Thailand tourism: 40 million will visit "for sure" next year and Chinese for free, minister

webfact

6 hours ago, madmen said:

master card for one but its ignored because the basher's can't face reality

I not understand why this people so angry thailand success. 

I not understand why hate Chinese, Indian, russian, Muslim 

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/10-most-visited-countries-in-the-world.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/most-visited-countries/

https://www.wildjunket.com/most-visited-countries/

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Yinn said:

Not get 40 million number this year. He admit. 

He admit. 

Lies? 

The tourist number go up and up. Is lie to say it not up. 

This year up again a little bit. Not 40 million but up. Some year go down a little bit. But look long term is up,up,up. 

You have other graph? Or just what you imagine? How you know?

30B386D6-0FF8-4B50-9A63-F5ACC2953A15.png

I agree.  The target of 40 million may not be hit but that doesn't mean the tourist arrivals are dow'n compared to the year before.  They are up--just not as 'up' as was hoped for.  There was clearly a dip in 2014 when, indeed, arrivals were down from the year before but after that year it has been an upward trend.

One can dispute that some arrivals just turn around and get on another flight but I think that has always been the way the counting has been done.  If the counting system hasn't changed then arrivals are up every year since 2014--but perhaps not meeting targeted goals.

6 hours ago, madmen said:

master card for one but its ignored because the basher's can't face reality

Mastercard takes their data from TAT. Check their disclaimer. They don't disclose their own card users transactions, that'd be quite a breach of privacy anyway.

18 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I not understand why this people so angry thailand success. 

I not understand why hate Chinese, Indian, russian, Muslim 

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/10-most-visited-countries-in-the-world.html

You're right, of course. Your links clearly show that Thailand is #9 in the rankings, even before the UK, meaning 2 million people more travel to Thailand's beaches than to Blackpool, Brighton, Whitby, or Scarborough South Bay...

39 minutes ago, lynchey said:

If you do the math on 40,000,000 that's 109,589 per day. Lets say half arrive by jet that's 54,795. Average jet load at 300 equals 183 jets per day, or 8 jets an hour. I think someone's telling porkies.

To be fair, most tourists stay more than just 1 day, so that would be more like one jet/hour arriving 24/7. (If the average holiday duration of Thailand visitors is still 7 or 8 days.)

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Given that market forces including the very strong Baht are discouraging people from coming, not to mention the accident and injury rate, I wonder what he will say if and when the number isn't hit. Most likely he will just do the normal thing and tell barefaced lies. Can't have tourism numbers going down now can we?

Yes just can not say FOR SURE

9 hours ago, donnacha said:

No, that is not what that chart says.

The Chinese spend the most baht per person per day, but Westerners tend to stay far longer, so, their total spend per vacation is higher.

Also, a substantial portion of what the Chinese spend goes straight back to China, as group tours tend to stick to Chinese-owned hotels, restaurants, fake temples, and shopping destinations.

It also does not include the significant amounts of money that Westerners, as more independent travelers, spend on things that are not captured by surveys of this type. That includes relationships, bars, and, yes, the sex industry. All that can add up to significantly more than all the types of spending that are captured.

These details are important if you want to understand why so many Thai businesses are reporting that their tourist customers have all but disappeared, while the government keeps proclaiming the highest tourism numbers of all time.

governments lie empty hotels do not

9 hours ago, Yinn said:

China come to Thailand the most.

Chinese spend the most baht per person.

Welcome to Thailand!

9005E8F9-B288-45D3-AAFA-3C0C74DEBA08.png

More <deleted> statistics.  Notice, for example, China is a single country, compared to the Americas, which includes South America and North America- 15 total countries. USA is lumped in with Mexico. Don't you undertand that the 3rd world countries would drag down the USA contribution? So it is a meaningless measurement.  

1 hour ago, lynchey said:

If you do the math on 40,000,000 that's 109,589 per day. Lets say half arrive by jet that's 54,795. Average jet load at 300 equals 183 jets per day, or 8 jets an hour. I think someone's telling porkies.

In all sincerity 8 jets an hour isn't much.

6 hours ago, Peterbilt said:

Well, I don't know what BM Madmitch does spend a day, its also not my business anyway.

But I can tell you what PM Peterbilt spends, just to give you a clue .......

For this year I had (!) planned 4 trips to the Land of Scams. Two trips with a duration of 3 weeks and two more which should have been (!) 32 days long.
A standard 3 week trip has planned expenses of 200,000 BHT this does not include airfare, the 4 week trip is calculated at 300,000 BHT (also w/o airfare). Total planned expenses in TH for 2019 WERE 1.2 million Baht.... Thats me alone. One fat, old "farang". Okay, at least not a poor one.

Thats about 9,500 BHT per day. And most of this money goes DIRECTLY to the owners of small businesses and not to large tour companies like the money from the chinese.

Thanks to the ongoing anti-"farang" campaign by the immigration and the fact that theres no more value for the money spent, two already booked flights had been cancelled and the lenght of the remaining 2 trips was cut down to 3 weeks.
So due to immigration, xenophobia, racism, those ever present scams and the overinflated Baht, TH will only get 400,000 BHT from me instead of 1.2 million. Yes, I know that this wont hurt anyone in the Land of Scams, but its worth noticing, isnt it?

Instead of travelling to the LoS I visited destinations in Europe. Better value for the money, cleaner beaches, cleaner air, better food and drink and also a much shorter flight.

So TAT ambassador BM Yinn, please do not bother us here with more TAT lies and manufactured figures. And please forget about Wikipedia, it isnt a reliable resource any more.
Anyway, may the Land of Scams drown in herds of locust chinese and their money.
But their rulers should keep in mind that those chinese are not dumb. So one fine day those chinese will start demanding...........

Why the hell do you keep coming back.  To the so called land of scams

13 minutes ago, teatime101 said:

I don't understand why so many of you guys put up with Thailand. I've never seen a more miserable bunch of people. Go back home if you hate it so much.

I've seen a more miserable bunch and that's "back home". The winter is coming so they should be extra grumpy right now.

While I've been in Thailand, the rest of the world seems to have gone down the drains even quicker, it's a race to the bottom. We're doomed.

8 hours ago, Peterbilt said:

Well, I don't know what BM Madmitch does spend a day, its also not my business anyway.

But I can tell you what PM Peterbilt spends, just to give you a clue .......

For this year I had (!) planned 4 trips to the Land of Scams. Two trips with a duration of 3 weeks and two more which should have been (!) 32 days long.
A standard 3 week trip has planned expenses of 200,000 BHT this does not include airfare, the 4 week trip is calculated at 300,000 BHT (also w/o airfare). Total planned expenses in TH for 2019 WERE 1.2 million Baht.... Thats me alone. One fat, old "farang". Okay, at least not a poor one.

Thats about 9,500 BHT per day. And most of this money goes DIRECTLY to the owners of small businesses and not to large tour companies like the money from the chinese.

Thanks to the ongoing anti-"farang" campaign by the immigration and the fact that theres no more value for the money spent, two already booked flights had been cancelled and the lenght of the remaining 2 trips was cut down to 3 weeks.
So due to immigration, xenophobia, racism, those ever present scams and the overinflated Baht, TH will only get 400,000 BHT from me instead of 1.2 million. Yes, I know that this wont hurt anyone in the Land of Scams, but its worth noticing, isnt it?

Instead of travelling to the LoS I visited destinations in Europe. Better value for the money, cleaner beaches, cleaner air, better food and drink and also a much shorter flight.

So TAT ambassador BM Yinn, please do not bother us here with more TAT lies and manufactured figures. And please forget about Wikipedia, it isnt a reliable resource any more.
Anyway, may the Land of Scams drown in herds of locust chinese and their money.
But their rulers should keep in mind that those chinese are not dumb. So one fine day those chinese will start demanding...........

Quite apart from not really agreeing with much of what you state I am more curious about  why  "travelling"  and  "chinese" are  nominated as incorrect!

Oh ! Spell  chinese as Chinese and all is forgiven ! Let's try american versus  American .  Eegads !

Nationalism has gone mad ! English and english ? wow

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Small, same German.

I not know. But index have bad qulity. 

For what?

If have thai mia.

Many. 

Nobody say that.

EVERYBODY WELCOME.

Why so many caucasion think if Chinese welcome, then caucasion not welcome? We not hate Chinese (or Indian or Arab). But some you guys hate them. 

Your country have Chinese tourism? Or not?

20 million Chinese, less than 1 million english. You want us to stop them for you?????

They are welcome. You are welcome.

everybody welcome to thailand. Chinese must do TM30 etc.

Up to you. 

Ok. 

Good luck

My passport red.

I don't follow your posts, so have no idea if you have any particular agenda.

But with this post, I largely agree.

I too don't like the attacks on other nationals who choose or are chosen to visit Thailand.

I remember when places like Cosy Beach and parts of Jomtien were completely dead, which was great to be able to enjoy the not so developed areas, but not so great for the business owners.

Then the Russians came along and breathed life into those areas. The main complaint was that the Russians were cold, unfriendly, rude etc. 

But that can happen when there is a clash of cultures and language.

I also remember friendly Russians engaging me in conversation on baht buses.

With each new influx, new clashes. I say live and let live. I don't see fellow holidaymakers as rivals.

I travelled to learn about different cultures and, like many, spent a lot of time in Thailand because of some of it's positive aspects.

Unfortunately, money appears to be overriding everything that was good about Thailand. Mass tourism, above all else, is not something to which to aspire.

Unfriendly faces as soon as you arrive at the airport from Immigration, relatively poor infrastructure once you arrive. I often wince when I see families trying to walk with their children in prams and buggies, having to walk out into roads. It certainly is no good splashing out on a five star hotel but then breaking your toe on piece of metal sticking out of the ground or out into a totally flooded district. Relatively high prices for goods and products, poor safety regulation and now hundreds of coaches blocking road and belching out pollution. But it's ok because they buy seafood.

Some of these things could be overlooked when you are not paying through the nose for everything and the people warm and friendly.

But the negatives are steadily building. The influx of less gregarious tourists were just another straw threatening to break the camel's back.

Less friendly vendors, jaded by the sheer numbers and impolite behaviour of the new influx.

Again, none of these things necessarily affect me. What affects me, is the unpleasant and stressful experience even before I arrive land side. 

Even if everything is in order, you can be subject to unpleasant and even corrupt behaviour. 

I certainly do not want to waste my money on flight tickets and preparations, only for some idiot to make problems for me on a whim. If I am made to feel unwelcome somewhere, I will simply chose to not go there.

Then there is the frankly, terrible process for applying for a Tourist Visa. In the recent past, one could simply visit the embassy with your documents and then visit again to collect your passport the next day.

Now they have something call an e-Visa, that is clearly everything but an e-Visa. It is just another national embarrassment.

You have to open an account online to upload your documents. Then you have to print your confirmation and make an appointment to visit the embassy. Then you have to print that appointment paper. Then you have to visit the embassy with those documents(Hello....did I not already upload them?) and your passport. Then if you are successful, they will let you know and then you can visit the next day to pick up your passport with the visa inside.

Where is the e-Visa part??

It is so ridiculous, I cannot even bring myself to go through such a laborious and unnecessary process in order to enjoy a holiday.

It's like they just want to discourage you from applying at all.

If you think that mass tourism is better for you, than friendly and respectful visitors, then you will get what you wish.

Tourists that don't give a hoot about your country.

You'll see westerners cleaning up the beaches and complaining about neglect, because they care about Thailand and their environment.

Unfortunately, your 'leaders' are getting rid of the very people who actually care about Thailand, as opposed to people who only care about themselves.

I know it is not simply black and white, but I don't want to create a ten thousand word essay here.

It's just becoming a bit of a horrible prospect.

20 hours ago, Yinn said:

30B386D6-0FF8-4B50-9A63-F5ACC2953A15.png

Let's assume the figures given here are true, but keep in mind what they are: Tourist arrivals. What they don't say is how long all these incoming tourists stay. Those who have been in Thailand all these years will agree with me that the accommodation capacity of the country hasn't increased fourfold; so we have a clear indication that the average duration of tourist stay must have significantly gone down during the period. We can also match these observations with the graph giving the daily "in country" expenditure by country of origin and get a better picture of the behavior of the new quality beach defecating quality tourists. But this doesn't come as a surprise as we know that the Asians travel for face. Get your selfies quick rush to some famous shop, buy a couple of brand handbags, and go back home to defecate in a ditch.

Archived