendments were not a priority policy in the first place. When the Cabinet approved the draft amendments, foreign investors and foreign businessmen were scared off. And they characterised the 30-per cent reserve requirement and the amendments to the foreign business law as being Thailand's attempt to turn inward.

If Temasek had announced that it would dispose of iTV and Shin Satellite from the outset, it would have helped reduce the pressure on the Surayud government since Temasek had made it known that its original intention was to acquire Advanced Info Services.

I am writing this column because I feel sick and tired of the growing Thailand bashing. Yes, we are in a mess. Yes, we are living in the aftermath of a coup. Yes, we make lots of mistakes. Yes, we need time to resolve our problems. But we don't deserve this bashing because the country has yet to overcome the political divide, which is the root of all the uncertainty.

Thanong Khanthong

Unfortunately, I must say that it is far more convenient for foreigners to visit Thailand and do business here than it is for Thais to travel abroad and do business in other countries. It is not easy for the average Thai citizen to get a visa to the United States, Europe or Japan, but we can't complain because nobody is listening to us. Our voice is not loud enough.

Well, we all know that this is idea is uninformed. My Thai wife can hop on a plane to the US, and purchase any house or piece of land that she feels like, as long as she has the cash to do it.

Edited by jbowman1993

Well, we all know that this is idea is uninformed. My Thai wife can hop on a plane to the US, and purchase any house or piece of land that she feels like, as long as she has the cash to do it.

Perhaps, your Thai wife can do this. But at least 80% of Thais are prohibited from acquiring a visa to the US. The US allows just about anyone to buy land and houses in the US, but it will not let the vast majority of the world's inhabitants entry to have access to any property they may have legally acquired.

Edited by mdeland

The Surayud government and the military leadership might have shot themselves in the foot by introducing a series of bad policies or by giving some stupid interviews. However, I don't think they have been able to influence the average Thai to become anti-foreigner like the International Herald Tribune tried to suggest. And I don't think they are deliberately drawing up policies to go after foreigners. They are just incompetent. And they have an agenda to go after the remnants of the Thaksin regime. That's all.

Ouch! :D:o

Ouch! :D:D

Interesting. Can you elaborate a bit?

I think it could be the case that they are testing the waters to see what they can get away with. They push a new policy that adversely affects foreigners, then if it backfires they pull back and rethink... hmmm, come to think of it, that's incompetence to some degree :D:o

I think it could be the case that they are testing the waters to see what they can get away with. They push a new policy that adversely affects foreigners, then if it backfires they pull back and rethink... hmmm, come to think of it, that's incompetence to some degree :D:o

I was commenting on the journalism. Here they may also be testing the waters to see what they can get away with but criticism of a military installed regime is generally not a good idea especially using such emotive terms as "incompetent". Such terms would not have been tolerated by the previous democratically elected administration.

So they're either brave or foolhardy.

Perhaps, your Thai wife can do this. But at least 80% of Thais are prohibited from acquiring a visa to the US. The US allows just about anyone to buy land and houses in the US, but it will not let the vast majority of the world's inhabitants entry to have access to any property they may have legally acquired.

Maybe not prohibited, per say, but they don't have the financial means, surely. Getting a visa to the US is about having the right paperwork. I have not problem with the US making sure that people are not going to visit the US on pretext, and then stay illegally. All countries have that right.

When a Thai national goes to the embassy to apply for a visa he/she must demonstrate adequate funds in a bank account that will cover the length of their stay. If this requirement is met then any of them can have a visa and go. And if they have a lot of money they can arrange to buy a nice piece of property in Malibu with no limit on acreage. They can even arrange financing from a Thai bank stateside. As far as people not being allowed in, it's because they're poor. The US has plenty of poor people that can't afford a plane ticket or to take two weeks off from work. Some Americans are turned back at Heathrow if they can't show enough funds to cover their stay.

So, what's your point? The fact that 80% of Thailand is too poor to cover their own behinds isn't the US's problem--it's Thailand's. They should work on educating their people better and motivating them to reach common goals that are important to them and their culture, instead of leaving 80% of their population high and dry. These loving, all-caring governments that pop in and out of existence in this country have all failed the impoverished. They use their pee-nong system to connive and strip them of fair profits and when they don't like it enough to say something they take a big military boot in the face or get shot. Light-skinned, wealthy Thais HATE little brown people and think they deserve to be on their knees pouring lemonade or sweeping the floor.

When a Thai national goes to the embassy to apply for a visa he/she must demonstrate adequate funds in a bank account that will cover the length of their stay. If this requirement is met then any of them can have a visa and go. And if they have a lot of money they can arrange to buy a nice piece of property in Malibu with no limit on acreage. They can even arrange financing from a Thai bank stateside. As far as people not being allowed in, it's because they're poor. The US has plenty of poor people that can't afford a plane ticket or to take two weeks off from work. Some Americans are turned back at Heathrow if they can't show enough funds to cover their stay.

So, what's your point? The fact that 80% of Thailand is too poor to cover their own behinds isn't the US's problem--it's Thailand's. They should work on educating their people better and motivating them to reach common goals that are important to them and their culture, instead of leaving 80% of their population high and dry. These loving, all-caring governments that pop in and out of existence in this country have all failed the impoverished. They use their pee-nong system to connive and strip them of fair profits and when they don't like it enough to say something they take a big military boot in the face or get shot. Light-skinned, wealthy Thais HATE little brown people and think they deserve to be on their knees pouring lemonade or sweeping the floor.

First off, last time I looked the leadership of this country was looking very, very brown-skinned, not that it matters.

Secondly, oh well, why bother?

I have never read an article in any foreign media outlet calling for Vietnam or China to set a timetable for a return to democracy. Most foreign articles now praise the economic opportunities in Vietnam and China. Is Singapore now enjoying more democracy than Thailand? Several foreign articles have been attacking the process to draft the new constitution in Thailand, but they have hardly reported on China's charter. Has anybody cared to read the Chinese or the Singaporean constitutions?

Well first off, both Vietnam and China are communist countries and therefore march to the beat of a different drum so he is comparing chalk with cheese here. Thailand is 'meant' to be a democratic state yet behaves like a communistic one since the military coup happened. As for Singapore, well no I haven't read the constitution but I would say I know my 'rights' in Singapore down to the last dotted 'i' and crossed 't' as well as knowing that there is enough stability there to know that the rules won't change ever 30 minutes. Also the last time I checked, Singapore doesn't tend to resort to military coups every time it doesn't like which way the wind is blowing.

This led the Commerce Ministry to work on the amendments of the Foreign Business Act to create this level playing field, although the amendments were not a priority policy in the first place. When the Cabinet approved the draft amendments, foreign investors and foreign businessmen were scared off. And they characterised the 30-per cent reserve requirement and the amendments to the foreign business law as being Thailand's attempt to turn inward.

FBA as a level playing field! :o Let me just get this straight. Under the new FBA rules, a foreigner invests 'his' money into Thailand and has to show a certain amount as free capital at all times in order to ensure he gets a visa to stay and work here in the company he has just set up. He also has to set up a company that has a majority share ownership biased towards the Thai side and then on top of that he now also has to hand over 50% of the preferential shares and managerial control on 'his' money, business and investment to the Thai side as well.

Can anyone explain where the balance and level playing field part kicks in on this kind of structure as I somehow quite cannot see it?

As with everything, there are always arguments that could be made for any side and Thanong is just arguing with a particular bias based on what suits him.

With regards to the arguments from those who say that it is harder to get a visa in the UK and the USA for example, well yeah granted it can be, but when they do get in the rewards and potential are a way lot higher than what we get here. In Thailand it may be easier to get in, but it is much harder to stay here long term and even when you do get to stay here, you can be sure that you will be given diddly swot for your efforts no matter how many years under the belt you have.

First off, last time I looked the leadership of this country was looking very, very brown-skinned, not that it matters.

Secondly, oh well, why bother?

Mdeland I do see your point, but I have to agree with Bottlerocket at least 95%. There IS a certain amount of access to the brown-skinned in political appointments and the military but when it comes to economics and finance, including the networks in business, it is the white-skinned Thais that hold all the cards. And SOCIALLY, brown skin puts you at the back of the bus. Sad but true in my opinion. The OP's suggestion regarding education and motivation are spot on. I have written before on TV about the Chula and Thamassat grads who are selling toasters at Central--how long can this go on before there is even more social unrest? Thais are taught not to complain but the time is coming when they will demand their share just as has happened in many other countries. Prevailing economic theories and schemes in Thailand are contradictory and it is a mess as the original article states. It will take a lot of sorting out. In the meantime we can just hope the center holds and those in power are enabled to recognize what are the real problems facing Thai society and not scapegoat farang. Most of us really do care about this country.

Why has this thread drifted so quickly off topic. It is about the appalling so called journalism which appeared a few days ago in the International Herald Tribune the effect of which can be seen on Thai visa at

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=112139&hl=

where most posters just accepted what was said, like sheep, and ignored the fact that the IHT was clearly being used towards some polictal end by a front page item that was non-news.

The IHT news item can be found at

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/03/20/news/thai.php

I am pleased that The Nation's journalist has countered that disgraceful piece. I suspect that the quotes from the Thai's in it are manufactured, or out of context. The IHT reporter should be sacked but he wont be. By contrast Thanong Khanthong's article in the Nation is both balanced and insightful. Read his explanation as to how Thailand got in the mess it is in. It is credible, logical and understandable and he does not cover up the mistakes of the present Government. Yes they have shot themselves in the foot and they are trying to "un-shoot" themselves (despite the fact that the Commerce Minister seems to want to remain shot). A difficult task by any standards for a government of non-politicians but there is still hope they will sort the mess out yet.

I am copying here my post on the original discussion thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=112139&hl=

"Am I the only person here who finds this so called journalism a bit "weird"?

To whom was this alleged statement by K. Vongthip addressed, when, where and in what context? Which country is the "your country" to which she is referring.

Where does the journalist question how K. Vongthip encounters these farangs in sufficient intimacy to be able to judge them as "weird". It seems, from a quick search on Google, that she spends most of her time at meetings of various international chambers of commerce.

The article, which appeared on the front page of todays IHT rambles on about everything including the coup, the Foreign Business Act, land purchase, Taksin, retail chains, farangs with Thai wives, tourism, John Mark Karr, the Shin Sat deal with Singapore, the 1990 financial crisis, etc. etc. and is accompanied by a photograph of katoeys dancing.

The one thing I am unable to detect in the article is "news". So what is it doing on the front page of the IHT?

Whose or what purpose is the journalist serving? The reporting from Bangkok is said to have been contributed by a Thai journalist, so to whom was K. Vongthip speaking? Could it be that she was being asked about the John Mark Karr affair? Yes, he was weird, and that could have been an off the cuff remark regarding that matter.

To my mind this stinks as a piece of so called journalism. If someone had penned this on TV they would have been immediately accused of being a troll (see TV definition). I think that is exactly what it is. A provocative hotch-potch of non-news. Did the journalist simply have no news to report or is there a more sinister motive? I say shame on the IHT."

In this thread lets forget about whether "so and so's" wife can get a visa to the USA. There are plenty other places to discuss that on TV. What are your opinions about the relative merits of the two pieces of journalism, IHT and the Nation, and what was the objective of the original piece - it was not news reporting for shure?

Would anyone trust a high official of any bank in Thailand who hadn't noticed that many foreign retirees are "weird". If they can't see this simple fact, what else that is obvious would they be unable to see. How about a call to boycott all Thai banks that think all farangs here are lovely, upstanding fellows?

FBA as a level playing field! :o Let me just get this straight. Under the new FBA rules, a foreigner invests 'his' money into Thailand and has to show a certain amount as free capital at all times in order to ensure he gets a visa to stay and work here in the company he has just set up. He also has to set up a company that has a majority share ownership biased towards the Thai side and then on top of that he now also has to hand over 50% of the preferential shares and managerial control on 'his' money, business and investment to the Thai side as well.

Can anyone explain where the balance and level playing field part kicks in on this kind of structure as I somehow quite cannot see it?

As with everything, there are always arguments that could be made for any side and Thanong is just arguing with a particular bias based on what suits him.

Read the article again. He is clearly saying that the Govenrment made a lot of mistakes. He is explaining how the FBA amendments came about as a result of the problems with Singapore and Taksin and that they were not a priority in the first place. How do you manage to read into this that the journalist is claiming that the original proposed amendments to the FBA etc. is a "level playing field". It was the Singapore Govenment that requested the "level playing field" and through incompetence the Surayud government obliged with a knee jerk reaction because they could not see beyond the barrel of their gun pointed a Taksin (I think its called colateral damage).

I was commenting on the journalism. Here they may also be testing the waters to see what they can get away with but criticism of a military installed regime is generally not a good idea especially using such emotive terms as "incompetent". Such terms would not have been tolerated by the previous democratically elected administration.

So they're either brave or foolhardy.

As you have correctly surmised, Thanong was never liked by Thaksin, nor were several from The Nation who were not afraid then, and aren't afraid now to publicly speak their minds.

I always look for Thanong's articles. He is well connected and makes credible arguments.

I refer to my post in an earlier thread re the medicines issue and view the IHT article as more of the same. One question though is who is the coordinator in this. Any suggestions anyone?

My view is that this is part of a coordinated PR campaign against Thailand after their HIV/AIDS drug decision. The 'hostages' story being in the same vein. More to come.

Regards

Regards

Link

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...amp;pid=1196375

I am writing this column because I feel sick and tired of the growing Thailand bashing. Yes, we are in a mess. Yes, we are living in the aftermath of a coup. Yes, we make lots of mistakes. Yes, we need time to resolve our problems. But we don't deserve this bashing because the country has yet to overcome the political divide, which is the root of all the uncertainty.

Thanong Khanthong

What does Mr. Thanong Khanthong expects? That the world praises Thailand for what's happening, happened and still happens ? Praise Thailand it went down the democracy spiral ?

There are lots of countries in the world in a mess, making lots of mistakes and yes Thailand belongs to one of those countries.

He's 'sick and tired' of the growing Thailand bashing and he feels 'we don't deserve this bashing'.....really?

But in one thing he's right: 'Thailand has to overcome the political divide, which is the root of all uncertainty'.

The same root(s) however is in Thai society itself: Greed, Power and Money which is deeply anchored in the socalled Hi-So Thai upperclas.

If Mr. Thanong Khantong is so sick about the Thailand Bashing I suggest he DOES something about equal SOCIAL rights for the Thai People and stop his complaints about the world, bashing about Thailand.

Because this same -outer- world is sick and tired about a once great Nation and it's leaders, coups d'Etats and their stupid laws.

LaoPo

I refer to my post in an earlier thread re the medicines issue and view the IHT article as more of the same. One question though is who is the coordinator in this. Any suggestions anyone?
My view is that this is part of a coordinated PR campaign against Thailand after their HIV/AIDS drug decision. The 'hostages' story being in the same vein. More to come.

Regards

Regards

Link

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...amp;pid=1196375

I'm not sure that the drugs issue has any relevance but it is certainly aimed at damaging Thailand's tourism and/or inward investment. Now I am not saying that the government has not left themselves open to such attacks but it definitely seems to me to be externally politically motivated.

My guess as to who is behind it? Top of the list would be Singapore, possibly Malaysia, the US "establishment" seeking to influence investment markets, other countries wishing to attract tourists, Mr T. (didn't he engage a couple of US PR firms? Perhaps he should be 1st equal with Singapore on the list). Take your pick.

I just hope that it serves as a "wake up call" for Thailand to get its act together and quick! My heart is still here despite all the setbacks.

If Mr. Thanong Khantong is so sick about the Thailand Bashing I suggest he DOES something about equal SOCIAL rights for the Thai People and stop his complaints about the world, bashing about Thailand.

Because this same -outer- world is sick and tired about a once great Nation and it's leaders, coups d'Etats and their stupid laws.

LaoPo

One of the best things I ever read on TV! (Couldn't find a "standing ovation smiley" :o )

Edited by Hobox

The article in the Nation seems to indicate that some of us farang blame the current government for a recent episode of criticisms and attacks against farang. We are not saying that it started with the junta, or even with Thaksin - just that the xenophobia seems more blatant now, on the part of the government. Thais have been encouraged to feed on this anti-foreigner sentiment for a long time, and it's becoming too obvious.

But the article had a lot of good points, and was much better journalism than the article in the International Herald Tribune.

Nevertheless, we all know that some farang are very weird, and that John Mark Karr was neither the first nor the last such weirdo.

These must be very troubling times for Thais who care about how their country looks internationally.

Thanong Khanthong

What does Mr. Thanong Khanthong expects? That the world praises Thailand for what's happening, happened and still happens ? Praise Thailand it went down the democracy spiral ?

There are lots of countries in the world in a mess, making lots of mistakes and yes Thailand belongs to one of those countries.

He's 'sick and tired' of the growing Thailand bashing and he feels 'we don't deserve this bashing'.....really?

But in one thing he's right: 'Thailand has to overcome the political divide, which is the root of all uncertainty'.

The same root(s) however is in Thai society itself: Greed, Power and Money which is deeply anchored in the socalled Hi-So Thai upperclas.

LaoPo

Good post

I couldn't have said it better.

There is not one honest person in Thai government, or so called upper class.

Corruption in my opinion fuels all the other problems faced in Thailand.

How do you know? Are you personally acquainted with ALL of them?

I'm not the one to answer for 'Alf Witt' but have you ever seen a Government-member/Politician, anywhere in the world, who's truly honest?

We just had elections for a new government in my country and it's a complete disgrace, once they 'sit' on the 'Pluche' and DO what they do......contrary to what they promised when they were on tour, fighting for their seats.

All lies; it's about power and prestige; the money comes later once they're bounced out of government and 'receive' high ranked positions in the real world. A PLUS is the Power and Prestige they already deserved with their lies.

LaoPo

The article in the Nation seems to indicate that some of us farang blame the current government for a recent episode of criticisms and attacks against farang. We are not saying that it started with the junta, or even with Thaksin - just that the xenophobia seems more blatant now, on the part of the government. Thais have been encouraged to feed on this anti-foreigner sentiment for a long time, and it's becoming too obvious.

But the article had a lot of good points, and was much better journalism than the article in the International Herald Tribune.

Nevertheless, we all know that some farang are very weird, and that John Mark Karr was neither the first nor the last such weirdo.

These must be very troubling times for Thais who care about how their country looks internationally.

PeaceBlondie, check out the expose' Anderson Cooper just did for CNN on Thailand. Ouch!

More diplomatically put:

There could be an honest person in the Thai-government, but do you know any? :o

More diplomatically put:

There could be an honest person in the Thai-government, but do you know any? :o

I don't personally know anyone in the Thai government. I know the names of about half a dozen from news items. I know a couple of persons who might be described as Thai upper class. Unlike Pumpuiman, I am not in a position to make sweeping judgments about the characters and ethics of persons I do not know and those that I do know do not match his description. I suspect that there is not a completely honest adult in the world and, if I were to look for one, I would not start with politicians of any race. Its all a matter of degree, but I would not condemn someone without persuasive evidence. Making unfounded statements which are unsupported by evidence is a form of dishonesty. So, Pompuiman, please persuade me as to why I should accept your statement as an honest observation.

If its just a generalisation about politicians then what purpose does the remark serve other than to further inflame anti-Thai or anti-farang sentiment? Is that your objective?

PeaceBlondie, check out the expose' Anderson Cooper just did for CNN on Thailand. Ouch!

I'd have to describe Anderson Cooper as the Anna Nicole Smith of the news reader scene. Journalism has always been a rather low occupation, but he's kept digging where Geraldo stopped. What honey? Oh dear, Geraldo hasn't stopped!

i reckon its mostly just politics for local consumption.

george orwell's 1984 is becoming more and more applied worldwide.

manufacture a fictitious enemy to keep the people distracted from the real problems.

Howard in Aus did it to get re-elected - he convinced australians to be terrified of asians in leaky boats arriving on our shores.

problem is many people (in any country) who feel disadvantaged will follow a suggestion and believe the lie.

if you look objectively, there is no way that any amount of foreigners , foreign investment etc could do any real harm to thailand.

especially compared to the harm they do to themselves.

i have come to think that foreigners mis-percieve thailand because of how it looks,

and thus expect it to be just like home but cheaper with a funny culture.

in reality i think thailand is just cambodia with better roads and supermarkets.