will the yellow book be compulsory?

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Where was this at?

And why did you have to have a friend?

And did you get the yellow book that day?

It was at Pattaya town hall ,the friend was another householder and did not get the yellow book then ,but was told that we can pick it up shortly .

I have no experience of a yellow book. The opinion that everyone will need one is probably in response to Immigration law requiring the person who is in charge of the residence to report any foreigner visiting that place.  I believe that in a formal marriage in Thailand the husband has that role.  So if you are in that position then you will need to be registered. In order to make the TM30 report ‘hassle free’ you need a registration document, if that is a yellow book then you need that. 

Edited by tgeezer
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

It was at Pattaya town hall ,the friend was another householder and did not get the yellow book then ,but was told that we can pick it up shortly .

Thank you. I was thinking you were inferring there had to be a witness. On the other hand, if can get with in a week or so that is ok. 

7 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Thank you. I was thinking you were inferring there had to be a witness. On the other hand, if can get with in a week or so that is ok. 

I did yellow book in Pattaya a couple of years ago and you needed a witness, someone with a bluebook and ID that knows you.

OP, possibly needed the same unless they changed things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No it’s not going to happen.

If anything it would be the opposite and they would stop issuing them to foreigners with temporary permission to stay.

Immigration plan to eventually issue expats with ID style cards containing address and visa info.; when issuing long term extensions of stay. 

If thats the case, wouldn't it make sense to use the system thats already in place ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I applied for a yellow book a couple of weeks ago ,something the lady at city hall said made me think"lucky that your applying for it now as all residents will have to have one soon" i wonder ,she seemed to be serious . had our interview the other day with the head there and he was nice as pie laughing and joking with the wife and our friend ,who accompanied us .

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not going to happen. Many people cannot get one so that would be impossible.

I've had a Yellow Tabien Baan and a Pink ID card for a few years now. At the moment it's purely a voluntary option to apply for one and, under the present rules, I agree with Ubonjoe that a lot of people would find it very difficult, if not impossible, to obtain them because it requires the permission of the owner of your residence to apply. The yellow book in it's current form, with the possible addition of an English translation would be OK but the pink ID  would need to be totally revamped and updateable to include current 'visa status' etc to completely replace the passport. But you never know, things move slowly in Thailand so, with a change in the current rules ................ who knows.

I use them in the same way a Thai National use their's and find them very useful and much more convenient than messing around with taking my passport and applying for a residence certificate  etc every time I need official documentation. 

While in the earlier days they weren't always recognised everywhere most places (such as banks, driving licence renewals, hospital registration, sim card registration, Tax ID number, buying/selling a car, etc, etc to name just a few) now recognise and accept them straight away.

With the endless moans and complaints by members here on TV concerning things like TM30's, 90 day reports, etc,etc, some kind of official ID for 'long stay' (and yes I know it's only a year at a time) foreigners to use in a similar form to Thai National's ID system would both solve a lot of problems and make life a lot easier for those of us living in Thailand.

But that would need all of us to be positive about a change and not to complain about negative 'big brother' reasons for not complying. There's too many negative expats on TV. But then again, as I said, you never know .................................

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I agree ,but she seemed serious .

So if I look you in the eye, and seem serious when I tell you I'm Pamela Anderson but just had my boobs removed, you'd believe me? ????

Just pulling your leg, but I'd be really surprised if that happened.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

I've had a Yellow Tabien Baan and a Pink ID card for a few years now. At the moment it's purely a voluntary option to apply for one and, under the present rules, I agree with Ubonjoe that a lot of people would find it very difficult, if not impossible, to obtain them because it requires the permission of the owner of your residence to apply. The yellow book in it's current form, with the possible addition of an English translation would be OK but the pink ID  would need to be totally revamped and updateable to include current 'visa status' etc to completely replace the passport. But you never know, things move slowly in Thailand so, with a change in the current rules ................ who knows.

I use them in the same way a Thai National use their's and find them very useful and much more convenient than messing around with taking my passport and applying for a residence certificate  etc every time I need official documentation. 

While in the earlier days they weren't always recognised everywhere most places (such as banks, driving licence renewals, hospital registration, sim card registration, Tax ID number, buying/selling a car, etc, etc to name just a few) now recognise and accept them straight away.

With the endless moans and complaints by members here on TV concerning things like TM30's, 90 day reports, etc,etc, some kind of official ID for 'long stay' (and yes I know it's only a year at a time) foreigners to use in a similar form to Thai National's ID system would both solve a lot of problems and make life a lot easier for those of us living in Thailand.

But that would need all of us to be positive about a change and not to complain about negative 'big brother' reasons for not complying. There's too many negative expats on TV. But then again, as I said, you never know .................................

Negative posters on TV? You must be jesting! See below for my counter argument:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

I have no experience of a yellow book. The opinion that everyone will need one is probably in response to Immigration law requiring the person who is in charge of the residence to report any foreigner visiting that place.  I believe that in a formal marriage in Thailand the husband has that role.  So if you are in that position then you will need to be registered. In order to make the TM30 report ‘hassle free’ you need a registration document, if that is a yellow book then you need that. 

The law requiring to report foreigners has been around for a long time already - nothing new there, only that it is more strictly enforced now.

The person in charge of the residence is either the owner or the person registered as the house master in the blue book - and a house master can't be registered in a yellow book AFAIK.

If a couple lives in a house where the woman is registered as the house master (or mistress, whatever...) her status doesn't change just because she got married to the guy.

24 minutes ago, bergan said:

So if I look you in the eye, and seem serious when I tell you I'm Pamela Anderson but just had my boobs removed, you'd believe me? ????

Never, your stubble and adams apple would give you away ????????

Edited by john terry1001
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

n plan to eventually issue expats with ID style cards containing address and visa info.; when issuing long term extensions of stay. 

So, as far as you know, each year when you're granted an extension you'd be given a new card or would this involve a separate application process?

23 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

So, as far as you know, each year when you're granted an extension you'd be given a new card or would this involve a separate application process?

No, it'll be a smart card where any change in info can be changed as and when needed. No need to wait for your annual extension.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Immigration plan to eventually issue expats with ID style cards containing address and visa info.; when issuing long term extensions of stay. 

But what about long-term expats who are not on annual extensions of stay? Those with multi-entry non-O visas for marriage obtained from Savannakhet or Hoh Chi Minh City and making border runs every 90 days (or 150 days if a 60-day extension to visit their wife is tacked on to each 90-day permission to stay) spring to mind in this context.

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

The law requiring to report foreigners has been around for a long time already - nothing new there, only that it is more strictly enforced now.

The person in charge of the residence is either the owner or the person registered as the house master in the blue book - and a house master can't be registered in a yellow book AFAIK.

If a couple lives in a house where the woman is registered as the house master (or mistress, whatever...) her status doesn't change just because she got married to the guy.

I am housemaster in yellow book for my condo

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

If thats the case, wouldn't it make sense to use the system thats already in place ?

The authorities are not bothered, and in some cases against, foreigners being registered in yellow books as it serves no real purpose. And being registered at the Amphoe doesn't comply with any immigration address reporting laws.

40 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But what about long-term expats who are not on annual extensions of stay? Those with multi-entry non-O visas for marriage obtained from Savannakhet or Hoh Chi Minh City and making border runs every 90 days (or 150 days if a 60-day extension to visit their wife is tacked on to each 90-day permission to stay) spring to mind in this context

Multi entry non O visas are not designed as a permanent (annual) entry to enable somebody to stay long term in Thailand.

They are just a necessary stepping stone in the process of staying long term using annual extensions. Using non O visas continually year after year is an abuse of the system and will, I think, be one of the next restrictions that's brought in. That will inevitably cause problems for those people who genuinely need to use that option. 

Over the years Thailand has been lax in upholding immigration rules, allowing and ignored most things ........... until people start take the micky and abusing the system. They've sent the last few years starting to tighten up on those abuses. Things like teachers etc, working illegally, abuse of education visas, restrictions on land border visa exemptions, restrictions on non O visa uses, changes to income requirements for extensions after the abuse of the affidavit system come immediately to mind and, if more and more people continue abuse the non O system, restrictions will surely follow, sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

I don't know, but I would assume - as they are new applications every year - it would be a new card at the beginning of every new stay permit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

I don't know, but I would assume - as they are new applications every year - it would be a new card at the beginning of every new stay permit.

No, much more likely to be a smart card where any change in info can be changed as and when needed. No need to wait for your annual extension.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But what about long-term expats who are not on annual extensions of stay? Those with multi-entry non-O visas for marriage obtained from Savannakhet or Hoh Chi Minh City and making border runs every 90 days (or 150 days if a 60-day extension to visit their wife is tacked on to each 90-day permission to stay) spring to mind in this context.

These ID cards were proposed a few years ago and aimed at expats issued with stay permits by local immigration offices only.

1 minute ago, john terry1001 said:

No, much more likely to be a smart card where any change in info can be changed as and when needed. No need to wait for your annual extension.

They might be smart in that the visa and address info will be embedded. But as permission to stay is granted for a specific time I expect a new card linked to that stay would be issued each time.

If the front of the card only includes photo and address info, your idea could work. But I expect it to include the date permission to stay expires too, which would necessitate a new card at each renewal. IMO a date on the card would be required so any police/immigration officer can see - on inspection - if the foreigner hasn't overstayed. 

For me obtaining it was compulsory, as no bank in the district was going to open an account in my name without it. Every branch specifically asked for it. IO told us they didn't issue residence certs for banks.

The pink ID was automatically issued with the book.