A solution to the problem of Thailand's haze? Smaller incense sticks, says minister

rooster59

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use shorter or smaller joss-sticks.

Priceless. Do these ministers really know anything about something?

Oops, what? They're soldiers? Okay, I understand. 

All buses and Diesel engine vehicles, including the TuK- Tuks that leave black and blue smoke from the exhaust have to be taken out while most power plants don't even have filters, but this guy talks about incense sticks?

Or does he actually mean insane- sticks? 

I think so too. There is no pollution.

If I speak to Thai people, e.g. last smoky season, some went from Chiang Mai to their home in Phayao and told me there is good air quality, while AQI showed +400 also over there. Just one example, I experienced many similar stuff, it is only us stupid farangs who think about it.

Just look at all the car drivers in Northern Thailand in smoky season. No one wearing a mask- only motorcyclists. I wonder what makes the air inside the car so clean with normal air conditioning inside only and opening/closing the doors often.

4 hours ago, Sunderland said:

Today it is smoggy in Bangkok ... again. I think it will  be worse this year in the upcoming dry season.

Bangkok today.png

12 in Phuket. Where the Vegetarian festival is on now.

I think 3-5 in Ranong now. Nearly pure!!!!!

04B8B0A0-D17D-427E-8BDC-60EB544C5529.jpeg

3 hours ago, cerox said:

I think so too. There is no pollution.

If I speak to Thai people, e.g. last smoky season, some went from Chiang Mai to their home in Phayao and told me there is good air quality, while AQI showed +400 also over there. Just one example, I experienced many similar stuff, it is only us stupid farangs who think about it.

Just look at all the car drivers in Northern Thailand in smoky season. No one wearing a mask- only motorcyclists. I wonder what makes the air inside the car so clean with normal air conditioning inside only and opening/closing the doors often.

I thought for sure they would try to blame foreigners for passing gas 555

On 9/27/2019 at 3:40 PM, Yinn said:

Yes the English translation to the OP is ridiculous.

what the guy really say is about

“According to the EPA, exposure to the particulate matter present in incense smoke has been linked to asthma, lung inflammation and even cancer. In fact, long-term exposure to incense smoke was found to be related to an increased risk for upper respiratory cancers as well as squamous cell lung cancer.”

Phuket have the vegetarian festival next week. Is chinese festival, they use a lot of this one. So he just say good not to breathe it.

it will not reduce the air pollution from the fire in Indonesia. That’s would be ridiculous to think like that.

So, he was talking about the dangers  incense sticks used in closed rooms at a festival, rather than pollution in general 

On 9/28/2019 at 9:40 AM, Yinn said:

“According to the EPA, exposure to the particulate matter present in incense smoke has been linked to asthma, lung inflammation and even cancer. In fact, long-term exposure to incense smoke was found to be related to an increased risk for upper respiratory cancers as well as squamous cell lung cancer.”

Yes, incense sticks are rather toxic when burned in big quantities.

Yet i wonder why, in a country that makes large use of incense, i use them too, they don't produce better and safer sticks.

16 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yes, incense sticks are rather toxic when burned in big quantities.

Yet i wonder why, in a country that makes large use of incense, i use them too, they don't produce better and safer sticks.

Well since you're making merit by burning them, I guess the idea is you need to croak as soon as possible to capitalize on that effort.

4 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Well since you're making merit by burning them, I guess the idea is you need to croak as soon as possible to capitalize on that effort.

Lol, well, honestly, the idea of making merit burning sticks is not in my intentions.

I offer flowers, water and some incense once a week on my little holy corner to thank the whole universe for what i have, and because thinking about the absolute clears my mind from the BS.

If i think about making merit, perhaps helping other living beings in distress, even only just being positive during hard times, are better ways.

8 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

It would appear that most people will believe that whatever is printed is fact.

Maybe the earth is still flat??

It would appear that by now, most foreigners (and I'd argue, many Thais) would believe whatever nonsense statement attributed to an official/politician. IMO, a well earned reputation - enough so that that it would seem routine for such instances to pop up. Unless, of course, someone wishes to claim all of these cases are translation issues, and in fact, Thai officials/politicians utter nothing by pearls of wisdom.

For reference, consider how actions and statements attributed to Trump are received (apologies for bringing him into this topic, Max). Same same.

The short Siam Rath article in Thai, run through Google Translate, produces the text quoted below. It specifically talks about the current Vegetarian Festival in Phuket City and its effect on the level of tiny, toxin dust particles. It makes no mention of anywhere except southern Thailand, in particular Indonesia is not mentioned. The translation by Rooster starts this discussion; you can compare it yourself to the tone and impact of Google's.

The values in the pictures posted were around a yellow, Moderate 55; it is currently 50, still showing Moderate on the Air Quality Index web site late late Sunday after a brief, very intense rainstorm cleared the air around my place.

If you have ever physically watched a street procession from a temple down to Saphan Hin, you might be vastly more concerned about the fireworks by-products than the incense: it is not uncommon to be unable to see the center of the street at all from the curb: the air is totally opaque. And don't wear good clothes; there are lots of burning cinders. But that only lasts a few minutes, and then you can flee back to the great food vendor areas.

Suggestion for eating vegetarian food, lighting short incense Reducing toxic dust "PM 2.5"

Concerned about many areas, the dust value is still high Please help reduce dust. Please cooperate with using small incense or short incense.

Dr. Panphimol Wipulakorn, Director-General of the Department of Health, revealed that many people in the southern region are still experiencing small dust particles, PM2.5, especially during this vegetarian festival. Thai people of Chinese descent will burn incense or pay homage to a shrine. Including paying respect to monks who have to burn a lot of incense Deputy Minister of Public Health (Dr. Satit Patu-Techa) passed on his concern by requesting cooperation for using small or shorter incense. To reduce dust The religious place, when the ceremony is finished, should put out or collect incense faster. And must be sure that it is completely closed Clean the incense burner regularly to reduce dust from the residual incense smoke. Avoid burning incense in an inconvenient ventilated place. Because if inhaled, it may irritate the eyes and affect the respiratory system. Common symptoms are dry eyes, burning eyes, tearing, sneezing, coughing, throat irritation, difficulty breathing, headache, fainting, unconsciousness if inhaled for a long time.

In this regard, people in the lower southern region must also closely monitor the situation of PM2.5 dust from the Facebook page "Health loving people pay attention to PM2.5 air" for at risk groups such as small children, pregnant women, the elderly People with chronic illnesses such as asthma, allergies, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease Heart and blood vessels Should avoid exposure to smoke and seek cooperation from hospitals Child Center Clean rooms should be arranged to prevent and reduce exposure to dust. PM2.5 for staff at work and people at risk or for doctors who advise

For people who need to go to areas with high dust values Should wear a mask Gag and nose To reduce health effects And keep an eye on the symptoms If there are abnormal symptoms such as frequent coughing, difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, shortness of breath, wheezing, congestion, palpitations, nausea and fatigue. Or dizziness, hurry to see a doctor

11 hours ago, sanemax said:

So, he was talking about the dangers  incense sticks used in closed rooms at a festival, rather than pollution in general 

That seems to be exactly what the Thai text is saying. I can't find the picture I wanted: near the end of the festival, people in their white festival outfits cross a bridge inside the temple as a symbolic purification, which is the point of the festival. Everybody is packed inside the room, and you can hardly breathe. It doesn't seem unreasonable for a doctor to advise minimizing one's exposure to all the smoke.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:07 AM, rooster59 said:

Thailand's deputy public health minister has suggested a way to alleviate the devastating haze blanketing the south of Thailand. 

Use shorter or smaller joss-sticks. 

Sounds like someone's a couple of joss-sticks short of a bundle. 

7 hours ago, dave s said:

Or dizziness, hurry to see a doctor

While you are hurrying, don't run, and leave your scissors at home. 

Great advice.  

I sit here breathing clean air with 2 air filters running 24/7 and Filtrete on all my air conditioner filters. 

I wish the morons would stop claiming it's the car or truck emissions.  It isn't.  If it was, then this muck would be year round.

Here is the original article. Whoever wrote the article here that started this did a poor job summarizing what was said below.

Concerned about many areas, the dust value is still high Please help reduce dust. Please cooperate with using small incense or short incense.

Dr. Panphimol Wipulakorn, Director-General of the Department of Health, revealed that many people in the southern region are still experiencing small dust particles, PM2.5, especially during this vegetarian festival. Thai people of Chinese descent will burn incense or pay homage to a shrine. Including paying respect to monks who have to burn a lot of incense Deputy Minister of Public Health (Dr. Satit Patu-Techa) passed on his concern by requesting cooperation for using small or shorter incense. To reduce additional dust The religious place, when the ceremony is finished, should put out or collect incense faster. And must ensure that it is completely extinguished Clean the incense burner regularly to reduce dust from the residual incense smoke. Avoid burning incense in an inconvenient ventilated place. Because if inhaled, it may irritate the eyes and affect the respiratory system. Common symptoms are dry eyes, burning eyes, tearing, sneezing, coughing, throat irritation, difficulty breathing, headache, fainting, unconsciousness if inhaled for a long time.

In this regard, people in the lower southern region must also closely monitor the situation of PM2.5 dust from the Facebook page "Health loving people pay attention to PM2.5 air" for at risk groups such as small children, pregnant women, the elderly People with chronic illnesses such as asthma, allergies, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease Heart and blood vessels Should avoid exposure to smoke and seek cooperation from hospitals Child Center Clean rooms should be arranged to prevent and reduce exposure to dust. PM2.5 for staff at work and people at risk or for doctors who advise

For people who need to go to areas with high dust values Should wear a mask Gag and nose To reduce health effects And keep an eye on the symptoms If there are abnormal symptoms such as frequent coughing, shortness of breath, shortness of breath, shortness of breath, wheezing, chest tightness, palpitations, nausea, abnormal fatigue Or dizziness, hurry to see a doctor

1 minute ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Here is the original article. Whoever wrote the article here that started this did a poor job summarizing what was said below.

Concerned about many areas, the dust value is still high Please help reduce dust. Please cooperate with using small incense or short incense.

Dr. Panphimol Wipulakorn, Director-General of the Department of Health, revealed that many people in the southern region are still experiencing small dust particles, PM2.5, especially during this vegetarian festival. Thai people of Chinese descent will burn incense or pay homage to a shrine. Including paying respect to monks who have to burn a lot of incense Deputy Minister of Public Health (Dr. Satit Patu-Techa) passed on his concern by requesting cooperation for using small or shorter incense. To reduce additional dust The religious place, when the ceremony is finished, should put out or collect incense faster. And must ensure that it is completely extinguished Clean the incense burner regularly to reduce dust from the residual incense smoke. Avoid burning incense in an inconvenient ventilated place. Because if inhaled, it may irritate the eyes and affect the respiratory system. Common symptoms are dry eyes, burning eyes, tearing, sneezing, coughing, throat irritation, difficulty breathing, headache, fainting, unconsciousness if inhaled for a long time.

In this regard, people in the lower southern region must also closely monitor the situation of PM2.5 dust from the Facebook page "Health loving people pay attention to PM2.5 air" for at risk groups such as small children, pregnant women, the elderly People with chronic illnesses such as asthma, allergies, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease Heart and blood vessels Should avoid exposure to smoke and seek cooperation from hospitals Child Center Clean rooms should be arranged to prevent and reduce exposure to dust. PM2.5 for staff at work and people at risk or for doctors who advise

For people who need to go to areas with high dust values Should wear a mask Gag and nose To reduce health effects And keep an eye on the symptoms If there are abnormal symptoms such as frequent coughing, shortness of breath, shortness of breath, shortness of breath, wheezing, chest tightness, palpitations, nausea, abnormal fatigue Or dizziness, hurry to see a doctor

In the UK (outskirts of London)  I was on a lung puffer for a couple of decades, moved to LOS and within a few months I threw it away...After many years here it is still history...

Archived