23 Days At Burma Border!

This happened to my friend.

He had the following in his passport:

• 30 day
  • 30 day + 7 day extension
  • Tourist Visa 60 + 30 extension

When he made a trip to Burma they gave him 23 days telling him that he already had 67 days without visa. I were under the impression that the rules were 90 days of non-visa stamps under a 180 day period. I have suspected that something like this would come up as they don't really count the 90 days of visa to the 180 day period.

Just so you all guys know! :o

Edited by Hobox

Logically he should be eligable for another 30 day visa free entry at the end of the 23 days

What makes you so sure?

Let’s assume your friend did his last border run yesterday. 23 days brings him to 13 April. On that date, the Immigration officer will have to look at the 6-month period from 14 OCT 2006 to 13 APR 2007. Now take your friends passport and add up the number of visa-exempt days he will have during that 6-month period.

--

Maestro

30+30+7+23 = 90 on my computer. Sounds like he got exactly what he was supposed to get.

You fail to see my point. Of course it's 90 days, but according to what "some" people say it could be like this as well:

180 day period

150 left

113 left

90 TR Visa

23 left

0 left.

A new 180 day period begins

So if they were to give him 30 on the last stamp he would have used up 7 days on his "new" 180 period. But I suspected it didn't work that way and just posted this for others to learn from. :o

30+30+7+23 = 90 on my computer. Sounds like he got exactly what he was supposed to get.

You fail to see my point. Of course it's 90 days, but according to what "some" people say it could be like this as well:

180 day period

150 left

113 left

90 TR Visa

23 left

0 left.

A new 180 day period begins

So if they were to give him 30 on the last stamp he would have used up 7 days on his "new" 180 period. But I suspected it didn't work that way and just posted this for others to learn from. :o

IF the period is not rolled over yes he should be able to make a new border crossing after his last 23 days and get a fresh 30 days (the first of his new 90 days) on his second 180 days block

He will have to try to see if this is how it works....

Edited by Krub

IF the period is not rolled over yes he should be able to make a new border crossing after his last 23 days and get a fresh 30 days (the first of his new 90 days) on his second 180 days block

I'll try to report what happened to him the coming visa trip.

Read a lot of posts here from the "experts" and strangely they only have one thing in common (not about you Krub :D ), lots of opinions and no facts or self-experienced incidents.

As I have been told by the immigration staff YOU ARE ALLOWED ONLY 90 DAYS WITHIN A 180 PERIOD on the normal stamp. They start the counting from the day you landed, not as some have suggested "from 1st of October". The reason of my OP was to warn other people not to listen to closely to some advice given here as they are misleading.

For you who actually care, this is how it works ( I think I figured it out):

1. Start with your first "no-visa entry"
  2. Count forward 180 days, not 6 months!
  3. The final entry stamp WITHIN the 180 days will NOT exceed 90 days.

Not clear maybe, but if you take a paper and pen and start counting it will make sense :o

I'll try to report what happened to him the coming visa trip.

Read a lot of posts here from the "experts" and strangely they only have one thing in common (not about you Krub :D ), lots of opinions and no facts or self-experienced incidents.

As I have been told by the immigration staff YOU ARE ALLOWED ONLY 90 DAYS WITHIN A 180 PERIOD on the normal stamp. They start the counting from the day you landed, not as some have suggested "from 1st of October". The reason of my OP was to warn other people not to listen to closely to some advice given here as they are misleading.

For you who actually care, this is how it works ( I think I figured it out):

1. Start with your first "no-visa entry"
  2. Count forward 180 days, not 6 months!
  3. The final entry stamp WITHIN the 180 days will NOT exceed 90 days.

Not clear maybe, but if you take a paper and pen and start counting it will make sense :o

It makes sense but the 'problem' starts at the end of the 180 days 8counted from your first stamp on no visa 30 days stamp.

Do you get a clear 'fresh' 180 days right after ? It seems yes but they will oblige you to make an extra run if your fresh 180 days fall in the middle of a run as your friend has experienced.

As for many things with these 'rules' it leaves a lot of power to the individual officer at the border who has the power of the stamp and the days !

It will need a few years of this rule for it to be more or less applied evenly all around. In the meantime, better be prepared with a few extra days just in case.

I would not want to be stuck on the wrong side of the border.....

I am sticking to my 1year extension for the time being although I would much prefer to use 2 entries TV and a few 30 days runs to cover the 8 months a year I want to spend in Thailand

Read a lot of posts here from the "experts" and strangely they only have one thing in common (not about you Krub :o ), lots of opinions and no facts or self-experienced incidents.

You forgot to mention sarcasm and pretentiousness! Some of the married, over-50's seem to be on a pretty high horse just because they are able to get long term visas while others cannot.

My 180 day period started on October 6

Last week(March 22) as I was coming into Suwanapoon, I had already used 85 days of my visa exempt, leaving me with 5 more days. I was asked how long I was staying and I replied to the the passport control officer I will be staying 6 or 7 days. He stamped me in for another 30 days.

It doesn't always work the way you think.

:o

I think where you are coming in from, the way you look and other factors have alot to do with how the immigration ppl deal with you.

I was given more than my 90 days of visa exempt. I only asked for 6 days which would have put me at 91 days of visa exempt, but I was granted an extra 25 days.

BTW: I am single, 38 years old and this was my 6 th visa exempt entry stamp.

:D

Reason for Edit: Typo

Edited by pampal