Drivers of polluting vehicles will be arrested, warns Prayut

webfact

Just spend a week in Rom Klao and Khum Klao roads in Bangkok and your fill six jails from pick upps diesels drivers and large fiesel transport lorrys! 100#%. Personnaly 6 weeks in prison with trucks and pick upps sold to pay for jail costs!!! may deter Thai drivers if the government gets tougth. Other than doing that "Thai" drivers will just keep driving

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he should be called big joke ?

On my short journey on Bangna Trad every week you would have to arrest 3 or 4 buses, same for trucks & numerous pick ups.

The police just turn a blind eye. Maybe get some Transport Dept vehicles on the road keeping an eye out

11 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The police just turn a blind eye. Maybe get some Transport Dept vehicles on the road keeping an eye out

Nobody's going to mess with the "untouchables" my understanding is a fixed sum is paid to the from the transport companies to the "COP" so they don't get stopped - appears to be working!

I can understand the need to prevent polluting cars, but usually its caused by faulty fuel pumps, BUT, where in Thailand can you find a proper Diesel Fuel Pump Service Centre, most garages can fiddle about with them, but they are rarely serviced properly, Injectors don't last forever.

I wish this could actually be done. But unfortunately in a World, where people go out on the street to protest every time something against their convenience is announced, and a way around the problem by lined up pockets on the sides of the streets (and many more reasons), this is very unlikely to happen.

It did happen once before 20 years ago, with an environmentalist in charge of Bangkok. Still remember lines of buses up Lat Phrao road being pulled on the side and exhaust analysed... many were still there the next day with mechanics working on them. But can Prayuth do it? When he was still head of the army, probably. Now... very unlikely.

Arrest? Why not just heavy fines? Like 20k

Wasn't there an app in BKK where you could report scooters driving on the footpath in BKK, and get a % of the fine? How's that going?

Like the farmers, these selfish drivers will keep poisoning people until there's consequences. Too many to lock up, just fine them.

The cops here in Chiang Mai are too busy stopping farrang for easy tea money.

Aha  not going to stop the buses or the tuk tuks are the thais burning there rubbish. 

I always get bemused when the electric car comment is made its the  only way for no air  pollution???  

Not in Asia? Considering 80% of power here is natural gas  and 20 %  coal fired power stations. Ok gas is 50 % gives  less pollution then coal.

So  as you drive you EV and feel eco friendly the  Smog and <deleted>  is just up country somewhere...

8 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

That doesn't bode well for tens of thousands of bus, taxi and songthaew drivers around the country, or is it more hot air coming from his mouth ?

Recently when i did my car registration on Koh Samui, my car was checked for engine emissions. Is this test not done throughout Thailand.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Absolutely correct, fit service exchange pumps and injectors , i was doing this in the UK 50 yrs ago but this is a job reserved for Thais only so doubt this is even possible in L O Smog

Even considering Thai labor as cheap, overhauling my Diesel pump of my Mitsu L 200 plus new nozzles is somewhere around 8,000 baht.

Most provinces have a Denso, or Bosch service fixing pumps, but who's got the money to do so?

Would the government know what they're doing, they could offer to pay part of it when owners finally go for the easy fix.

It would create new jobs, the air would be cleaner and one problem would be solved.

But what do soldiers know? We're discussing this on an open forum, why are we aware on how to solve this problem?

But no, they want to arrest the drivers? That's insanity at its best.

Very similar to the "it's sexy foreign girls in bikinis fault when they get raped." Not the rapist's.

Here we go again............

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Drivers of polluting vehicles will be arrested, warns Prayut

Then what???? 

Fined and released.... fines are achieving nothing except making some entities very rich.

vehicles need to be taken off the roads until fixed or scrapped !

The problem being where I live is police stop a smoke machine, relieve the driver of a few hundred baht then let them carry on.

Some say pollution is the problem.. in-correct

Police and corruption are the problem!!!

Yet another media soundbite that no one will pay attention to. 

These officials are so arrogant they seem to think that they can effect change from a simple announcement and nothing more. 

IF this were ever to take hold why charge the drivers? Most of the polluting vehicles are trucks and busses owned by the DLT or Industry, the drivers are low wage and can't possibly be held accountable for polluting vehicles - they'd lose their job if they refused to drive a vehicle belching out smoke etc.

As with many of Thailands Road woes and other half arsed announcement with the threat of a half measure will do nothing - its about time these 'people' [in positions of decision making power] took themselves seriously and effected real genuine improvements by instigating genuine penalties such as confiscation of vehicles, serious fines and not allowing confiscated vehicles back on the road until they have passed environmental test. 

Another point: IF Thailand was serious about handling road pollution they would eradicate the import tax on EV's and we would be able to buy the Tesla 3 for less than 1.3MB.

That doesn't bode well for tens of thousands of bus, taxi and songthaew drivers around the country, or is it more hot air coming from his mouth ?

This will be great if they also prosecute drivers with very loud exhausts, but I think we all know that any action will probably result in the odd 24 hour clampdown. This is Thailand.

I have a question for those that have come from nations with parliamentary rule.

Isn't PM just more of a figurehead than anything else? Do they manage parliamentary sessions in upper house?

I see this man issue edicts daily. Does the PM have the ability to utter pronouncements which turn into law at the drop of a hat? Of course there must be a law on the books about over polluters but this is just another random off the cuff remark. They are daily.

Nope, just more pollution. 

46 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Recently when i did my car registration on Koh Samui, my car was checked for engine emissions. Is this test not done throughout Thailand.

Brown envelopes over trump testing, don't you know the rules, yet? 

1 hour ago, banagan said:

Like the farmers, these selfish drivers will keep poisoning people until there's consequences. Too many to lock up, just fine them.

What's this got to do with farmers poisoning people.Which farmers are poisoning people?If you drive or are driven or participate in modern society you are just as guilty of poisoning people as anybody,you could also be accused of being a hypocrite.     

Archived