Mother of a Thai child

Hi, 

What are the visa options for a French mother of a Thai child? No marriage but child is officially recognized by Thai father. I used to work in Thailand but not anymore, however I do plan on staying in the Kingdom for extended periods of time. If anyone has experience with this kind of situation, please let me know. I read about father/child but I guess it could be different for mother/child. 

Its not clear if the child lives with you outside Thailand or you would be visiting the child in Thailand ? Child has Thai passport ?

Edited by Peterw42

You are the legal mother of your child from birth. Foreign fathers of a child have to legalize their parenthood to be the legal father of their child.

You can get a single or multiple entry non-o visa at embassies and consulates. You will need their birth certificate and a copy of their house book registry to apply.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You are the legal mother of your child from birth. Foreign fathers of a child have to legalize their parenthood to be the legal father of their child.

You can get a single or multiple entry non-o visa at embassies and consulates. You will need their birth certificate and a copy of their house book registry to apply.

Out of interest would the procedure be similar if you were the legal adoptive parent of a Thai Child? Would the adoption give you (and I use the term loosely) the right to reside in Thailand on an appropriate visa

^Remember that foreign men and foreign women do not have the same rights under Thai immigration laws.  A foreign woman married to a Thai man does not have to show any money in the bank to get a 1 year extension.  She just needs to show that they are still married and living together (though my info is several years old and things may have changed since then)

I would think that a foreign mother will also have fewer requirements than a foreign father.

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

Out of interest would the procedure be similar if you were the legal adoptive parent of a Thai Child? Would the adoption give you (and I use the term loosely) the right to reside in Thailand on an appropriate visa

The police order for the required documents to apply for an extension of stay does mention "child adoption registration certificate". But there might be more proof needed by immigration. I don't recall any report of anybody doing it though.

5 hours ago, jonclark said:

Hopefully this wouldn't become something to be exploited by someone (and I use the term loosely ) only in order to get a long term stay.

On 10/7/2019 at 3:32 PM, Suradit69 said:

Hopefully this wouldn't become something to be exploited by someone (and I use the term loosely ) only in order to get a long term stay.

I want my child, who is Thai, to grow up in Thailand rather than in France. I am not married to his father and I have been the only one who has been attending to my child's needs. Do you consider this as exploiting? Your remark is offending Suradit. Now, I do not work presently and am able to sustain myself on the savings I have... The savings that are to be spent in Thailand for the Thai economy... It's not like I'll get money from Thai social system is it? I do want to avoid the tiresome tourist visa extensions and hussle, that would be great... So please, just think for a minute or 10 before you post a useless comment 

On 10/7/2019 at 10:59 AM, otherstuff1957 said:

^Remember that foreign men and foreign women do not have the same rights under Thai immigration laws.  A foreign woman married to a Thai man does not have to show any money in the bank to get a 1 year extension.  She just needs to show that they are still married and living together (though my info is several years old and things may have changed since then)

I would think that a foreign mother will also have fewer requirements than a foreign father.

Thanks but I'm not married to child's father as stated in my first post... 

On 10/7/2019 at 8:27 AM, Peterw42 said:

Its not clear if the child lives with you outside Thailand or you would be visiting the child in Thailand ? Child has Thai passport ?

It seems clear to me as I state that my child is Thai... He lives with me and we resided in Thailand most of the time, however I have been working overseas in the past couple of years and not working in Thailand now. I would like us to settle in Thailand as I believe that it is better. I'd like to know what visa options do I have beside the tourist visa

On 10/7/2019 at 8:53 AM, ubonjoe said:

Thank you, I will look into that

12 minutes ago, NainaThai said:

I want my child, who is Thai, to grow up in Thailand rather than in France. I am not married to his father and I have been the only one who has been attending to my child's needs. Do you consider this as exploiting? Your remark is offending Suradit. Now, I do not work presently and am able to sustain myself on the savings I have... The savings that are to be spent in Thailand for the Thai economy... It's not like I'll get money from Thai social system is it? I do want to avoid the tiresome tourist visa extensions and hussle, that would be great... So please, just think for a minute or 10 before you post a useless comment 

You are new to the forum, so maybe don't understand that Suradit69 was responding to the member's comments he quoted in his reply.

Nothing for you to be offended by.