Why did you choose to retire to Thailand?

zhounan

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

European countries are certainly more similar than Thailand. 

1. Bread versus rice 

2. European languages are more similar to each other than Thai language

3. Christianity versus Buddhism

4. European weather is not as hot as Thailand

Yes, you can find bread in Thailand but it's considered western food and not native Thai food. 

Ah! I read it wrong. I thought he was saying those places were culturally similar to Thailand. 555

5 hours ago, timendres said:

Ah! I read it wrong. I thought he was saying those places were culturally similar to Thailand. 555

Bread may not be native Thai. Not sure when it was introduced to the country, but I have been buying it here since 1971. 

I have not retired there yet, and doubt I fully will.  But after my first few trips starting in 2004 it was high on my wish and desire list.  Now, due to current silly paperwork, and I still have interests in the USA, I am thinking it will just be 6 months of each year, but that may change.  Anyway reasons I was thinking of doing it and will certainly spend lots of time there are:

I don't mind the weather as long as I have a nice pool.

I do love the food choices in a place like Pattaya where one can stroll around and eat German Food, Italian, Thai, Sushi, Full English Breakfast now and then, Donner carts, etc.

Foot and oil massages really are great

So many girls are really pretty to my eyes.

I like walking around versus driving every where as one usually has to do in the USA.  Always something to see.  walking regularly and throughout the day is good exercise.

Morally casual attitude towards certain things is an attraction, although possibly less so as I get older

Flora and Limestone stacks are beautiful

I enjoy a 1/2 day AC coach VIP bus ride around to various places, from BKK to Sukhothai for example

I do appreciate many of the tenets of buddhism and enjoy visiting and spending time at some Wat Thais

Love a game of pool with the buds and some drinks on a night out. 

Enjoy a little bar hopping now and then, say around a soi 7 in pattaya or a few streets in Bangkok, or wherever.

Love the scenery in Krabi, Ao Nong, Phuket beaches such as karon where you can turn around and look up in the hill and see the top of the big white buddha

Oh and many friendly girls.

In general it is just a fun and while getting more expensive than it was back in 2004, it is still affordable to me.

• Like 2

There’s something else I like about Thailand (Isaan for me). It is that the money you spend for your woman (if you have one) radiates to the family. So you kind help a few people whereas if you retire in the West, your money doesn’t go that far. As for the exchange rates, well, what goes up will go down one day, such is the law of gravity, even in the financial work. And .. I really fell in love with Isaan, don’t know anywhere else in Thailand. 

• Like 2