USED Motorcycles through a Chiang Mai Dealer? Honda MSX or Kawasaki KSR

WaveHunter

I am interested in buying a used motorcycle in the Chiang Mai area but want to do it through a dealer.  Can anyone suggest a dealer that sells used bikes?  I've talked to the Honda dealership and they flat out said they only sell new bikes.

I want to buy through a dealer mainly to overcome language barrier ( I do not speak Thai), and also help with registering / insuring the bike.  I have read that Insurance company can provide this service (for a fee) but can't find much info on this, so any advice would be appreciated. 

I have a long-stay visa and a Thai driver's license (motorcycle), but when I look at bike transfer/registration process, all the paperwork from the Land Transportation Office is written in Thai including instructions with no translation to English at all, so I'd prefer to have a dealer handle all of this for me, or possibly an agent (like Chiang Mai Buddy maybe)?

As regards the actual bike I'm looking for...I am looking for a bike to use around town but also one capable of dirt roads/trails around Doi Suthep.  Based on this I am looking at Honda MSX-SF3 or Kawasaki KSR.  It seems that the KSR would be more appropriate for real off road trails, but the MSX sounds like it's a more versatile bike and of better build quality and reliability.  If somebody can suggest alternatives or feedback from an actual owner of either bike, I'm all ears.

A late model, used KSR sounds very inexpensive (15-25k baht).  A late model, used MSX-SF3 sounds a little more pricey (28-45k baht).  As long as I can recoup a fair amount of purchase price a year later when I plan to sell is OK with me.

I only plan to keep it one year after which I will be leaving Thailand, so, I'm also curious how quickly I will be able to sell the bike when the time comes.  Can anyone tell me how effective Facebook Marketplace is for selling?  I see tons of used bikes listed there.  Just wondering if that's the best way to sell when the time comes.

1341807424_snapshot_2019-10-01at9_58_53AM.jpg.03f9bc4bb2a3e1121f2792ae51154e4c.jpg

KAWASAKI KSR

993920632_snapshot_2019-10-01at10_07_24AM.jpg.3de600cac702d566bd810f27788eeb54.jpg

HONDA MSX-SF3

Edited by WaveHunter

Hi @JonnyF,  Thanks for your reply.  I was looking at the KLX150 initially but the used ones, though fairly priced are more than I want to spend.  Also, I'm not really looking for a true off road bike like for heavily rutted dirt trails and rock gardens, but more for occasional rides on dirt roads like the Mae Rim Loop around Doi Suthep. 

The most use will actually be for just getting around town. 

Also, I'm not a large person (5'7") and when I sat on the KLX at the dealer (actually it was a KLX250 I think), it felt very large for me.  The KSR and MSX just felt a little more comfortable, and perhaps much more nimble and controllable in heavy town traffic which is where I'll be using the bike mostly.

Since you own a KSR, what are your views of it, in light of my comments?

1811542380_snapshot_2019-10-01at10_56_27AM.thumb.jpg.fb194d5924c8702731fe5590dd236cc4.jpg

The Mae RIm Loop is the trail in Orange, looping back around Doi Suthep on this map.  The other marked trails are mountain bike trails that I've ridden my mountain bike on, but just don't have the time or inclination for anymore, except for the mint green trail which goes from the Zoo up to the temple and then you could connect with the Mae Rim trail (with a motorcycle, I think).

I saw somebody post a motorcycle ride on a Honda MSX using this route:

1643835247_snapshot_2019-10-01at11_06_51AM.jpg.f0f4c13c6c4691247dd71078d6c53ba2.jpg

Edited by WaveHunter

The KSR is a good bike, I have the semi auto (gears but no clutch) and I've had mine since 2007 and it's been rock solid. It's based on the kids dirt bike the KLX110 so it's pretty much unbreakable (if you've ever seen kids ride dirtbikes you'll know they have a natural talent for abusing them so they have to be built tough). It's pretty slow though, it will struggle up steep hills but I enjoy riding it (although I actually enjoy riding pretty much any motorbike, except very small scooters like Fino's). It tops out at about 85 but it will sit there all day long with no issues.

The longest trip I've done on it in one sitting was 280 kms and it was fine, sore ass after 200 kms but not too bad. It has a fairly big tank for such a small bike (8 litres from memory) so the range is pretty good, you can get 300 kms out of a tank which is handy when you're out in the sticks with not many gas stations.

They're really cheap second hand as well, you can easily get them under 20k on mocyc.com.

Z125 is another option, it's Kawasaki's version of the MSX.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

The KSR is a good bike, I have the semi auto (gears but no clutch) and I've had mine since 2007 and it's been rock solid. It's based on the kids dirt bike the KLX110 so it's pretty much unbreakable (if you've ever seen kids ride dirtbikes you'll know they have a natural talent for abusing them so they have to be built tough). It's pretty slow though, it will struggle up steep hills but I enjoy riding it (although I actually enjoy riding pretty much any motorbike, except very small scooters like Fino's). It tops out at about 85 but it will sit there all day long with no issues.

The longest trip I've done on it in one sitting was 280 kms and it was fine, sore ass after 200 kms but not too bad. It has a fairly big tank for such a small bike (8 litres from memory) so the range is pretty good, you can get 300 kms out of a tank which is handy when you're out in the sticks with not many gas stations.

They're really cheap second hand as well, you can easily get them under 20k on mocyc.com.

Z125 is another option, it's Kawasaki's version of the MSX.

Yeah, I looked at a lot of options and for the money, the KSR just seemed like the biggest bang for the buck.  They seem priced so low that I was worried perhaps there might be an issue with build quality or reliability so it's nice to hear you feel they are good bikes.

So, power-wise, do you feel like they'd climb up steep roads like the road up to the Temple on Doi Suthep from the Zoo?  

Both bikes are great, but the MSX seems to be much more popular, which means the mechanics should be more familiar with them, be more likely to have spare parts and less likely to balls something up. But of course both bikes are incredibly easy to work on, you should be able to do almost everything yourself except new tyres and valve clearances.

Edited by SteveK
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

Both bikes are great, but the MSX seems to be much more popular, which means the mechanics should be more familiar with them, be more likely to have spare parts and less likely to balls something up.

Yes, good  point.  I was thinking of that as well.  Probably easier to find a buyer too when I decide to sell it. The only issue is the price.  They seem awfully overpriced for what you are really getting, though I may be wrong about that.  

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

I am interested in buying a used motorcycle in the Chiang Mai area but want to do it through a dealer. 

Keep a eye out on bahtsold.com

mostly farangs selling to farangs. 

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Keep a eye out of bahtsold.com

mostly farangs selling to farangs. 

Yeah, I noticed that BahtSold is heavily used by Non-Thai.  Not that many bikes listed on BahtSold though.  Tons of bikes are listed on Facebook Marketplace but I'm concerned about the language barrier since I don't speak Thai, and most ads on Facebook seem to be from Thais that are not that fluent in English.

That fact, combined with how I will handle transfer/registration / insurance on a bike purchase from a private seller are my real concerns. 

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

That fact, combined with how I will handle transfer/registration / insurance on a bike purchase from a private seller are my real concerns. 

That's not too bad, I would be more concerned about being sold a lemon.

3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

That's not too bad, I would be more concerned about being sold a lemon.

LOL...my #1 concern ????  I don't know that much about bike mechanics, but I can usually tell if someone is being honest with me...provided there isn't a language barrier.

Edited by WaveHunter

43 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

The Mae RIm Loop

The Mae Rim loop is all paved.... great for a road bike.   An off road type bike is probably going to be rarely of use , around town.   There are many more nice used road bikes for sale.  Maybe for your occasional dirt expeditions you could just rent a bike for a day or two ?

I speak thai and know how to register and what is necessary.  You can pm me with specific questions if you like,    rumak

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Edited 1 minute ago by WaveHunter

I am not a thai basher.... but do think it is better to buy from a farang.   Farangs USUALLY do routine maintenance like changing oil, etc.    With thais maybe not so much  ????

A shop will assist you with registration.   Be aware that you will need a certificate of residence among a few other things.   ( get at immig for free (3 weeks wait)  or pay for expedited (next day)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Go to Ruamchok market, with a friend who can speak Thai,

they have hundreds of motorbikes for sale there,they

have price tags on,you can negotiate price ,they have

a person there who can do the transfer for you.worth

going even if just to give you an idea on prices for used

motor bikes, its on Mae jo road, look for McDonalds sign

its at the rear of the Market next door.

regards Worgeordie

when i saw bikes there i was not impressed....... with condition or price   (my opinion)

3 minutes ago, rumak said:

The Mae Rim loop is all paved.... great for a road bike.   An off road type bike is probably going to be rarely of use , around town.   There are many more nice used road bikes for sale.  Maybe for your occasional dirt expeditions you could just rent a bike for a day or two ?

I speak thai and know how to register and what is necessary.  You can pm me with specific questions if you like,    rumak

Hey, Thanks Rumak!  I may take you up on PM advice when I get to that point; most appreciated!  How did you make out on the Amazon / Roku Stick BTW?

Regarding the Mae Rim Loop, I thought a good part of that was on unpaved roads.  I saw a YouTube video of somebody riding it on a Honda MSX and he said it would have been impossible during rainy season if he didn't have knobby tires.  Maybe I was wrong and it wasn't actually the Mae Rim Loop but dirt roads off of it.

This was his route:

1685576937_snapshot_2019-10-01at11_06_51AM.jpg.bebbb65d761ec726fbdd3427ab7708b1.jpg

That's the kind of riding I'd like to do on occasion.  I don't think rental shops would rent an off-road bike, would they?  

10 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Go to Ruamchok market, with a friend who can speak Thai,

they have hundreds of motorbikes for sale there,they

have price tags on,you can negotiate price ,they have

a person there who can do the transfer for you.worth

going even if just to give you an idea on prices for used

motor bikes, its on Mae jo road, look for McDonalds sign

its at the rear of the Market next door.

regards Worgeordie

Thank you for naming it!  Somebody had mentioned that but didn't know the name or location.  Just checked it out on Google Maps / Reviews.  I will check it in person for sure ????

Edited by WaveHunter

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

That's the kind of riding I'd like to do on occasion.  I don't think rental shops would rent an off-road bike, would they?  

there are some near thapae gate that have many.   

The dirt roads you refer to are definitely  OFF of the main loop,  which I've ridden many times.

there are some near thapae gate that have many.   

The dirt roads you refer to are definitely  OFF of the main loop,  which I've ridden many times.

They sure looked like a lot of fun in the videos I've seen, even during rainy season LOL!  So, do you have any recommendations of shops that would rent a off-road bikes in the 110-250 cc range in Chiang Mai that I ca check out online, or is it like many things in Thailand where you need to hunt them down by foot?

Edited by WaveHunter

a word of caution.    unless buying from an established dealer do not take somebodies word on how

"easy it is to transfer"  the title.       Yes, it is easy if someone is not lying  lol      The owners book is green and  must be in same name as person who is selling to you.   Best to go together to transfer and PAY THEM after all is done at the office !

That is great advice. Thanks!  Is that pretty common for both seller and buyer to go to Land Transportation Office together for transaction?  Does the transefr and registration all happen while you are there, or is there waiting period before the bike is actually legally drivable on the road?

Edited by WaveHunter

11 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

That is great advice. Thanks!  Is that pretty common for both seller and buyer to go to Land Transportation Office together for transaction?

Very common in MY CASE   ????        It takes less than an hour (there is a DMV office in Nong Hoi area right near Rajavet Hospital.    Owner needs the green book and fills out Sellers Form.  You basically need passport and Certificate of Residence.    Thats it.   There will be a small transfer fee which you should agree on WHO will pay that.     Also if registration is up to date no insurance needed as old one is valid (get info from owner)  until next registration.   The green book shows how many previous owners  BTW

Also you can take bike to a shop to inspect for you or maybe one of these guys like steve k will look ??

Before you buy , that is

AND.......when i sold a bike to a Thai guy he held onto the money until we did the transfer at the office... i knew him but still was a bit wary  haha

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

how I will handle transfer/registration / insurance on a bike purchase from a private seller are my real concerns. 

Most moto sales-shops will do the paperwork cheap.

So motos are permitted on those cycle trails on DS?

Edited by papa al
  • Like 1

Maintenance in Thai usually means repairing the bike when something breaks. Then "maintaining" it again when the next thing goes pop. I.e. very few will do regular servicing with most people just riding the bike until it doesn't go any more.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

Does the transefr and registration all happen while you are there, or is there waiting period before the bike is actually legally drivable on the road?

if you go in the morning all is done within an hour. Both of you should go up to teller when your number is called. They will look at the paperwork which will have sales price written in by seller. (that is what the tax is dependent on, so agree on it beforehand.)  You (buyer) will get a receipt to come back in afternoon to pick up the GREEN book,  and your name will be typed in .   

You can give money to the seller when you get the receipt. ( it is now YOURS)   You get the keys and drive home !  The receipt you get will serve as the proof of ownership if stopped before you make it back to get the book.   

EDIT:  if i remember correctly one thing that must be done at the DMV (first) is to get the bike checked by the attendants there to see all numbers match up to the green book !

No cost and great protection for buyer

Edited by rumak

5 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Maintenance in Thai usually means repairing the bike when something breaks. Then "maintaining" it again when the next thing goes pop. I.e. very few will do regular servicing with most people just riding the bike until it doesn't go any more.

I guess it's just the "Thai Mindset".  If it's not broke, don't fix it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I guess it's just the "Thai Mindset".  If it's not broke, don't fix it.

I know many a Farang  with a similar mindset :  " well, I ain't broke yet so why fix it "

of course it was their relationship that they were referring to   .

23 minutes ago, rumak said:

I know many a Farang  with a similar mindset :  " well, I ain't broke yet so why fix it "

of course it was their relationship that they were referring to   .

Yes, it's a pretty universal sentiment no matter where you live I guess.  Personally I believe in preventative maintenance with everything (including relationships LOL). 

It's also a concern I have about buying a used bike since you have no idea if the previous owner might have abused it.  So, when you commented on how durable the KSR is (even when abused), that caught my attention.  I've also heard that said about the MSX, particularly its' engine.

When it comes to riding a bike on remote backroads or deep on a side trail in the woods, I can't imagine what a hassle it would be to have something break that was preventable, and be forced to walk out pushing your dead bike up and down rugged and hilly terrain, especially during rainy season!

I've had to do that a few times with my mountain bike.  It would be a whole different story with a heavier motorcycle.

Edited by WaveHunter

Just make sure you adjust the chain now and again so that it's not too loose and keep it lubed with actual chain lube, not wd40. And carry a can of tyreweld under the seat (or in a backpack, can't remember if these bikes have a storage compartment) to get you home in case you get a puncture. And if you buy a used bike, the first thing to do is replace the battery with a good brand like Yuasa, not a Thai brand. Then you're very unlikely to get yourself into a pickle.

Edited by SteveK