About Worms As Fish/animal Feed

i looked up earthworm farms on the net,since i was interested in breeding them for use as catfish feed. found out that the dried stuff has about 95% protien. lots of adverts for equipment but no real info on how quickly they will multiply. i tried one of their simple home-made wormeries but realised that i would have to do it large scale(very) if i was going to get the quantities i would need. but what did surface is that a south african 5-star hotel in somerset west,cape province is using earthworms to process their tons of kitchen waste,which was becoming a problem. i forget the numbers, but they got it right,and process tons of waste very quickly this way. castings and "nectar" have reportedly provided an extra revenue. and the smell and waste problem have been cured.

i forget the site, but you should find it relatively easily just doing a google search on earthworms, but what i suggest is that you get hold of the MOUNT NELSON hotel,SOMERSETWEST,CAPE PROVINCE in SOUTH AFRICA

good luck, and please let us know when you have a few tons of earthworms for sale as fishfood.

frikkiel

Frikkie I edited the title of you post to differentiate it from the general worm farm/compost threads. It's the same post as you put in the "wormery" thread anyway.

Anyway. I've never thought about worms as a food but at 95% protien a little could go a long way. You say thats dried, could they be ground and used as a suplement simular to fish meal ?

Frikkie I edited the title of you post to differentiate it from the general worm farm/compost threads. It's the same post as you put in the "wormery" thread anyway.

Anyway. I've never thought about worms as a food but at 95% protien a little could go a long way. You say thats dried, could they be ground and used as a suplement simular to fish meal ?

i did follow it up and powdered earthworm is available from suppliers in vietnam and i think there was a chinese supplier too, but when they got back to me with the price i found it to be unviable -i think they are selling it for human consumption. it would be an excellent feed as it contains high percentages of other nutrients and vitamins too.

by the way,dried "mun sampalang" leaves contain 40% protien. the leaves contain very high percentage of cyanide,so dont munch on a fresh one. the cyanide all but disappears after the leaves are left to wilt,and it is then safe as an animal feed. i read a technical paper produced by a bangladesh university, and they had very good results feeding them to goats and cattle. and since they are simply left to rot on the lands after harvest in thailand they can be harvested free. they lack methionone but have a high vitamin c content and after investigating the possibility of using it a catfish feed formulation,i left it since once you mix it with other ingredients needed to make a complete feed and to get it to be palatable to catfish,the feed would contain less than the desired protien content. they may,however make a great feed for tilapia,just on their own or as a supplement-i dont know since i havent studied the nutritional requirements of this species. maybe someone could follow this one up....?

another "by the way": in south africa, feedlot cattle are fed up to 50% chicken manure in their diet! the battery chicken farmers lay a layer of maize husk out and grow their chickens, then shovel it out and it gets sold to the feedlots. in thailand the chickens are raised on a bed of rice husk. this could also be followed up, if anybody is interested.

frikkie

So, what do you figure worms are worth as a feed additive? live weight? Maybe Syduan will be interested.

as animal, or human food? heard they are being exported from thai to china. some kind of a delicacy there. really dont know too much about the subject-best to check it out on the net,but they are apparently highly nutritious-even if they do taste like shit!

So, what do you figure worms are worth as a feed additive? live weight? Maybe Syduan will be interested.

as animal, or human food? heard they are being exported from thai to china. some kind of a delicacy there. really dont know too much about the subject-best to check it out on the net,but they are apparently highly nutritious-even if they do taste like shit!

As fish food. Since you know the dry protein content and it should be easy to find the water content you should be able to calculate the protein content for any percentage of water that might be good for fish food mixing....I figured you could work them into your feed mix (either dry or wet...whichever mixes up best) to get whatever protein content you wanted. You could then compare the cost and protein content of what you have done so far with your new formula using worms (either dried or fresh) and come up with an estimate of what worms are worth to you as a fish food additive......maybe RandomChances could do something similar for dairy cows. Once we had some estimates of the approximate value of worms as fish/animal feed we could see if Syduan could produce them at or near that price.

Chownah

i did follow it up and powdered earthworm is available from suppliers in vietnam and i think there was a chinese supplier too, but when they got back to me with the price i found it to be unviable -i think they are selling it for human consumption. it would be an excellent feed as it contains high percentages of other nutrients and vitamins too.

by the way,dried "mun sampalang" leaves contain 40% protien. the leaves contain very high percentage of cyanide,so dont munch on a fresh one. the cyanide all but disappears after the leaves are left to wilt,and it is then safe as an animal feed. i read a technical paper produced by a bangladesh university, and they had very good results feeding them to goats and cattle. and since they are simply left to rot on the lands after harvest in thailand they can be harvested free. they lack methionone but have a high vitamin c content and after investigating the possibility of using it a catfish feed formulation,i left it since once you mix it with other ingredients needed to make a complete feed and to get it to be palatable to catfish,the feed would contain less than the desired protien content. they may,however make a great feed for tilapia,just on their own or as a supplement-i dont know since i havent studied the nutritional requirements of this species. maybe someone could follow this one up....?

another "by the way": in south africa, feedlot cattle are fed up to 50% chicken manure in their diet! the battery chicken farmers lay a layer of maize husk out and grow their chickens, then shovel it out and it gets sold to the feedlots. in thailand the chickens are raised on a bed of rice husk. this could also be followed up, if anybody is interested.

frikkie

I did a fair bit of research on cassava ("mun sampalang") years ago. I processed many tons of the roots and the aerial plant for my cattle. over a period of 3 years. Where did you get "40%" from? The leaf is ca.25%, the main tree stem ca.17% and the branches ca.20%. I always used a figure of 20% when calculating the use of the complete aeriel tree (excluding the roots) when formulating my cattle feed. Truly excellent free source.

Chicken, fish, and pig manure can all be used as ingredients in cattle feed for protein.

With regards to earthworms, I've never understood why Thais do not eat them...considering how easily they eat insects. Earthworms are eaten (raw, I think) in many parts of Africa and have always been known to be an excellent source of healthy nutrition for humans and animals. I did not realise, however, that they were as high as 95% in protein (dry matter basis).

frikkie

I did a fair bit of research on cassava ("mun sampalang") years ago. I processed many tons of the roots and the aerial plant for my cattle. over a period of 3 years. Where did you get "40%" from? The leaf is ca.25%, the main tree stem ca.17% and the branches ca.20%. I always used a figure of 20% when calculating the use of the complete aeriel tree (excluding the roots) when formulating my cattle feed. Truly excellent free source.

Chicken, fish, and pig manure can all be used as ingredients in cattle feed for protein.

With regards to earthworms, I've never understood why Thais do not eat them...considering how easily they eat insects. Earthworms are eaten (raw, I think) in many parts of Africa and have always been known to be an excellent source of healthy nutrition for humans and animals. I did not realise, however, that they were as high as 95% in protein (dry matter basis).

the figure of 40% was for dried leaves. dont know if they were working on %by weight or volume,but this is perhaps why we got different figures?. 95%protien earthworm powder is available for sale on a vietnamese producer's website, and that is why i quoted that figure. they should be excellent as fishfood just ground up or fed whole if you could get the quantities you would need.- a ton of catfish would eat about 50kg per day, so you would need close to 100kg per day if you were going to get out one ton per month-multiply by the amount you need to produce to earn a decent living and it gets scary....

the figure of 40% was for dried leaves. dont know if they were working on %by weight or volume,but this is perhaps why we got different figures?. 95%protien earthworm powder is available for sale on a vietnamese producer's website, and that is why i quoted that figure. they should be excellent as fishfood just ground up or fed whole if you could get the quantities you would need.- a ton of catfish would eat about 50kg per day, so you would need close to 100kg per day if you were going to get out one ton per month-multiply by the amount you need to produce to earn a decent living and it gets scary....

Frikkie

To remove the cyanide, my cassava also had to be sun-dried before being mixed with other ingredients to make a balanced cattle diet. All my figures are on a dry matter basis. If I really need to, I can dig out my old research and provide this to you (BTW, I still grow cassava). Protein as a percentage is always expressed by weight, and on dry matter basis (primarily) since that is the only possible basis for comparison with other protein sources.

Your figure of 95% protein for dried worm sounded somewhat overstated so I did some checking on the Internet. Those sites that I read indicated a maximum of 70% on dry matter basis. I found this site of interest: http://www.wormdigest.org/content/view/135/2/

Rgds

Khonwan

To remove the cyanide, my cassava also had to be sun-dried before being mixed with other ingredients to make a balanced cattle diet. All my figures are on a dry matter basis. If I really need to, I can dig out my old research and provide this to you (BTW, I still grow cassava). Protein as a percentage is always expressed by weight, and on dry matter basis (primarily) since that is the only possible basis for comparison with other protein sources.

Your figure of 95% protein for dried worm sounded somewhat overstated so I did some checking on the Internet. Those sites that I read indicated a maximum of 70% on dry matter basis. I found this site of interest: http://www.wormdigest.org/content/view/135/2/

Rgds

Khonwan

just went back on the net and found dried earthworm powder at 60% potien. the figure i quoted was from a chinese supplier i contacted for prices, and his product claimed 95%. could be the same as fishmeal ,which is available at anything between 30% and 60%protien. i dont sell the stuff, and am no expert, simply passed on figures i was quoted. figures i quoted for cassava leaf were from a united nations- sponsored study to determine the viability of cassava leaf as a cheap protien supplement for african and asian communities whose diets were lacking in protien. they devised a low-tech method of extracting the protien and figures i quoted were based on this study. different strains and different hybrids produced different protien and cyanide levels. i am no nutrition expert, and if you read one of my previous postings(for which i was shot down in flames) i advised catfish farmers on the thaivisa forum not to invest in pelleting machines to produce their own feeds unless they were nutrition experts. you obviously have more experience and knowledge on the subject and could probably throw more light on the subject.

what has come out of all of this is that there is far more to animal and fish nutrition than meets the eye, and that the chances of an ameteur coming up with a wonder-formulation,or,indeed one which could beat,or meet a commercially available formulation are close to zero.

best regards

frikkie

please let us know when you have a few tons of earthworms for sale as fishfood.

frikkiel

If you want to encourage someone to raise earthworms so you can buy them can you give us an estimate of what you think a fair price would be for them if you used them to replace another protein source in your feed mix....what you figure worms are worth when compared to the cost of other fish protein sources....then maybe Syduan or someone else might be interested in growing some for you.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

Hi Frikkie

I share your concerns on the quality of farm/home-made fish feed. I'm experienced in making feed for polygastic animals (for my own cattle) but not monogastic animals (such as pigs and fish). The requirements for the later are far more demanding, with particular reference to the essential amino acids and their ratio to each other. Unless we were to analyse the finished feed, we couldn't hope to match commercial feeds. Still, getting the feed only 80% perfect would still probably be worthwhile financially. Running several tanks at the same time would allow for experimentation and comparison with at least one tank being fed on only commercial feed.

Any worm farmers out there would be most welcome to bring their services to our attention, along with prices.

Rgds

Khonwan

Any worm farmers out there would be most welcome to bring their services to our attention, along with prices.

Rgds

Khonwan

Worms are generally not grown for animal feed so the sytems used are optimized for smaller quantities and because of this prices are not as low as could be. If someone could estimate what worms would be worth as animal feed...even just a ballpark estimate then worm growers and other interested people could determine whether there is any hope of them being produced at a price which would make them affordable as animal feed. Until we determine if it is economically viable then we can discuss this topic till the cows come home without really resolving anything. If we determine that worms are too expensive then we can drop the subject and move on. If we determing that worms could be produced at affordable prices then maybe someone would pursue producing them.

Seems like as soon as we figure out what worms are worth as animal feed we can actually move this topic forward...but of course this is entirely up to whoever contributes to this topic.

Chownah

Rgds

Khonwan

Worms are generally not grown for animal feed so the sytems used are optimized for smaller quantities and because of this prices are not as low as could be. If someone could estimate what worms would be worth as animal feed...even just a ballpark estimate then worm growers and other interested people could determine whether there is any hope of them being produced at a price which would make them affordable as animal feed. Until we determine if it is economically viable then we can discuss this topic till the cows come home without really resolving anything. If we determine that worms are too expensive then we can drop the subject and move on. If we determing that worms could be produced at affordable prices then maybe someone would pursue producing them.

Seems like as soon as we figure out what worms are worth as animal feed we can actually move this topic forward...but of course this is entirely up to whoever contributes to this topic.

Chownah

Most recent quote I've received for 60% protein fishmeal was B23/kg so the dried worms would need to compete with that.

rgds

Rgds

Khonwan

Chownah

Most recent quote I've received for 60% protein fishmeal was B23/kg so the dried worms would need to compete with that.

rgds

Have you any idea how many worms it would take to end up with a 20kg bag of dried worm ?? It would take a huge operation to generate enough for a commercial fish food or additive ,price would be prohibitive against other protein sources, apart from some specialist mackeral fishing fishmeal and meat-meal is derived as a by-product from more lucrative operations.

It would be a far cry from growing worm for their castings by a gardener.

Have you any idea how many worms it would take to end up with a 20kg bag of dried worm ?? It would take a huge operation to generate enough for a commercial fish food or additive ,price would be prohibitive against other protein sources, apart from some specialist mackeral fishing fishmeal and meat-meal is derived as a by-product from more lucrative operations.

I completely agree. And we'd be looking for tons of dried worms each month! I can't see anyone doing that!

Edited by Khonwan

so i went to yahoo and found out that 1.70 aus $ is about 45 baht....that means if worms can be produced in Thailand for about 1/10 of the cost in Australia then the price would be 45 baht per kilo...and this means that if worms could be produced in Thailand for about 1/20 then they would be about 22 baht per kilo and we're starting to get into zone of do-ability...it would be in the ball park of being viable economically as fish food....my view is that this means it can not be ruled out absolutely...it might be possible for a lean Thai business to do it...maybe....I'm not saying it can be done, I'm only saying that so far the data I've gotten does not rule it out absolutely...also does anyone know if feeding live food is more beneficial than processed food for fish? Also does anyone know if worm castings would add nutrition to fish food?

And, by the way, since someone asked if we knew how many worms it would take....the worm mans web site said that it takes between 2,000 and 5,000 worms (I'm assuming red wrigglers) to make one kilo. This does seem like alot but do remember that the worms do indeed groom themselves and you don't have to attend at their births...they are rather low maintenance units.

Edited by chownah

so i went to yahoo and found out that 1.70 aus $ is about 45 baht....that means if worms can be produced in Thailand for about 1/10 of the cost in Australia then the price would be 45 baht per kilo...and this means that if worms could be produced in Thailand for about 1/20 then they would be about 22 baht per kilo and we're starting to get into zone of do-ability...it would be in the ball park of being viable economically as fish food....my view is that this means it can not be ruled out absolutely...it might be possible for a lean Thai business to do it...maybe....I'm not saying it can be done, I'm only saying that so far the data I've gotten does not rule it out absolutely...also does anyone know if feeding live food is more beneficial than processed food for fish? Also does anyone know if worm castings would add nutrition to fish food?

And, by the way, since someone asked if we knew how many worms it would take....the worm mans web site said that it takes between 2,000 and 5,000 worms (I'm assuming red wrigglers) to make one kilo. This does seem like alot but do remember that the worms do indeed groom themselves and you don't have to attend at their births...they are rather low maintenance units.

Chowna, why don't you try farming worms for us? You seem to have the time.

Hi Frikkie

I share your concerns on the quality of farm/home-made fish feed. I'm experienced in making feed for polygastic animals (for my own cattle) but not monogastic animals (such as pigs and fish). The requirements for the later are far more demanding, with particular reference to the essential amino acids and their ratio to each other. Unless we were to analyse the finished feed, we couldn't hope to match commercial feeds. Still, getting the feed only 80% perfect would still probably be worthwhile financially. Running several tanks at the same time would allow for experimentation and comparison with at least one tank being fed on only commercial feed.

Rgds

Khonwan

i agree with everything you wrote in this post. saw a posting on lucerne and alfalfa,both of which are high in protien, i think it was you that posted the link with the pic of the high density catfish tank. well,that was published by rhodes university in south africa ,and if you go through it, they made a feed based on lucerne meal. and tested it. 38% protien and they achieved an fcr of 0.9:1 under controlled conditions. they publish the recipe,too. if somebody knows the thai word for the stuff it could be viable to make a feed from this.by the way, any feed you make can be fed dry,wet,as a dough,etc,. you do not need to invest in a pelletting machine. obviously once you have tested a feed that works it may be a good idea to get one. perhaps we could do as the thais do and make use of the services of a farang who is sucessfull in this venture,who could charge a fee to pellet for us. this could offset the expense of the equipment and we would all score.

good luck everyone

i agree with everything you wrote in this post. saw a posting on lucerne and alfalfa,both of which are high in protien, i think it was you that posted the link with the pic of the high density catfish tank. well,that was published by rhodes university in south africa ,and if you go through it, they made a feed based on lucerne meal. and tested it. 38% protien and they achieved an fcr of 0.9:1 under controlled conditions. they publish the recipe,too. if somebody knows the thai word for the stuff it could be viable to make a feed from this.by the way, any feed you make can be fed dry,wet,as a dough,etc,. you do not need to invest in a pelletting machine. obviously once you have tested a feed that works it may be a good idea to get one. perhaps we could do as the thais do and make use of the services of a farang who is sucessfull in this venture,who could charge a fee to pellet for us. this could offset the expense of the equipment and we would all score.

good luck everyone

I too have been inclined to believe that floating pellets should not be required, given the frenzied feeding behaviour of intensively reared catfish. I feel sure virtually all food should be immediately consumed before it reaches the bottom of the tank.

To give credit where it is due, the poster of the Rhodes University site was Roy Jing http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=110285

Rgds

Khonwan

i looked up earthworm farms on the net,since i was interested in breeding them for use as catfish feed. found out that the dried stuff has about 95% protien. lots of adverts for equipment but no real info on how quickly they will multiply. i tried one of their simple home-made wormeries but realised that i would have to do it large scale(very) if i was going to get the quantities i would need. but what did surface is that a south african 5-star hotel in somerset west,cape province is using earthworms to process their tons of kitchen waste,which was becoming a problem. i forget the numbers, but they got it right,and process tons of waste very quickly this way. castings and "nectar" have reportedly provided an extra revenue. and the smell and waste problem have been cured.

i forget the site, but you should find it relatively easily just doing a google search on earthworms, but what i suggest is that you get hold of the MOUNT NELSON hotel,SOMERSETWEST,CAPE PROVINCE in SOUTH AFRICA

good luck, and please let us know when you have a few tons of earthworms for sale as fishfood.

frikkiel

I have a worm farm in Kanchanaburi and have pending orders for dried worms as a fish food but as you mentioned supply at present is a problem.

We have at present around 100 tons of vermicast in stock and I would estimate around a ton of worms.

Under the right conditions worms will multiply by up to 12 times per year there for I would be looking at the end of next year before I could supply enough worms for our pending orders.

I have a worm farm in Kanchanaburi and have pending orders for dried worms as a fish food but as you mentioned supply at present is a problem.

We have at present around 100 tons of vermicast in stock and I would estimate around a ton of worms.

Under the right conditions worms will multiply by up to 12 times per year there for I would be looking at the end of next year before I could supply enough worms for our pending orders.

How much do dried worms sell for here in Thailand?

Rgds

Khonwan

I completely agree. And we'd be looking for tons of dried worms each month! I can't see anyone doing that!

I do have some worms that can supply to you guys. please pm if you guys are interested.

I do have some worms that can supply to you guys. please pm if you guys are interested.

If I were making my own feed right now I would need about 1800kg per month of 60% protrein dried matter basis. What is your supply volume and at what price?

rgds

If I were making my own feed right now I would need about 1800kg per month of 60% protrein dried matter basis. What is your supply volume and at what price?

rgds

Depends on the season you order, usually i will quote around 800 to 1500 baht on large volume order. IF you are serious please pm me .

rgds

Depends on the season you order, usually i will quote around 800 to 1500 baht on large volume order. IF you are serious please pm me .

800 - 1,500 baht per...ton?? of dried / wet earthworms? Clarity would be useful. Please post some photos of your operation.

rgds

800 - 1,500 baht per...ton?? of dried / wet earthworms? Clarity would be useful. Please post some photos of your operation.

Did i wrote its per ton ?? IF anyone mistaken for per ton basis i apologize but its on per kg including transports.