How much cash can I carry into the EU and Great Britain

We are spending 1.5 weeks flying into Europe (3 countries) and then flying into the Great Britain United kingdom. Can we carry 10,000 euro each and 10k GBP each or is it only 10k of one of the currencies. I wonder if I should load the pounds sterling onto my ktb travel card?

thanks

Undeclared you can only carry 9999 € or same in GBP (keep watching the exchange rate risk ..!)

And each has to carry it on themselves , not one example carry it for the other.... no excuses , and watch your coins or small pocket money too , it counts with if a nasty customs agent is checking you .

Sniffer dogs exist at Schiphol 

10000 is the STARTING number for declaring  so the safe  amount is 9999 it is like a nasty trap the 10 000 number

• Like 1

OP You can carry what you want however as the poster above mentions it needs to be declared and it is important that you should be able to show the provenance of the funds over 9,999.

Even under that figure you may still need to prove where it came from.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, david555 said:

Undeclared you can only carry 9999 € or same in GBP (keep watching the exchange rate risk ..!)

And each has to carry it on themselves , not one example carry it for the other.... no excuses , and watch your coins or small pocket money too , it counts with if a nasty customs agent is checking you .

10000 is the STARTING number for declaring  so the safe  amount is 9999 it is like a nasty trap the 10 000 number

if we have a 5 yr old I assume its thus illegal to have her carry the 9999 as well?

Here a link for the official rulings in case … for English use the Ireland link , by downloading direct  you can fill in interactive the forms and print out , but also on the back side you have all explanation's about when how and even transit case obligations concerning liquid assets by passing borders of E.U. …..I just don't know when travelling as this Brexit deadline is looming if go thru …, could change some things ….

The PDF attachment is a already downloaded  example , on backside all information about transporting money over borders on page2 (= backside )

About your question about child(eren)  I don't know … but my logic would tell me that if minors would not count until a certain age ….

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/individuals/cash-controls/how-declare_en

Declaring cash English vers..pdf

Edited by david555

1 hour ago, ubonr1971 said:

if we have a 5 yr old I assume its thus illegal to have her carry the 9999 as well?

your question answered in a new post (I forgot to quote your post ) ….I did not had my coffee yet  5555

13 hours ago, topt said:

OP You can carry what you want however as the poster above mentions it needs to be declared and it is important that you should be able to show the provenance of the funds over 9,999.

Even under that figure you may still need to prove where it came from.

Why would you need to prove where less than 10k came from if the law is you only have to declare 10k up? It's either the law or it's not surely.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Why would you need to prove where less than 10k came from if the law is you only have to declare 10k up? It's either the law or it's not surely.

In the UK, certainly when leaving from an airport, it has been reported fairly widely that if you are stopped by police you may have to prove where the source of your funds come from - whatever the amount. This may simply be showing a copy of a bank statement or similar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, topt said:

In the UK, certainly when leaving from an airport, it has been reported fairly widely that if you are stopped by police you may have to prove where the source of your funds come from - whatever the amount. This may simply be showing a copy of a bank statement or similar. 

Doesn't answer the question though, what is the point of having a law if they can just make it up as they go along

2 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Doesn't answer the question though, what is the point of having a law if they can just make it up as they go along

Old article here -

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1554683/Travellers-with-over-6700-must-tell-taxman.html

"Interestingly, the notice on HMRC's website also says they have the right to seize any sum exceeding £1,000 if they suspect it is the proceeds of crime.

"I was certainly not aware of that - it could catch you if you were coming out of the bank to do a deal with a builder."

A spokesman for HMRC said the £1,000 limit was introduced under the Proceeds of Crime Act five years ago.

"People who have nothing to hide have nothing to fear," he said. "We are going to have a light touch about the new requirement.

"We are not after people buying homes overseas, we are after money launderers."

So it is the law........

3 minutes ago, topt said:

Blimey. A grand is a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things. One thing I like about here is Thailand is a cash economy, even see little old ladies in the banks with a few million baht being counted.

11 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Blimey. A grand is a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things. One thing I like about here is Thailand is a cash economy, even see little old ladies in the banks with a few million baht being counted.

Agreed.

43 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

You could be right …. after you contacted your lawyer and went to court …. but does that help you on the spot while your airplane is go to boarding...? 

call it the power of uniformed me & woman the whole world around … fair ..? NO …. but reality 

Live with it or get grumpy the whole time .

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

You could be right …. after you contacted your lawyer and went to court …. but does that help you on the spot while your airplane is go to boarding...? 

call it the power of uniformed me & woman the whole world around … fair ..? NO …. but reality 

Live with it or get grumpy the whole time .

Yep true enough, the law can be above the law, they also assume most folk won't know the law. It's like when you here people say 'i know my rights' well actually mate you probably don't. Any criminal worth the name would know what the laws of the land are.

21 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Wonder how all the black money gets transported overseas from here,

and in most cases it will be well over 10K,a lot more.

regards worgeordie

Rhetorical or........

Bank to bank by SWIFT

Maybe laundered first then simply sent by SWIFT

Hawala or similar

Several news reports about large sums of cash recovered/found in cars trying to go across the borders here so presume a lot more get through

Remember in Thailand you can theoretically take out money as long as declared.........

30 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Yep true enough, the law can be above the law, they also assume most folk won't know the law. It's like when you here people say 'i know my rights' well actually mate you probably don't. Any criminal worth the name would know what the laws of the land are.

We are here posting what the actual practice rules are ….. and I had same at Schiphol where a costoms who checked me 3 weeks before on arrival my suitcase with no result as empty almost (3 weeksvisit Europe while living Thailand) saw my blanc documents for money declaring in case needed , questions why , explained and ok .

So 3 weeks later on my way to gate  I saw him coming from the Gate   ….when sitting there 30 min. later , short before boarding he stand a sudden front me with a kind of lady sniffer dog (Spaniel type , no at guard dog ..) the normal standard questions.... showed my narrow under the limit and my ATM slips and bank letter stamped …. questions why I not transfer ….not his business why ..! BUT just before boarding don't wish to loose flight (as they can trouble you for a nothing ..) so I explained him

1) first it is my right

2) I show you is my own not criminal money 

3) if I fly  I can as wel take the bank fee for myself instead the banks , and can have anyway a nice evening out of it in Thailand 

4) now I can change at the moment I choose , when transferring it....., is today 

5)Whenever I need to fly Europe again I don't need  to exchange once more  again ,is my travel pocket money , as more than 8000 km from home I like to have some cash under my pillow and count on myself instead of plastic who can be blocked as a lightning ...!

That was my answer giving him polite but strong answer to have him a mouthful to chew...

But anyway he insisted on to have the Bank letter...which I gave him under protest....(so now I take them double to have at least 1 for myself to keep with my stash of €'s...) 

Edited by david555

50 minutes ago, topt said:

Rhetorical or........

Bank to bank by SWIFT

Maybe laundered first then simply sent by SWIFT

Hawala or similar

Several news reports about large sums of cash recovered/found in cars trying to go across the borders here so presume a lot more get through

Remember in Thailand you can theoretically take out money as long as declared.........

Up to the value of 15000 usd in any currency undeclared out of Thailand …. but strange enough by bank transfer problematic unless documents (work permit , or FET form ...TIT once more )

The official excuse for all country's control measures is for terrorism financing …. but that goes or by diplomatic courier by some country's or this Hawala Muslim system (no paper no tracing ..)

Edited by david555

19 hours ago, david555 said:

The only thing not to like about Schiphol is the "border guards". People avoid it for that reason!

48 minutes ago, david555 said:

Up to the value of 15000 usd in any currency undeclared out of Thailand …. but strange enough by bank transfer problematic unless documents (work permit , or FET form ...TIT once more )

The official excuse for all country's control measures is for terrorism financing …. but that goes or by diplomatic courier by some country's or this Hawala Muslim system (no paper no tracing ..)

I transferred around $15,000 this month, just showed my bank book showing money into Thailand.

Waiting to see what happens on Oct 31 re: Brexit, transfer a lot more out if the £ takes a big dive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

The only thing not to like about Schiphol is the "border guards". People avoid it for that reason!

I experienced it ….on 8 flights I had 7 suitcase controls...in the past , only last year 2018, I did not see 1 custom , also different arrival hall and I stood outside on a different exit too ….. or I took wrong way …? 5555 I wish I would remember if so , lol polite but annoying , not for nothing Dutch calls it Customs training center...

But as airport I find excellent special the automatic baggage deposit system 

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

I experienced it ….on 8 flights I had 7 suitcase controls...in the past , only last year 2018, I did not see 1 custom , also different arrival hall and I stood outside on a different exit too ….. or I took wrong way …? 5555 I wish I would remember if so , lol polite but annoying , not for nothing Dutch calls it Customs training center...

But as airport I find excellent special the automatic baggage deposit system 

Yes, one of the best airports otherwise. Two old friends from Ireland used to fly through there on the way Ireland - BKK VV. Were both avoiding it last time I heard, solely to do with over-zealous customs etc, this being their entry point into the EU.

For me, KLM were one of the better European airlines.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Yes, one of the best airports otherwise. Two old friends from Ireland used to fly through there on the way Ireland - BKK VV. Were both avoiding it last time I heard, solely to do with over-zealous customs etc, this being their entry point into the EU.

For me, KLM were one of the better European airlines.

KLM … I don't take an airline for the airhostesses , and if the KLM ones look sometimes as army sergeants I don't mind I need a good direct flight .., an above all KLM gives me the opportunity to take a second baggage at 80 € for 23 kilo when I fly back Thailand … that is a lot of chocolate and other things to take with from Europe….

And I am lucky to not be a 2m+ type so I fit ( but narrow ) in their seats …..and it is just for 10.30 hours … so ...

1 hour ago, david555 said:

We are here posting what the actual practice rules are ….. and I had same at Schiphol where a costoms who checked me 3 weeks before on arrival my suitcase with no result as empty almost (3 weeksvisit Europe while living Thailand) saw my blanc documents for money declaring in case needed , questions why , explained and ok .

So 3 weeks later on my way to gate  I saw him coming from the Gate   ….when sitting there 30 min. later , short before boarding he stand a sudden front me with a kind of lady sniffer dog (Spaniel type , no at guard dog ..) the normal standard questions.... showed my narrow under the limit and my ATM slips and bank letter stamped …. questions why I not transfer ….not his business why ..! BUT just before boarding don't wish to loose flight (as they can trouble you for a nothing ..) so I explained him

1) first it is my right

2) I show you is my own not criminal money 

3) if I fly  I can as wel take the bank fee for myself instead the banks , and can have anyway a nice evening out of it in Thailand 

4) now I can change at the moment I choose , when transferring it....., is today 

5)Whenever I need to fly Europe again I don't need  to exchange once more  again ,is my travel pocket money , as more than 8000 km from home I like to have some cash under my pillow and count on myself instead of plastic who can be blocked as a lightning ...!

That was my answer giving him polite but strong answer to have him a mouthful to chew...

But anyway he insisted on to have the Bank letter...which I gave him under protest....(so now I take them double to have at least 1 for myself to keep with my stash of €'s...) 

Any chance of that in English?

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Wonder how all the black money gets transported overseas from here,

and in most cases it will be well over 10K,a lot more.

regards worgeordie

There are a huge number of questions to be answered if you are an individual when transferring money into the UK or buying a property in the UK. Meanwhile, the "black money" simply comes in as corporate cash.

For instance, a company based in one of those tax havens in the Carribean with nominees as shareholders can buy a property for millions in the West End of London and not much if anything is asked or required. Meanwhile if you as an individual want to purchase a small flat for a few hundred thousand, your solicitor will have to lead you through hoops to prove that the money is not black money and you have to establish exactly where you got it.

Go figure, as our American friends say. I have nothing against having to prove origins of funds but it should be the same for everyone.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, david555 said:

KLM … I don't take an airline for the airhostesses , and if the KLM ones look sometimes as army sergeants I don't mind I need a good direct flight .., an above all KLM gives me the opportunity to take a second baggage at 80 € for 23 kilo when I fly back Thailand … that is a lot of chocolate and other things to take with from Europe….

And I am lucky to not be a 2m+ type so I fit ( but narrow ) in their seats …..and it is just for 10.30 hours … so ...

KLM … I don't take an airline for the airhostesses..."

Me neither. If the service is good I don't really care too much about who's providing it, or what they look like.