A solution to the problem of Thailand's haze? Smaller incense sticks, says minister

rooster59

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thailand's deputy public health minister has suggested a way to alleviate the devastating haze blanketing the south of Thailand. 

Use shorter or smaller joss-sticks. 

And this guy is a public health minister and a doctor.  I wonder where his qualifications came from!!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Yinn said:

The air pollution problem finish already two days ago.

the south has no problem now. 

The air is clean and lovely.

2943BF77-E1B9-4747-95CE-48A54AD4B320.png

39 weeks pregnant Thai following AFL, reading Aussie news while ranting about perfection of Thailand

If Thailand is so perfect with clean air why do you live in Australia?

Is the Thai air not good enough for your kid?

Or Thai education system?

19 minutes ago, HHTel said:

And this guy is a public health minister and a doctor.  I wonder where his qualifications came from!!

I've said it once and I'll say it again:-

"Thailand has the politicians it deserves from a Junta rigged election!"

Wouldn't have an ounce of grey matter between em!

1 hour ago, cranki said:

Hey Yinn, if that's a screenshot from your computer, which AFL team do you follow......

Saint KFC!  My English (Aussie) teacher before team. 

Today the final game. Tigers win.  KFC not play.

25 minutes ago, HeyHeyHey said:

39 weeks pregnant Thai following AFL, reading Aussie news while ranting about perfection of Thailand

If Thailand is so perfect with clean air why do you live in Australia?

Is the Thai air not good enough for your kid?

Or Thai education system?

I not pregnant. My friend pregnant. Go hospital this morning.

i not in Australia, the link can watch footy game.  Final today, but boring. 

Air is good in south.

education system good also.

46 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

If all the Thais living in southern Thailand open their windows and put their fans there so they can blow back the haze to Sumatera problem solved. 

No haze toady. clean air and rain.

it's really amazing.  this month there are many serious and new insights (in 'peer reviewed journals') on food security issues.  soil's reduced absorption of water, because of Climate Change.... drought to affect wheat production... and none of these get any play time with the little people.  nor did Rosenfeld et. al. in January which was drop dead, the worst possible way we could go on Climate in general since 2015/2016.  Xu and a Mahidol ajarn on the Chao Phraya River rainfall supply a few months ago and Freund et. al. in May 2019 on the Central Pacific ENSO being much pervasive in recent decades.  all of these mean it is time to get ready. 

water and heat management running them off our own batteries, and knowing they will perform okay in high temps, are critical.  the first item.

a starting point.  not in 2100 something, which is still a common way many folks still try to "cushion" socially anything they post in mass media or in general type newspapers.  "Climate" as a multi-faceted phenomenon and serious end game for all plants and animals is in full swing.  it is not the same old story anymore in 2019.  it wasn't in 2015 either but it is now up a full notch in the when? now category.  if science folks are talking about it, it's right around the corner.        

you can talk about "plant food" or "ice melting in 2100" or the same old nonsense about how "farmers" are making fires..... and that it ain't correlated to higher ambient temperatures or that, for instance, July 2019 was the hottest month ever recorded.... and 2019 was barely above a neutral ENSO.  you are a total fool if you do.     

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Use shorter or smaller joss-sticks.

Also, poorly ventilated areas should not be used to light incense as this can cause health problems like respiratory illness.

Generally good advises, but got however nothing to do with the haze problem – should for southern provinces rather be an angrement with Indonesia about using "smaller" wood fires, and "ventilate" the smoke in a direction away from Thailand...???? – however, if the deputy public health minister is serious with joss-sticks as solution to haze, I'm afraid I have to be seriously impolite and ????

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

Yes the English translation to the OP is ridiculous.

what the guy really say is about

“According to the EPA, exposure to the particulate matter present in incense smoke has been linked to asthma, lung inflammation and even cancer. In fact, long-term exposure to incense smoke was found to be related to an increased risk for upper respiratory cancers as well as squamous cell lung cancer.”

Phuket have the vegetarian festival next week. Is chinese festival, they use a lot of this one. So he just say good not to breathe it.

it will not reduce the air pollution from the fire in Indonesia. That’s would be ridiculous to think like that.

Yinn's right.

The translation from Thai to English is nonsense.

This is like telling people to use a medical/surgical mask as most Thais do - due to low cost, no doubt.

BTW, I consider the 'Moderate' AQ to still be polluted and not healthy to breathe. I keep my bedroom at AQ 6 or below and wear a mask anytime/every time I'm outside that 'clean' room. Needless to say, I'm not burning much incense in my bedroom. ????

This is obviously not a translation error. Whoever translated this article has an agenda. Thaivisa webmaster should really be careful as distributing distorted information online is considered an offense under section 14 of the computer crime act. If this is reported to the authority, you lot could be in trouble.

I not pregnant. My friend pregnant. Go hospital this morning.
i not in Australia, the link can watch footy game.  Final today, but boring. 
Air is good in south.
education system good also.

You are brave to show your browser history Yinn, not many of the posters on TVF would allow that to happen [emoji51]

3 hours ago, nkg said:

Yinn's right.

The translation from Thai to English is nonsense.

If ever a thread highlighted the fact the majority of posters on Thai Visa can't be bothered to read previous posts on a topic - well this is it

Transpires much unwarranted criticism, and some of the attempted 'saves' border on farcical, almost as poor, it appears, as the original translation in the OP!!

22 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Choking PM 2.5 particles could be lessened if people of Chinese descent would use smaller or shorter incense during rituals, prayers and blessings at homes and shrines to mark the Vegetarian Festival.

And their you have it..... proof positive of insanity in charge of office!

Posts removed, and others responding and quoting them.

From the forum rules: 

The ThaiVisa News Team gathers and disseminates news bulletins from Thai and International sources, and republishes them in the News Forums for our members' information and enjoyment. Our News Team works hard to bring quality content to the News Forums, and should be respected for their efforts.
Comments such as "slow news day" or "clickbait headline" are neither respectful nor welcome on the forum, and will be considered as troll comments and removed and the offending poster warned and/or suspended accordingly.
Except as otherwise indicated in the byline, news bulletins are reprinted verbatim from a mass media source which has given TV permission to use its feed. 
Original articles, especially in the Thai press, often have grammatical mistakes or misspellings. ThaiVisa is not responsible for these nor does ThaiVisa have the rights to alter content it is reprinting from another source. Similarly, ThaiVisa is not responsible for any opinions reflected  or quoted in reprinted news stories.

If you have a problem with anything published as a news article contact "support" . Please do not make derogatory remarks on the forum.

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

China is a mess and is the major contributor of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere. Along with Europe, the US and India.

Japan, Russia, Germany and others are ahead of other European countries in CO2 according to THIS SITE. Maybe Europe taken as a whole (minus Germany), but I don't have the numbers for each country to add-up.

Archived