Is tourism in Thailand set to get worse before it gets better?

rooster59

32 minutes ago, CGW said:

they now have one of the strongest currency's in the world

it is floating and easily hedged - same principal as low priced stock market shares and penny stocks, they can be moved around with minimal capital but when get out of favour or Thailand decides to intervene in any big way will drop like a stone as capital exits

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

but when get out of favour or Thailand decides to intervene in any big way will drop like a stone as capital exits

I have been waiting many years now for it to "drop like a stone" somehow it has proven to be extremely resilient. nowhere else in the world could the main airport be closed down, in a country that "relies on tourism" yet have no effect on their currency, as an example.

When do you reckon this is going to happen, getting bored of waiting & having been proven consistently wrong

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cmsally said:

Not really that simple, Chinese tourists will be following Chinese investment, so as to fill Chinese pockets. I live in the main tourist area of Chiang Mai and every new investment is either Chinese building on land leased for 30 years or Chinese / Thai consortiums buying and building. Looking at the amount of money that is flowing in , I would doubt that Chiang mai will be left off the Chinese itineraries anytime in the near future.

Shame CM used to be such a nice place.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

I have been waiting many years now for it to "drop like a stone" somehow it has proven to be extremely resilient. nowhere else in the world could the main airport be closed down, in a country that "relies on tourism" yet have no effect on their currency, as an example.

When do you reckon this is going to happen, getting bored of waiting & having been proven consistently wrong

simple economics - strong baht is not good for Thailand, it is now hurting really bad and cannot continue - it now requires extreme intervention to get it under control - good governance over time is always best option - too late for that

33 minutes ago, Is this real said:

Tourism has greatly declined the last few years. 

It's not the Baht, or the sunken boat that has crippled tourism.

Thailand has shown, the past few years, that it no longer wants wester tourists or ex-pats.

Who?

They will go where they're welcomed.

Exactly what does Thailand offer a tourist that they can’t get from Vietnam, Cambodia, The Philippines, or elsewhere?

Beach experience and attractions?  No.

Inexpensive?  No.

Exotic food?  No.

Exotic climate?  No.

Exotic attractions?  No

A safe vacation?  No.

So, after one visit, why return?

Because the thai smile.

Most tourist do not come one time. Love thailand, come again and again. 

How many times you come already? 

Welcome to Thailand! 

D64887CE-F154-4152-99AA-6E9A8F9960EB.jpeg

Edited by Yinn
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well in our village main road area in Sukhothai province tourism must be getting better someone has just opened another Thai European restaurant.

Lose count of how many there are.

Yea with menu prices ten times more than what Thais pay. Sukhothai has turned into just another over rated tourist slum. I won,t be returning.

Used the limousine arrival service yesterday, not a very nice welcome to the country if a first time visitor. Had to race to keep up with the woman who met me whose only line of communication was to ask me if it was raining. As it turned out using this service was a waste as had to wait two and a half hours for the bags to show up on belt 20, and that was the exact time. Hoards of shouting screeching Chinese put on some amusement in the wait. I heard two couples waitng already saying they were never coming here again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I would like to nominate you as the next Minister for Tourism. TAT want to speak with you also. ????

The boss at TAT is famous for lying about the numbers in tourism. When some districts earlier this year said that reservations were down 30%, he said 2,7%. Go figure. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

when the Chinese get bored with coming the industry will collapse like Thomas Cook

There are A LOT of Chinese, it would take hundreds of years for a fraction to come but... its more likely China the way its going will only allow the "right" citizens to travel to designated places... Tier 1 get to travel to UK, USA etc T2 probably Asia T3 their nearest province etc

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, baansgr said:

There isn't a Thai smile anymore....constant rip offs, overcharging, rude and aggressive service has driven away many. Just about everybody in Thailand is out to rip you off from the moment of exiting the airport

Maybe your just a mark?

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, tabarin said:

One most live in denial to think this is the bottom, it will get way worse than this. Add on to that poor locals as of their debts + forced repayments soon.
We are not even done warming up yet, the real crisis has yet to begin.

"that poor locals as of their debts + forced repayments soon."

Did anyone force them to borrow money for exactly EVERYTHING?

If they can't borrow from the local bank,they go to loan sharks. Go figure. 

Many, many times over the last few years on the flight from London to Bangkok, I have been told by Western tourists that they are either connecting onwards immediately or next day. Where are they going? Mostly to Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos. More now going to Myanmar. Same goes for expats who are now going to Cambodia or Vietnam for the easier visas and lower costs. I don't see Thailand ever recovering unless there is a big change of attitude by Tat, government, immigration and improvement in hotels and resorts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Who?

Because the thai smile.

Most tourist do not come one time. Love thailand, come again and again. 

How many times you come already? 

Welcome to Thailand! 

D64887CE-F154-4152-99AA-6E9A8F9960EB.jpeg

I live here.

Tourism is declined because they're not coming back again.  For all the reasons I listed.

For you to ignore reality isn't going to solve the problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

when the Chinese get bored with coming the industry will collapse like Thomas Cook

Orton You back! Good

I worry you die already. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, cmsally said:

In the near future (maybe already) TAT will be driving numbers for its mostly out of country investors. You already have the situation where booking sites take 15 % or more before the tourist hits ground. That is a big percentage that never reaches the domestic economy. On top of that you have the Chinese investors and top level Thais that will keep most of the tourist dollar out of the local economy. Everything in the tourist sector at the moment points to the local economy being screwed. To assume that more tourists will lead to "the Thais" being wealthier is a completely misled opinion.

Spot on correct. Local small business owners (not just those involved) in tourism are all complaining about the economy and lack of trade. With little foreign inward investment, strong Baht and lack of wealthy tourists, the economy sucks for ordinary Thais. 

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

. Tour company like to recommend. Good package for tourist, free massage, free cocktail, free thai cooking class. People like it.

Yinn,

Can you be our 'farang' guardian angel?

• Haha 1

ARRIVALS are up. But the long stay western tourists are being replaced by 3-7 day Chinese and Indians. The Chinese tourists are plateauing, western tourists in slow decline, only india is a growth market - and they are notoriously careful with their money. These days also more people are doing several countries, and only stay a few days.

Pollution, litter, filthy water are all putting people off returning. Many resorts are seriously overcrowded - the infrastructure cannot cope. Too many hotels fighting for customers. Last couple of times I stayed at hotels occupancy was under 50%. The high baht and more cynical pricing in restaurants and other services is also putting people off.

So more arrivals, but QUALITY of the tourist experience is declining.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

Yinn,

Can you be our 'farang' guardian angel?

No, I am the witch.

But caucasion welcome to thailand. Not need angle.

Only some guy TVF think “Thailand” not want caucasions tourist.

More than 95% normal tourist have the lovely time.

The sex tourist is always will be lonely. Money not buy love. They always be scam. They believe it.

100 million + tourist coming in the next three years. Will be busy. We prepare now. Billions baht.

95 million people will love it.

Everybody welcome Thailand. Have a good time.

• Haha 2