OA extension and health insurance

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Nothing at all in the Police order to suggest foreign policies will be accepted.

There is this in a memo that was included in the announcement posted on the immigration website that does mention that health insurance can bought here can be used for 2nd year.

image.png.0b243881b5bbbef9f1e403577793c858.png

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is this in a memo that was included in the announcement posted on the immigration website that does mention that health insurance can bought here can be used for 2nd year.

Yes, which also suggests foreign policies not acceptable.

• Like 1

so does a "health insurance in Thailand" include foreign companies but purchased in Thailand?

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

so does a "health insurance in Thailand" include foreign companies but purchased in Thailand?

If it comes down to a list of approved companies, I am sorry to say I would expect a xenophobic approach! (Unless ........)

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, which also suggests foreign policies not acceptable.

It is not really clear what insurance will be accepted.

This is what the embassy in London has on their website about it.

"Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which has insurance coverage for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht. Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement."

my  question when  the 24 months on  the non-oa have been  used up. thus applying for the superceding non-oa do one need to present a foreign health insurance policy by a foreign insurance company, which must  be accredited by thai ministry ?? and where would i find it

in the poliice

wbr

roobaa01

31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

That page also includes a disclaimer that it is not an official site and cannot guarantee accuracy.

Nothing at all in the Police order to suggest foreign policies will be accepted.

The actual Immigration reg section 6 does specifically say only Thai policies purchased online thru the TGIA website...

And yet, on the TGIA website right now, there's also a PDF form from the Thai MoPH providing for the certification of O-A specific foreign insurance policies.... So it's clearly something that's intended to be part of the process....

Now, whether Immigration and MoPH are on the same page, who knows...

But I will also add, also contrary to the actual wording of the Immigration reg, Pacific Cross is now saying, as they've posted here on the forum yesterday, that ANY of their regular policies that meet the 400/40K coverage requirements will be accepted, not just the O-A crappy policies listed on the TGIA website. So that's already a departure from what section 6 actually says.

1464298707_2019-10-1211_27_33.jpg.0dde422c8ed0946009b1976ac0a3acd0.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Brer said:

The guy who posted on Facebook about his dealings with NK immigration must need insurance as he might have dementia he might have an overstay. He has two O/A’s over 7 years residency so with extensions it might give him a bit over 4 years stay. Does he really know what visa he is on?  His overseas visa sounds O/A then he could not possibly stay 7 years on 2 visas.

Did he really ask the right questions?

Did the IO really understand him.?

Or is it a bit of bull sheet by a stirrer?

Brer can you read ? Why is it not possible to stay here 7 years using 2 OA visas plus extensions ? You are making yourself sound like a fool.........and no he doesn't have dementia and knows exactly which visa he entered on and has previously obtained 1 year extensions based on retirement

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Pacific Cross is the company that constantly spams me with emails about buying a policy through them... desperately need customers maybe

That's odd... I'm a decade plus client of theirs, and I never get emails from them at all... unless I write to them first.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's odd... I'm a decade plus client of theirs, and I never get emails from them at all... unless I write to them first.

Could it be because they already signed you up...not a good policy by the way, maybe you'll find out one day

They've done right by me so far.... both on the claims side of things and on the business/premiums side of things as well.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You just have to read every page of the announcement posted on the immigration website.

In particular the last page where it states the procedures that only mentions enforcement when entering the country.

Yes, but nowhere does it say or imply that the new insurance requirement will only apply when entering on the basis of OA visas (and their extensions and the multiple reentry permits then issued) issued after 31st October. 

43 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not really clear what insurance will be accepted.

This is what the embassy in London has on their website about it.

"Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which has insurance coverage for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht. Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement."

But the police order seems to state the policy has to come from one of the companies listed on the longstay/tgia website?

28 minutes ago, rumbo1 said:

Brer can you read ? Why is it not possible to stay here 7 years using 2 OA visas plus extensions ? You are making yourself sound like a fool.........and no he doesn't have dementia and knows exactly which visa he entered on and has previously obtained 1 year extensions based on retirement

O/A on only good for one year if obtained from your home country then can obtain one year extra stay, can not have a further stay have to leave the country and get a new O/A or change to a Non O

The "guidelines" document for the O-A health insurance program on the TGIA website specifically says that foreign insurance policies, if they meet the required coverage amounts, WILL be accepted for the FIRST year.  That's why they have a PDF certification form on the website specifically for foreign insurance companies to fill out on your behalf.

It appears to me that the form will be difficult, if not impossible to complete. For example, the form requires signatures of two insurance company directors. Any idea how gets this accomplished?

Also, my insurance, as a US military retiree, has a lifetime, basically unlimited coverage with a front end deductible vs minimum inpatient and out patient coverage.

I travel on a non imm o-a multi entry visa and my hope that things will get sorted out before I need to deal with this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Immigration memo to officers, regarding existing O-A visas, talks about the trigger point being the date of entry into Thailand, not the date the O-A visa was issued.

So the way that read was, anyone wanting to enter Thailand on an O-A after Oct. 31 would be subject to the new insurance requirement, seemingly whether they got their visa in early November OR if they got it in early 2019 and are just now using it for their final visa entry.

By coincidence, I am departing the US on October 30 on a non imm o-a multi entry visa and will arrive in Bangkok on October 31.

I asked the LA Thai Consulate, where I bought this visa, what to do and expect and they assured me that the medical insurance requirement only affects those who apply for the visa after the October 30 date. It has nothing to do with my arrival date.

• Thanks 2

Just now, rumbo1 said:

Wrong an extension of stay based on marriage or retirement can be obtained. As far as i understand the OA returns to a non O when applying for an extension but this is where the confusion begins re health insurance. I think the new rules are only meant to apply when obtaining a new visa outside the country.

The problem is the io's interpretation of the upcoming change hence the original post of my friends visit to NK immigration for clarification before applying for his new extension again next month 

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

But the police order seems to state the policy has to come from one of the companies listed on the longstay/tgia website?

The MFA will set the requirements for the visa application.

The police order is only or entries to the Thailand using it. It appears for the first year they will look for a annotation on the visa sticker or near it stating the date the insurance ends.

All they will want is to see some proof a person has the insurance that meets the requirements after the first year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

It appears to me that the form will be difficult, if not impossible to complete. For example, the form requires signatures of two insurance company directors. Any idea how gets this accomplished?

Also, my insurance, as a US military retiree, has a lifetime, basically unlimited coverage with a front end deductible vs minimum inpatient and out patient coverage.

The whole issue of what this big mess is going to mean for O-A holders who have retired U.S. military health insurance is a known, and apparently as yet unresolved, issue....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The MFA will set the requirements for the visa application.

The police order is only or entries to the Thailand using it. It appears for the first year they will look for a annotation on the visa sticker or near it stating the date the insurance ends.

All they will want is to see some proof a person has the insurance that meets the requirements after the first year.

One thing I haven't seen ANY mention of in this whole mess thus far is what exactly a O-A visa holder is supposed to bring or show to Immigration as proof that they have an O-A compliant Thai policy????

Are the insurers going to issue some kind of certificate upon request?  Or just bring a copy of the policy itself and hope Immigration can figure out if it's from a participating Thai insurer and of the required coverage amounts?

For example, my Pacific Cross policy does have outpatient coverage, but it doesn't have a separate outpatient coverage limit. It's part of the same overall 5M THB total coverage amount.  So, an Immigration officer would have to take quite a bit of time and reading on my policy document to figure out those kinds of details, which I'm not sure they'd be inclined to do.

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One thing I haven't seen ANY mention of in this whole mess thus far is what exactly a O-A visa holder is supposed to bring or show to Immigration as proof that they have an O-A compliant Thai policy????

Are the insurers going to issue some kind of certificate upon request?  Or just bring a copy of the policy itself and hope Immigration can figure out if it's from a participating Thai insurer and of the required coverage amounts?

For example, my Pacific Cross policy does have outpatient coverage, but it doesn't have a separate outpatient coverage limit. It's part of the same overall 5M THB total coverage amount.  So, an Immigration officer would have to take quite a bit of time and reading on my policy document to figure out those kinds of details, which I'm not sure they'd be inclined to do.

for that u use the foreign insurance certificate form.

wbr

roobaa01

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For the first year they will apparently be looking for remarks on the visa put on it by the embassy that issued it according to the memo attached to the police orders.

Not sure what they will want to see for the 2nd year. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

I travel on a non imm o-a multi entry visa and my hope that things will get sorted out before I need to deal with this.

Who can possibly verify a director's signature? TI have heard of Photoshop and so I am certain they will never accept a foreign policy.

37 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

for that u use the foreign insurance certificate form.

wbr

roobaa01

It's a Thai policy from a participating Thai insurer... Not a foreign policy.

BTW, the same issue would arise even for someone buying a specific O-A policy listed on the TGIA website. What are they supposed to show to satisfy Immigration?

I think the specific companies listed on that website will be issuing some sort of catd or certificate. They were involved in development of this rule so certainly know all about it.

Greater concern is the very unclear situation for people with policies from companies other than those listed.

And indeed most policies, even if they include OPD, do not have a separate limit for it. Also the OPD cover of some policies is limited to specific things .... and for that matter the whole policy for some people excludes certain pre existing conditions.

One thing I am quite sure of is that TI is not going to attempt to wade through and interpret policy documents. They are going to want a simple 1 page form, card or letter of some sort. Likely some kind of standard wording will emerge as it has for the bank letters on foreign transfers. And I fear they coukd require it to be written in Thai.

I really hope the Thai based brokers are on this, as they would be the only likely avenue for getting what is needed from a foreign company if indeed policies from other than the companies listed on the tgia website will be acceoted at all.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I have a similar policy with Pacific Cross... does the outpatient entry have wording similar to "normal and customary"? I took that to mean essentially all charges up to overall policy limit.