PM Johnson makes final Brexit offer, draws guarded welcome from EU

webfact

5 hours ago, JAG said:

46.5 million voted. That is 72% of those eligible ( the largest turnout in any voting process since 1996 - the last 5 elections have all had significant lower turnouts).

Leave had a majority. As no less an august and important European figure as Ursula von der Leyen, President elect (a dubious description considering how she arrived at the post but never mind) of the European Union Commission put it, when ratification of her appointment scraped through the European Parliament; "A majority is a majority"!

Those that voted to remain lost the vote. Those who couldn't be arsed to vote (it was hardly a snap decision to hold the referendum, and everyone had ample time to arrange a vote) may wish that the result had been to remain, but, they didn't vote, so they made their views irrelevant. As you yourself put it' they (chose to) have nothing to do with it.

"Leave"had the majority of 51,88%. But.. which form of "Leave" ? One in which everyone for "Remain" has to be expelled of the country being a "traitor", or... a "Leave whatever the consequences = no deal" or a "Leave with a very good compromise with the EU" or...? Looking at the HoC = no, no, no, no, no, no, no. 

Remain = 48,11 % had only ONE way: remain, continue as it is... 

1 Nov 00:00:01: WTO import duty + Schengen visa, being "third country". 

Edited by puipuitom

5 hours ago, Victornoir said:

The EU will not accept the limit in time to 5 years.

It will not accept either the possibility for NI to leave the agreement by vote. It would be to place peace in the island of Ireland at the sole goodwill of NI.

Outside these 2 problems, I find that Johnson's plan is viable and relatively balanced.

Only one tiny miny question still left: "does THIS deal weill pass the UK parliament = elected HoC + the appointed HoL ? 

if not... why the 27 EU member states would agree this time ? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, evadgib said:

Groundhog day, again.

Every morning a new Brexit thread emerges and gets ruthlessly dissected to the sound of sonny and Cher.

Roll on 01-Nov. UK made the right decision and nothing will ever change my mind.

Or mine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannork said:

Anonymity is easy on the internet.

You can look me up any time.

At least the first part of my name is the same, the last letter is the first of my surname and the 3 numbers are the last 3 of my service number. I joined TVF on 11 November 2003 and I have never changed my name.

Is your name really bannork or are you anonymous?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You can look me up any time.

At least the first part of my name is the same, the last letter is the first of my surname and the 3 numbers are the last 3 of my service number. I joined TVF on 11 November 2003 and I have never changed my name.

Is your name really bannork or are you anonymous?

Actually my real name is Catweazle but please don't tell anyone.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Is this not disaster enough ? https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/EURGBP:CUR  From € 1,40 till now € 1,125 or over 634Bn export, 18 % less revenues and over 665 Bn 18 % higher costs = a 200 BN difference in the disadvantage of the UK. And STILL the UK cannot compete with a 20% lower prices... 

Interesting that you used the Nov 2015 exchange rate for your analysis. Rather than the 1.30 in Jun 2016 or even the 1.14 in Oct 2013  or the 1.13 in Feb 2013. You seem to be cherry picking to suit your obvious agenda.

As for your UK Trade figures. What that shows, which you made no comment on, is the extent of the negative trade balance that the UK suffers with other EU states and the positive trade balance with non-EU states. An admittedly simplistic reading of those figures would suggest that less trade with the EU and more trade with non-EU states would be rather beneficial to the UK trade balance.

Any more 'interesting' charts....? 

• Like 2