Buying a keyboard with non-Thai/US layout

jackdd

I'm trying to buy a new keyboard with a German qwertz layout, but i couldn't find a single shop selling such a keyboard in Thailand.

Even on Aliexpress the selection is very limited.

Does anybody know a shop in Thailand which is selling keyboards with foreign layouts, or is my only option to order one from Germany?

Searched so often in the past to no avail.

Two German language forums give nothing substantial.

I got used to the US/Thai keyboard (more or less).

Normally (emails e.g.) I just replace the umlauts (ae, oe, ...).

In the rare cases where I want to have them I change the keyboard layout in Windows (single click) and "poke around" or spellcheck will do the job or virtual keyboard.

Sure not good enough for long text.

äöü§ß°

Edited by KhunBENQ

I don't need the labels anyway, so in theory any keyboard which uses the same key layout as the German one would be fine

When comparing the German to the US/Thai layout, the difference is that the left shift key is split in half, thus the layout has one more key, and the Enter key has a different design which means the position of the # or \ key has a different position.

After having this looked up on Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Mechanical_layouts ) i'm now at least aware of what i'm actually looking for:

A keyboard with ISO key layout (any language), the Thai/US keyboards uses the ANSI key layout

I could probably adapt to an ANSI layout if it were the only layout which i would be using, but my laptop still has the ISO layout, and regularly using both will probably just be annoy me.

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think I read somewhere that keyboards sold in Thailand must have Thai characters.

I haven't read that, but yes, it's my experience.  I guess you can check the places that sell the outdated stuff, never know what you'll find (like the back of the top floor of Pranthip).

I have found a way around it.  One time some idiot (ahem!) spilled coffee on my laptop.  It was remedied by replacing the keyboard (I think it was a Toshiba, around 700b) and it was US English QWERTY only.

For an English-only USB keyboard you can pick them up in Malaysia on a visa run.

If you're technically inclined you can program your scan codes to near anything and put a sticky on the key you've reassigned.  It's been a long time since I did anything like that, so can't instruct, but I'm sure it's on the web somewhere.

Edited by bendejo