Trump-Putin phone calls in U.S. Democrats' sights - Schiff

webfact

Trump-Putin phone calls in U.S. Democrats' sights - Schiff

By Doina Chiacu and David Morgan

2019-09-29T155354Z_2_LYNXMPEF8S0H0_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-WHISTLEBLOWER.JPG

FILE PHOTO - U.S. House Intelligence Committee Chair Adam Schiff (R-CA) talks to reporters after testimony from Acting Director of National Intelligence (DNI) Joseph Maguire about the handling of the whistleblower complaint on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., September 26, 2019. REUTERS/Leah Millis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Congress is determined to get access to Donald Trump's calls with Russian President Vladimir Putin and other world leaders, the chairman of the U.S. House Intelligence Committee said on Sunday, citing concerns the Republican president may have jeopardized national security.

"I think the paramount need here is to protect the national security of the United States and see whether in the conversations with other world leaders and in particular with Putin that the president was also undermining our security in a way that he thought would personally benefit his campaign," Democrat Adam Schiff said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Congress is investigating a whistleblower complaint that said Trump solicited a political favour from Ukraine's president that could help him get re-elected to a second term next year. Democrats say Trump's actions jeopardized national security and the integrity of U.S. elections.

The whistleblower's complaint cited a telephone call in which Trump asked President Volodymyr Zelenskiy to launch an investigation of former Vice President Joe Biden, a leader among Democrats seeking to challenge Trump in 2020, and his son Hunter. Hunter Biden sat on the board of a Ukrainian gas company.

The July 25 phone call came shortly after the United States froze nearly $400 million in aid to Ukraine, prompting concern that Trump was using the taxpayer money already approved by Congress as leverage for his personal political gain.

The complaint said White House lawyers directed that an electronic summary of the call be moved from the place where such things are usually kept to a secret server reserved for covert matters.

"If those conversations with Putin or with other world leaders are sequestered in that same electronic file that is meant for covert action, not meant for this, if there's an effort to hide those and cover those up, yes we're determined to find out," Schiff said on NBC.

Schiff did not say whether he plans to subpoena that information. The White House did not respond to a request for comment on Schiff's statement that he wanted access to the call summaries."

The Ukraine scandal cast a shadow over Trump's presidency just months after the conclusion of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation of whether the Trump campaign worked with Russia to help him win the 2016 presidential election.

That investigation concluded that Moscow waged a social media and propaganda campaign aimed at putting Trump in the White House. The Mueller report, released in April, laid out numerous contacts between Russian officials and Trump’s campaign, but found no evidence of a criminal conspiracy.

The Ukraine matter prompted Democratic House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi to launch an impeachment inquiry against Trump on Tuesday.

"DEEP STATE OPERATIVE"

Polls show an increase in support for Trump's impeachment last week, and Democrats say they think voters are turning their way. Republican leaders maintain the inquiry will backfire.

Trump says there was nothing wrong with his phone call with the Ukrainian leader and denounced the whistleblower as a "political hack."

White House adviser Stephen Miller took up the attack on Sunday, accusing the whistleblower of being part of a "deep state" government conspiracy to foment opposition to Trump.

"I know the difference between a whistleblower and a 'deep state' operative. This is a 'deep state' operative pure and simple," he told "Fox News Sunday."

Trump's Republican supporters in Congress defended the president's actions on Sunday TV news shows. "I have zero problems with this phone call,” Senator Lindsey Graham said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

The whistleblower's complaint was deemed credible by the inspector general of the U.S. intelligence community and the acting director of national intelligence told lawmakers the person "acted in good faith" and "did the right thing."

The intelligence committee has reached an agreement with the whistleblower to appear before the panel, Schiff told ABC's "This Week." Schiff said he hoped it would be very soon.

Lawmakers were working out logistics to protect the person's identity and get security clearance for lawyers who represent the whistleblower. A person close to the whistleblower said on Sunday many issues remained to be worked out.

House committees on Friday issued a subpoena to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for documents concerning contact with the Ukrainian government. They also scheduled depositions for five State Department officials.

Schiff said Trump's personal lawyer, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, appeared to lay the foundation for Trump’s call to Zelenskiy through his efforts to encourage Ukrainian authorities to investigate the Biden family.

Schiff told ABC his committee would decide whether to have Giuliani testify after the investigation fleshes out details of his involvement.

Giuliani said on Sunday he would testify with Trump's approval.

(Reporting by Doina Chiacu and David Morgan; Additional reporting by Mark Hosenball; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-30

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

White House adviser Stephen Miller took up the attack on Sunday, accusing the whistleblower of being part of a "deep state" government conspiracy to foment opposition to Trump.

"I know the difference between a whistleblower and a 'deep state' operative. This is a 'deep state' operative pure and simple," he told "Fox News Sunday."

My opinion is, It appears you and Chuck Shummer have issues with Intel operatives working for our government! 

Edited by riclag
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Lawmakers were working out logistics to protect the person's identity and get security clearance for lawyers who represent the whistleblower. A person close to the whistleblower said on Sunday many issues remained to be worked out

They must expose this person in the senate! Get some questions answered, like who helped you with your second hand info. Very serious allegation! What level of hatred  and political bias does this person have?

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

Actually, I think there is some truth to the theory that the intelligence community is out to get Trump.  Since I loathe Trump myself, I welcome their help, but it is ominous.  Where did the leak suddenly come from that Trump told Lavrov and Kislyak that he didn't mind Russia's interference in the 2016 election?  Mueller never knew that.  Also, since the whistleblower is CIA why would we suppose that he was acting entirely on his own initiative?

It's well to remember that none of the presidents who fired a director of CIA had second terms, i.e. Kennedy, Nixon, and Ford.  While Carter did not fire a DCI, he did appoint an outsider, Stansfield Turner, to the position who then cleaned house by firing a large number of CIA personnel.  Carter didn't get a second term either.

Edited by cmarshall

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Not should they.

They have a duty to hold the executive in check.

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear.

Just be ready for it in return when the left eventually wins a presidential election. Seems this is now the standard. One party attacking the other using the very institution that was made for the citizens. 

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

It's well to remember that none of the presidents who fired a director of CIA had second terms, i.e. Kennedy

Why name Kennedy in that list?  I have some vague recollection that he was killed during his first term and was therefore unable to run for a second term.  I don't think the firing of a CIA director has any bearing unless you are saying the CIA killed him.

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

Actually, I think there is some truth to the theory that the intelligence community is out to get Trump.  Since I loathe Trump myself, I welcome their help, but it is ominous.  Where did the leak suddenly come from that Trump told Lavrov and Kislyak that he didn't mind Russia's interference in the 2016 election?  Mueller never knew that.  Also, since the whistleblower is CIA why would we suppose that he was acting entirely on his own initiative?

It's well to remember that none of the presidents who fired a director of CIA had second terms, i.e. Kennedy, Nixon, and Ford.  While Carter did not fire a DCI, he did appoint an outsider, Stansfield Turner, to the position who then cleaned house by firing a large number of CIA personnel.  Carter didn't get a second term either.

Given it was Moscow Mitch who talked Trump into releasing the extremely incriminating phone call transcripts it is a much more credible argument that it is the GOP that want rid of Trump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riclag said:

My opinion is, It appears you and Chuck Shummer have issues with Intel operatives working for our government! 

My opinion is that you "forgot" the President's issues with the intelligence community.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

A curious post.

Nixon was elected in 1968, then re-elected in 1972.  Mentioning Kennedy like that is a sick joke.  Carter was betrayed by a CIA loyal to former director HW Bush.  Ask Ollie North how that worked.

A lot of the stuff being focused on now was reported back when it happened, but the Dems seemed to have better things to do at the time and the press was too caught up with "hey!  did you see his latest tweets?"

If you want to ask a question try "why wasn't his leak to the Russians in that private Oval Office meeting acted upon back then?"  They knew he had done it within hours of the meeting.

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DoctorG said:

If leader-to-leader conversations are made public, nobody will talk with any POTUS, current and future.

The Intelligence Committee will review the conversations. They would only be made public if they contain criminal content and it is in the public interest to know. Most likely they would use it to get Trump's resignation and keep the conversations secret. Somebody must look at this information. He could have sold suitcase nukes. He is the only president to toss his interpreter out of the room and rely on Putin's man, just so theree would be no American witness to the conversation when they met in Iceland.

Edited by Mac98
clarification
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Republican leaders maintain the inquiry will backfire.

Then, logically.... the republicans should support the inquiry. Oh... wait... logic... ????

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"I have zero problems with this phone call,” Senator Lindsey Graham said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

When the trump is impeached, his lackies that say “stuff” like this should also go down, as it is proof that they don’t serve in the people’s interests

surely their is a decent republican who can run in the 2020.

• Like 2