Car Insurance in Thailand

glegolo

I really would like to have your input when it comes to "how it works" here in Thailand for Car insurance. Background is!  We have a private car Honda City 6 year old, but in very good condition, so no problem there... My wife was out driving last week and was hit by a car when sitting waiting for a green light. This happenened by the way here just outisde Chaiyaphum, if that even matters...

She took care of it just like she supposed too, and called police and then our insurance-company. Yes we do have the highest alternative no 1 all included. This insurance company (Bangkok insurance) did a great job and all good "we take care of everything" was their words of the day. The car is now under repair. It was a quite nice crash  and the front of our car was smashed in, and have to be replaced. The motor seems to be completely OK and the rest of the car as well..

Now the thing I wanted to ask you guys and your experience in these matters here in Thailand. Normally back home when a insurance-company "takes care" of damage, they love to recover it on the next and coming bills in some sort, and that is that we customers usually pays back via the insurance-premie by they raising the cost for next period......

I have tried to mention this to my wifey, but she being a thai from Isaan it is not so easy for me (falang) to be understood, as we are considered to be quite stupid as you all probably know by now. She understood in the end, and then came her say "we just let them pay this damage, and then next time we change insurance-company and cost will be normal for us, same as last year"......

Is that really true? She told me that this among the thais are a common thing, they have accidents and then they just move on to another insurance-company in order to avoid price/rate-increases!!!

Anybode have experience in this matter??

Thanks

glegolo

I changed my insurance provider recently.

At no stage did they enquire about any previous claims.

I was rear shunted when with my prior supplier.

The insurance company of the other driver paid 100%.It appears that your wife is correct.

That still leaves the issue of loss of no claims bonus.

My knowledge is limited on that feature of the system

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Delight said:

I changed my insurance provider recently.

At no stage did they enquire about any previous claims.

I was rear shunted when with my prior supplier.

The insurance company of the other driver paid 100%.It appears that your wife is correct.

That still leaves the issue of loss of no claims bonus.

My knowledge is limited on that feature of the system

Thank you so much for your input. I like it if it is that way my wife describes it. But there is a difference between your and mine situation. Your insurance-company didn´t pay anything, while mine had to cover and pay the whole thing.

I hope not, but maybe that could trigger a background-check from the future choice of insurtance-company.... who knows.. Hope not....

glegolo

I have been with Bangkok Insurance for the last 16 years, have had 3 claims in that time due to other parties causing the damage. They do adjust the no claim discount after a claim, but that is to be expected and is the same as my home country, but apart from that the premiums don't go up. They have sorted out the damage quickly and efficiently every time, wether or not their legal department has made claim against the other parties I don't know and don't care, I get what I pay for, and that is my car repaired.

• Like 1

If this accident is not of your fault as you have stated than the insurance company of the car that hit you should be fixing your damage to your car not involving you own insurance company, your good records and standing  with your insurer would stay intact and thus no change to your premiums on your next renewal...

41 minutes ago, ezzra said:

If this accident is not of your fault as you have stated than the insurance company of the car that hit you should be fixing your damage to your car not involving you own insurance company, your good records and standing  with your insurer would stay intact and thus no change to your premiums on your next renewal...

Sorry I was not clear enough. Wifey sat at a red light and just got hit, not her fault at all. The "other" car had NO insurance whatsoever (what´s new under the sun), so we MUST let our insurance cover our car-repairs..

glegolo

4 hours ago, glegolo said:

Sorry I was not clear enough. Wifey sat at a red light and just got hit, not her fault at all. The "other" car had NO insurance whatsoever (what´s new under the sun), so we MUST let our insurance cover our car-repairs..

glegolo

I have always been under the impression if the other car had no insurance then it could not have been registered as you need insurance to register, our car has to have insurance before we can register it each year

We got hit stopped at a red light, rear door and bumper damaged. The other party had no insurance. To cut a long story short, agent took us all to police station. Driver was fined 400bt, no insurance. Police case opened, statements made. Police Captain told us my insurance would take care, other driver would have to pay my insurance, if not then would have his day in court. Will have my insurance quote next month, so we'll see.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, roo860 said:

We got hit stopped at a red light, rear door and bumper damaged. The other party had no insurance. To cut a long story short, agent took us all to police station. Driver was fined 400bt, no insurance. Police case opened, statements made. Police Captain told us my insurance would take care, other driver would have to pay my insurance, if not then would have his day in court. Will have my insurance quote next month, so we'll see.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

VERY interesting thank you for informing. Can I kindly ask you to write here outcome of this thing with insurance-quote next month. Really like to know what will happen...

glegolo

1 hour ago, seajae said:

I have always been under the impression if the other car had no insurance then it could not have been registered as you need insurance to register, our car has to have insurance before we can register it each year

Lack of insurance doesn't stop registration. Lack of insurance may prevent payment of annual road tax.

You aren't paying annual car registration, you are paying the cars annual road tax.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If the OP has 1st class insurance then it is his insurance company that is going after the uninsured other car/driver for restitution and the OP (and his wife) have nothing to worry about. Since the OP's wife was not at fault, there would be no reason to expect an increased renewal quote. However, since everything is adjusted for inflation these days, the OP should do a close comparison when the renewal quote comes in and I recommend getting at least a couple of quotes from other companies at the time. Keeps everyone on their toes in my experience. I switched from Liberty to AXA because Liberty forgot (again) to send me a renewal notice and when I chased THEM down, it went up instead of down despite almost 3 years of no claims.

As mentioned earlier, whether any No Claims Bonus scheme is impacted or even applied is one of the vagaries of the Thai car insurance business since most of the locals tend to think of insurance as away of getting the bumps and scrapes fixed once a year 'for free' before flipping carriers. If they never had any NCB, they'd never know any better.

There is a box on the insurance schedule marked NCB. Until quite recently (and especially with my first carrier Liberty), I never saw any numbers or a %-age quoted here but on my last 1st class renewal with AXA, it was listed at 5,333.00 baht with a total premium payable of 15,384.46 baht. When I changed earlier this year to Roojai, they specifically asked for any NCB data and a scan of the existing AXA insurance schedule. The NCB was subsequently transferred and is stated on the new Roojai schedule now as 50% as well as the baht value of 8,180.95 baht with the annual 1st class premium now (only) 6,925.46 baht.

This was very informativ for me, many thanks for that. Will save it and follow up now in december when renewal is coming up..

again many thanks till all of you guys who help me here with your nice comments and information.

glegolo

20 minutes ago, glegolo said:

This was very informativ for me, many thanks for that. Will save it and follow up now in december when renewal is coming up..

again many thanks till all of you guys who help me here with your nice comments and information.

glegolo

To tax a Car you only need the basic government insurance which is about 600thb.  This only covers hospital cost except etc. to a third-party.

If the other person  only had this insurance or less the insurance company will try in the first instance  to claim from him. If unsuccessful you will definitely lose your  NCB or some of it.

It is possible that the police and insurance company asked your wife to except blame. Doing this appears to be an easier way out all around. 

17 hours ago, JAS21 said:

To tax a Car you only need the basic government insurance which is about 600thb.  This only covers hospital cost except etc. to a third-party.

Correct. The mandatory government minimum 'third party' coverage. Not worth a hill of  beans in a more serious prang as (I think) it caps out at around 30,000 baht? Hence stories of errant motorbike riders coming after the not at fault car driver for alleged loss of income, possible long-term injury and other nonsense.

If the other person  only had this insurance or less the insurance company will try in the first instance  to claim from him. If unsuccessful you will definitely lose your  NCB or some of it.

You have a citation for this sort of buck passing being applied in Thailand? Insurance companies are in business to make profit and my experience of being fobbed off with used parts for a repair under first class insurance gave me an insight to this. I had opted for the more expensive 'dealer garage' repair option but the truck ended up being repaired at the same body shop where those opting for the ~20% cheaper 'insurer garage' got their cars fixed.... and they used parts recovered from someone elses partial wreck.

It is possible that the police and insurance company asked your wife to except blame. Doing this appears to be an easier way out all around.

If that happened, and in this instance I reckon that's a pretty big IF, then that was a decision made entirely by the insurance company's agent attending the scene of the accident. These agents are NOT full-time employee's of the insurance company but work for a third party agency that supplies these loss adjusters. Being on commission, some of them can be less ardent in representing their clients best interests. If any agent tries to pull that flanker, it's time to contact the insurance company directly.

On 10/1/2019 at 7:49 AM, ezzra said:

Standard procedure, both here and in most other places, it that the own insurance company will pay damage to the OP, and will try to recuperate from the liable party. That party having no insurance is unimportant to the OP unless, and that is quite common in Thailand, it is decided to accept blame in order to help the liable party without insurance and money.

It is not the insurance company of the liable party that has any role in this, it is the liable party.

18 hours ago, JAS21 said:

"If unsuccessful you will definitely lose your  NCB or some of it."

Not correct, success with recuperation of damages should have no effect on the OP's NCB.