Cheaper biodiesel to go on sale from next month

webfact

Bio diesel, LNG , LPG, Hybrid engines, Electric vehicles, blah blah blah.

It's all too late.

Global warming, storms more severe than before, droughts lasting longer than before, forest fires getting worse, flooding getting worse in some areas with islands slowly

( quickly ) going under the waves.

My view, it's a combination of green house gases and climate change, been going on for thousands of years ( climate change that is ). Over population is the problem.

Ok, I'll admit on the fossil fuel bit I did my bit in the 60's/70's/80's/90's, If it was under 3 litres I wasn't interested, had to be cubic inches or nothing.

A bit more bio-diesel on the market is going to do nothing.

The world is going to need, soon, a pandemic that will clear out most of the population and leave a population that can survive in the areas that aren't devasted by climate change.

PS. Don't have any kids, all those V8's and V12's had priority.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Bio diesel, LNG , LPG, Hybrid engines, Electric vehicles, blah blah blah.

It's all too late.

Global warming, storms more severe than before, droughts lasting longer than before, forest fires getting worse, flooding getting worse in some areas with islands slowly

( quickly ) going under the waves.

My view, it's a combination of green house gases and climate change, been going on for thousands of years ( climate change that is ). Over population is the problem.

Yup, whatever we do, population will just grow and it'll all go south anyway. We're doomed.

I propose a year long drunken toga party to celebrate the end of the world.

11 hours ago, HOAX said:

I just saw B20 Diesel ads at some PTT stations yesterday for the first time. Was wondering what it was...

Palm oil lol. No idea what's worse for the environment, Diesel or Palm oil, but what I do know is that the environmental activists definitely do not like palm oil, that's for sure.

Apparently, the number after the B is the percentage of biodiesel in the doesel. If you see what I mean.

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, that is like saying it is not the sea that claims lives, it is careless sailors, or bad storms. The reality is that most diesel vehicles are not properly maintained here. A gas vehicle that is not properly maintained is infinitely cleaner. And natural gas of LPG should be mandatory for ALL trucks. It would make a huge difference. 

Well I don't agree with that, Mike.

Diesels running on CNG (I never heard of trucks / diesels running on LPG) still need a bit of diesel fuel to operate.
When the CNG / air mixture is just compressed, I won't ignite (if it would do so, you would have an uncontrolled ignition, most likely leading to catastrophic engine failure).
Thats why a "pilot injection" is used. The CNG / air is compressed and just in the right moment a small amount of diesel fuel is injected leading to ignition.
You will loose about 20% of the engines normal power when running on CNG, but you are also loosing almost all of the black smoke and soot. Yes, CNG diesels are running much cleaner, but they don't run on CNG alone.

If all the vehicles with smaller diesel engines - mostly pickup trucks - would switch to gasoline powered engines there will be another problem.
Modern direct injected gasoline engines produce plenty of PM 2.5 fine dusk particles. So switching from diesel to gasoline will just change the problem: Away from nitrous oxides and soot to fine dust particels. Both not healthy......

6 hours ago, transam said:

There are folk out there that go round take-aways and burger joints collecting their old cooking oil. With filtering and a bit of tinkering a diesel will run fine on it...

Thats true. Especially older diesels will run without problems (okay, they are running a bit hotter....) with cooking oil. But I would not recommend this for a state of the art turbocharged commonrail engine.......
Normally aspirated engines with a conventional injection pump should be okay.

Studies show fuel consumption of B10 is about 5.4% higher than that of regular diesel. At the current price of 26 baht per liter, this means the price of B10 has to be at least 1.34 baht cheaper in order to break even.

I'm in Rangsit and I've never seen B7 or B10 available at any PTT station. I would be interested in knowing the actual price and how much of a price advantage they are offering.

Has anyone ever seen a PTT station offering the fuel? What is the current price? It doesn't show on the PTT daily fuel price page.

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Everything you say above is probably true. But the part all that totally fails to address is the ADDED POLLUTION that the agriculture industry produces in order to grow, harvest and produce the bio products, in that case, palm oil.

You can't just count the reduced tailpipe emissions without also considering the added agricultural emissions IF a country starts growing/producing more palm oil to meet fuel demands.

read my first post.

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And natural gas of LPG should be mandatory for ALL trucks. It would make a huge difference. 

"natural gas" and "LPG" is a mismatch.

NGV is made from natural gas (natural gas for vehicles).

LPG is liquid petrol gas, just another fraction at the oil refinery.

And due to the enormous savings many big trucks are already equipped with it as well as some minivan's and cars. Some cars come as NGV enabled models (even from Merc).

It's surprising to me that you can retrifit a diesel motor to run on NGV.

17 hours ago, DrTuner said:

But according to TVF those gas cars explode when you look at them the wrong way. Must be the truth because it's on the internetz.

LPG (8 bar) retrofit cars go up in flames "sometimes".

Seems mainly due to poor quality at the workshops.

Also they are often mounted at the cargo bay with little protection from rear-end collisions.

NGV tanks (250 bar or so) are rarely reported exploding or going up in flames.

A the big trucks they are mounted at the back of the cabin in a metal frame.

47 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

"natural gas" and "LPG" is a mismatch.

NGV is made from natural gas (natural gas for vehicles).

LPG is liquid petrol gas, just another fraction at the oil refinery.

And due to the enormous savings many big trucks are already equipped with it as well as some minivan's and cars. Some cars come as NGV enabled models (even from Merc).

It's surprising to me that you can retrifit a diesel motor to run on NGV.

I was not intending to suggest converting a diesel to NGV. I was suggesting that trucks be switched. Diesel trucks phased out, and NGV or LPG trucks phased in. Mandatory. If they are serious about cleaning up the air, someone has to pay for it. These trucking companies can afford it. Same with cars and pickups. Phase them all out. Diesel is old and outdated technology. At least the type of diesel engines here.

On 9/30/2019 at 4:41 AM, leeneeds said:

Better lubrication, reduced sulphur, reduces carbon emissions, less soot the gains here get negated by the burning of land to plant palm trees, I am powerless to stop the practice, but will use the end product.

One of the Cons with using biodiesel is its potential to clog fuel filters. If you have a vehicle that uses a fuel filter, you should be cognitive to the fact that filters clog more frequently when a vehicle is using biodiesel. 

Just Google the problems with biodiesel. 

I delivered biodiesel for a fuel transport company for 3 years and heard the stories of the problems with biodiesel. I think I will just stick with regular diesel fuel. No telling where I might be when my fuel filter decides to clog up.

On 9/30/2019 at 7:03 PM, jvs said:

We are talking about Thailand,i do not think euro 5 and 6 engines are available here.

afaik euro six requires ad blue.

In Thailand, Euro 5 cars i (with dpf) include E300 BLUETEC HYBRID, CLS250CDI, BMW 320d (F30), 520d (F10), 730Ld, HONDA CR-V Diesel 1.6, Mazda CX-5, CX-3. , 2 (1.5)

Euro 6 with DPF and SCR (AdBlue), include C300 BLUETEC HYBRID, S300 BLHY, GLC250d , GLE250d, ML250, C220d

That info is a year old, so there could be longer list now. 

46 minutes ago, Longcut said:

One of the Cons with using biodiesel is its potential to clog fuel filters. If you have a vehicle that uses a fuel filter, you should be cognitive to the fact that filters clog more frequently when a vehicle is using biodiesel. 

Just Google the problems with biodiesel. 

I delivered biodiesel for a fuel transport company for 3 years and heard the stories of the problems with biodiesel. I think I will just stick with regular diesel fuel. No telling where I might be when my fuel filter decides to clog up.

All rides have filters and I cannot see a low bio % causing any problems....

The stuff ain't treacle....

1 hour ago, transam said:

All rides have filters and I cannot see a low bio % causing any problems....

The stuff ain't treacle....

From the research at Intertech.

Biodiesel, bacterial growth and filter blockage:

Biodiesel has an affinity for water and easily absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. This water then supports microbiological growth in fuel storage tanks. At low levels microbes usually don’t make a major impact on fuel functionality, but if left unchecked, bacteria growth can block fuel filters.

Archived