RANT : Pattaya to BKK by train

mercman24

14 hours ago, johng said:
15 hours ago, sandyf said:
The trains run about every 20 minutes, the line is only a couple of hundred yards from my house. Been dual track now for about 5 years.
The problem is there is only the one passenger train a day the rest are freight. It leaves BKK around 06.30 and i think terminates near Sattahip, then returns to BKK. It is free to the Thais and very cheap for the foreigner, think I was 23 baht Chonburi to BKK.
It is relatively quick from Pattaya to Chonburi, about an hour, same as driving. It is further down the line it becomes slow, stopping at every small station on the way.

I'm even closer less than 100 meters but a bit further south towards Sattahip..the dual track stops in Pattaya ,further south it's still single track...everyday there is 2x passenger service ,4 man inspection train,very long oil tanker train and at least 1 long shipping container train.

I live in Chonburi and have only been on it to Pattaya and BKK so wasn't quite sure how far the dual track went, just that they did the stretch near us 5 to six years ago.

I have been on it quite a few times and as far as I am aware there is only the one passenger service each way during the week, not sure about the new weekend service. The freight is quite varied with tankers, open bogies and wagons, but some of it may not go beyond Pattaya.

The service from BKK is not too bad if you are not bothered about time but going to BKK in the winter months can be quite unpleasant. There is no air con so the windows are open and as it is dark by the time the train arrives the carriage is full of every species of flying insect in Thailand. The main reason we have used it was to catch the evening train from BKK going north. Caught it a couple of times in the morning when the train from the north has been on time, but the slightest delay and you have missed it.