I never get food poisoning in the states but I do here..

3 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

I stopped by the local water treatment plant and talked with the operator at length. I speak Thai and am knowledgeable of water treatment. The operator was pleased because he mostly works alone and people don't stop and ask questions, unless there is an interruption of service. He explained the WHO guidelines and each of the processes. Although a normal village guy, I found him very knowledgeable. Now when I see him he always greets me as a friend. 

The basic plant design and I believe the construction is provided by the government and seem consistent with good practices. 

I know the water processing plant in Bangkok at Khlong Pha Pha is very modern (also been there) but distribution is a problem with people using illegal pumps to pump directly from the main lines. 

In the US it is mandated that outside faucets have anti syphon devices installed to prevent backflows. Its a problem here, but fortunately were are fairly close to our local treatment plant. 

BTW I'm friends with the local Tessaban guys and think I could ask them anything without them being offended.

Good for you. 

All of which still has nothing to do with my initial comments about water in a village you've never been to much less heard of.  If I still lived there, would invite you out for a luke warm glass.  We can video it, like one of those ice bucket challenges.  Be even better if you reacted and commented afterward in Thai.  I could put it on Facebook, make the Tessaban lose face but you'd be the man of the hour in the village. 

Thank you Khun Fred!  We love you and hope you recover soon!  :drunk:

8 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

But surely their kitchens should be better cleansed than say some street vendor selling pork on a stick?

That's just what I think

You can write Gordon Ramsey and ask him to check the kitchens in the restaurants....

The Thai were happy to get the Michelin group here so why not invite chef Ramsey as well?

31 minutes ago, fruitman said:

You can write Gordon Ramsey and ask him to check the kitchens in the restaurants....

The Thai were happy to get the Michelin group here so why not invite chef Ramsey as well?

I would love to see an episode of kitchen nightmares in Thailand!

Wonder if gordon would use greng jai or let the lazy chefs have it with both barrels! 

29 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

Wonder if gordon would use greng jai or let the lazy chefs have it with both barrels! 

Gordon was in Thailand but not to comment on anything. He should have a sticker with 'gordons approval' for the good restaurants that he checked....

Well actually he has that already , he has many of his own restaurants, like the one in Singapore. I expect everything to be perfect in there but who knows. Still have to eat there but it's only open for a year or so.

Edited by fruitman

36 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

You have revealed yourself (again as you do in all your threads eventually).  Just another low rent rant at the expense of the country that you choose to live in, and which is good enough to let you stay despite your constant bile.  If you have seen that show and see any parallels in the places that you eat here, then more fool you!

Meanwhile I have not had food poisoning once in coming up to 20 years here; my missus just once from seafood on one of the Samet beaches also a couple of decades or so ago.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Slip said:

You have revealed yourself (again as you do in all your threads eventually).  Just another low rent rant at the expense of the country that you choose to live in, and which is good enough to let you stay despite your constant bile.  If you have seen that show and see any parallels in the places that you eat here, then more fool you!

Meanwhile I have not had food poisoning once in coming up to 20 years here; my missus just once from seafood on one of the Samet beaches also a couple of decades or so ago.

Oh there you are, our forum apologist....

pp

but hey did i complain about food poisoning? Have never had that in Thailand, not in 20 years....but sure in India and i think that hardened me off.

I admit though that i don't eat mussles, oysters, raw beef, streetfood, and so on. I did drink water from the tap for years though.

It's almost impossible to find a decent steak in BKK, so i cook myself. If there was a Gordon's restaurant or by him approved ones i sure would go eat there because i admire western standards even when i won't get sick from eating low standard food. And sure i 'll pay extra, no problem...i didn't go to Thailand because it's cheap (like you probably) and can easy afford it.

To get used to the asian bacterials it's wise to to be patient, it takes time to build up resistance.

7 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Oh there you are, our forum apologist....

pp

but hey did i complain about food poisoning? Have never had that in Thailand, not in 20 years....but sure in India and i think that hardened me off.

I admit though that i don't eat mussles, oysters, raw beef, streetfood, and so on. I did drink water from the tap for years though.

It's almost impossible to find a decent steak in BKK, so i cook myself. If there was a Gordon's restaurant or by him approved ones i sure would go eat there because i admire western standards even when i won't get sick from eating low standard food. And sure i 'll pay extra, no problem...i didn't go to Thailand because it's cheap (like you probably) and can easy afford it.

To get used to the asian bacterials it's wise to to be patient, it takes time to build up resistance.

Hmm, ok.  Of course if you had taken a second before leaping off in your breathless response, you may have realised that I wasn't talking to you.  The clue was in the post I quoted.

Who do you think I'm apologising for?  The thousands upon thousands of street restaurants who do not poison their clients on a daily basis?  So be it.  

There is only one other point I think is worthy of addressing in your nonsense- I don't come to Thailand because it is cheap, I live here (as I clearly pointed out it the post that you felt you had to have a little rant at).  Never mind tomorrow is another day.

5 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

Your stomach is used to all that american <deleted> and junk food. as soon you eat real vegetables you got problems

yeah cuz there are no real veggies in the USA, only fake ones.

• Like 1

He has already visited the Kingdom - ‘Gordons Great Escape’
He loved the Thai cooking and was very polite !

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sure it's food poisoning? I think of those styropor Beer Bottle "condoms". Sometimes your fingers almost stick to them. Not to speak of Toilet-Door-Knobs. Bacterias paradise!
Possibly the food is not always the culprit.

I usually end up riding the porcelain honda at least once a year

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/5/2019 at 8:41 PM, AlexRRR said:

Wash your hands and often, only twice and i can pin point each time i got that bug.

I also use alcohol spray and hand sanitizer. I daresay Im washing my hands 5 times a day in addition.

But dudes, think of this: Train Hold straps and handrails. Escalator Handrails. Taxi door handles. Tuk Tuk rails. Think of all the folks touching those things every day...it just takes one person who lives under a dumpster to contaminate the world.

Wash those hands.

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I also use alcohol spray and hand sanitizer. I daresay Im washing my hands 5 times a day in addition.

But dudes, think of this: Train Hold straps and handrails. Escalator Handrails. Taxi door handles. Tuk Tuk rails. Think of all the folks touching those things every day...it just takes one person who lives under a dumpster to contaminate the world.

Wash those hands.

There is truth in what you say.

However, personally I use white blood cells.....

34 minutes ago, YITB1980 said:

Beware of mayo and mayo-based salad dressings. If they haven't kept it properly chilled, it can bite you.

Ya mean like those squeeze bottle of mayo dressing they use to dress up your salad from the steak carts? Yum.

On 10/2/2019 at 10:36 PM, kellersphuket said:

There is a difference between food poisoning and an upset tummy from too much spicy. The one time I got really sick in Thailand was from a pricy bistro in Chiang Mai. 

There was a funny one where Gordo gets thrashed by a Thai chef for his bad Pad Thai (probably a set up). A lovely one can be had for 30-40 baht from a street vendor

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vbxydd/gordon-ramsay-pad-thai-video

On 10/2/2019 at 6:16 AM, kellersphuket said:

But surely their kitchens should be better cleansed than say some street vendor selling pork on a stick?

That's just what I think.

not necessarily.

hygiene inspections, if any, are a joke and standards are not really adhered to.

places that don't have many visitors such as many western-style hotel restaurants or other food places that don't cater to Thais or are out of the way are under high pressure to save costs, especially now, as most businesses are struggling.

They will tend to re-use anything they can and meat may wander several times in and out the freezer, certain pans may not be heated up every day or cutting boards not sterilized the same day.

if you want to avoid getting sick, go to places with many customers.

buying food from streetfood vendors is actually a good way to avoid getting sick. look for busy stands with their habitual spot and buy from there.

• Like 2