2019 Income Requirements change

Amy Kat writes "I really hate when people conflate the definitions of stupid and ignorant ...and then get insulted when the word ignorant is used correctly and not as an insult, as Jingthing did."  Sorry but that's a very ignorant statement.  I hope you understand and are not offended Amy by my calling you ignorant. You don't mind if I call you ignorant right?  Do you like it?

Edited by JimmerJJ

If you're talking about participating in corruption (agents) then be advised you'll be in a legal grey area and you may find unpleasant consequences to that going forward. For example issues with address reports, being stuck using agents indefinitely, etc.   

Hey Jingthing, First off I check out the reputation of any attorneys I hire and do not use shady ones. Secondly  When I said an attorney having "pull" I think it is lost to you that many above board attorneys have some sway with Thai Immigration, you thinking otherwise is very naive, were you born yesterday?

No. You'll need to season the money or start over.

A legit lawyer can't make the seasoning requirement go away.

But like I said already a structured overstay may be possible to arrange.to meet the needed days.

An agent can make meeting all financial requirements go away except for the payoff.

You're tripping if you think otherwise.

Cheers.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

Amy Kat writes "I really hate when people conflate the definitions of stupid and ignorant ...and then get insulted when the word ignorant is used correctly and not as an insult, as Jingthing did."  Sorry but that's a very ignorant statement.  I hope you understand and are not offended Amy by my calling you ignorant. You don't mind if I call you ignorant right?  Do you like it?
You're a pistol.
Good luck with your extension.
Byesies.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hi Bert M, thank you,  I was going to make an appointment for US Consulate to do a certified true copy but they are booked up for October so it is a great help if I can open an account at KBank or Krungsri without that certification.  I think that Thai Immigration will give me some latitude if I am a few days short on the 60 day requirement given that rules have changed.  Thanks

Use an agent to help, advise and support you. The head of IO has the authority to grant you your needs as they can legitimatly waive requirements in some cases. You seem to have a legitimate case. The agent functions as the intermediary. They and the IO will also help with opening a bank account, processing all documents, and expediting the whole process smoothly. Then next year you can deal with the matter as you wish.

Edited by sunnyboy2018
  • Like 1

Thank you Sonny that is precisely, exactly what I am thinking. ????????????

"Use an agent to help, advise and support you. The head of IO has the authority to grant you your needs as they can legitimatly waive requirements in some cases. You seem to have a legitimate case. The agent functions as the intermediary. They and the IO will also help with opening a bank account, processing all documents, and expediting the whole process smoothly. Then next year you can deal with the matter as you wish."

1 hour ago, JimmerJJ said:

Why don’t you Google “ignorance of the law” quotes and see what you find out?  Then change your avatar name to Mr. Smarty Pants so we will know who we are dealing with, okay?

And I can get online Statements of Monthly Income from Social Security, Federal civil service retirement, military retirement, and also a retirement form a private company plus my investments.

Well, your income is likely triple mine, you can easily pay an agent.

800,000 baht in a Thai bank is preferable though

USA banks to prove my income plus the notarized Income verification letter from US Consulate.

I have never done it that way, but only on my second year full time here.

I just keep 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.

It seems odd to me. Thought the Thai government wanted to verify expats deposited money here in a Thai bank to help fund banks and make sure you spend that baht here during your yearly extensions. 

30 minutes ago, JimmerJJ said:

I guess some Thai banks have a Passport true copy requirement and others don't and it varies?   My USA retirement incomes come to about 140,000 baht a month and 500K in savings so I hope I can find someone to help me.

I private messaged you with the agency I use in Bangkok. It's against forum rules to post those details on open forum. You should think about letting O-A expire and then get a Non O visa for 90 days and then get 1 year extension based on retirement. That way, you won't get caught in the insurance issue. The agency can certainly help with opening the bank account and take care of the new Non O visa & 1 year extension. Wish you luck...

Edited by BertM

Well thanks to all for your help.  I think I am amply prepared to buy myself out of this predicament if necessary. I was just hoping Thai Immigration had some understanding that not everyone is glued to their website about changes.  Fingers crossed.

Fishtank, in my passport the stamp says "Extension of stay permitted up to 20 Dec 2019"
That is not the same as the Visa expiring 20 December. When does the Visa expire? If the original Visa is still in effect you could leave and return prior to 31 October and get a new 12 month extension of stay without insurance.

If the visa itself has expired then no recourse but to do an in country extension. 800k seasoned for 2 months but some Imm offices insist on 3. Note that you can't spend any of it for 3 months afterward and then cannot let the balance drop below 400k at anytime and will have to top off back to 800 3 months before next extension. If you can afford it, simpler to just park the 800k continuously in a fixed account.

You may be required to also have one of these Immigration specified health insurance policies to do an extension of stay on an O-A visa though this point is not yet clear.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JimmerJJ said:

I guess some Thai banks have a Passport true copy requirement and others don't and it varies?   My USA retirement incomes come to about 140,000 baht a month and 500K in savings so I hope I can find someone to help me.

I just opened both a baht account and a foreign currency account today. You don't need a certified copy of your passport. Bank personnel will tell you all sorts of wrong info. I went to 5 banks ( 3 Bangkok branches, 1 Kasikorn and 1 other). 3 locations claimed I needed a work permit. Again, that is wrong. Look at the website of the bank you want to use. It has the details and you will need to show them the info from your phone.

Here is what you can do. First go to Bangkok bank website. Find the requirements for a foreigner to open an account.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

When they all wanted an embassy reference letter I showed them the list and had both a social security benefit letter and bank statements from the US. The baht account was issued at the Sukhumvit 43 location and then I went to BB HQ on Silom to get the foreign currency account. If you go the foreign currency route, you need to have $1,000 USD or Thai Baht equivalent to open the account.

Edited by JerseytoBKK

Hi Jersey to BKK,  Thanks for your info. It is very helpful! Especially knowing that BKK banks have different polices/requirements to open an account. I thought, (wrongly), that every Thai bank had the same requirements dictated by the government.  I guess I will go bankshopping  ????  Cheers 

The different banks have different policies but the personnel in the branches will also vary widely on their knowledge of their own policies. I also had my annual condo lease and the TM30 that my landlord submitted for me when I moved to this location last month, but the latter really confused them. It really is important to be able to show them their official policy as listed on their website.

If you go the foreign currency route, I suggest you bring in more than the minimum to cover currency fluctuations. I brought in $30K plus the initial deposit of $1K so even if the USD drops to 28 I'm still covered.

Edited by JerseytoBKK

Mosan says Are you really on a Non Immigrant O-A, or are you on an "Extension of Stay"?  Also I'm guessing you've heard about the new regulations coming into effect on the 31st of October concerning O-A visas and needing health insurance...

Hi Mosan,  Yes I said above that I am on a Non-Imm OA Retirement Visa (I've been living here in Bangkok for almost 5 years)  on a Retirement Visa,  I appreciate your input and help.  I pay every month into a health insurance plan plus on top of that I have 100% USA government health insurance because of my military incurred disabilities.  That said I would like to know more information that you or anyone here has about new health requirements for those on 'Retirement Visa' Non-Imm OA, thank you.

6 hours ago, fishtank said:

The requirement is 2 months before application.

That is fact so don't worry.

I just renewed my retirement visa and my IMM require 3 month and have to bring the original bankbook updated with an extra confirmation letter from the bank.

I just park the money the whole year and get the interest out when I go to the bank for that confirmation letter. That also will show some movement on the bank book.

For me the easiest way to get a one year visa, married or not

Best Regards

Michael

Hi ChouDoFu, I know that it's almost impossible for me to get a certified true copy of my passport on this upcoming holiday weekend.    On your 2nd question, yes I have tried to apply for an account at a major Thai bank (Bangkok Bank) but they said I needed a certified true copy of my passport. But I will try the other Thai banks as you suggest.  Thank you for your very helpful info.

ChouDoufu

Hi MayPutThai, Thanks that's what I plan to do now is just park the requirement money in a Thai bank account and not use it just let it sit and draw a little interest and then use it year after year to renew my Retirement Visa.  In past years I just used statements from my US Banks and a notarized affidavit letter from US Consulate but now unfortunately the Bangkok US Consulate will no longer provide that income affidavit letter. Thanks for your input.

Terminology is important.  It sounds as though you are presently on one of a series of one-year extensions that you have received based on extending an original O-A retirement visa.  If true, you are no longer on an O-A visa.  Your visa was cancelled when you obtained your first extension.  If, on the other hand, you are still on your original O-A visa which will expire on December 20th, you could leave and return before the visa (not extension) expires and gain an additional year's permission to stay.  So it is important to determine (and say) whether you are on your original O-A Visa or an extension of stay.

That being said, assuming that you are on an extension of stay, you have the option of putting your 800,000 into the bank less than two months before the expiration of your permission to stay, flying out to a nearby country and returning on a thirty-day visa waiver, applying for a 90-day Non-O around the fifteenth day, then converting to a one-year permission to stay around the seventy-fifth day, neatly avoiding the current health insurance requirement attached to O-A visas.  

I'm not sure that requesting and paying the fine for a certain number of days of overstay to meet the two-month cash in the bank period would free you from the health insurance requirement associated with your original O-A Visa.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck!

• Like 1

The bank shopping sounds good. There are 2 Bangkok banks close, one on suk soi11, and one on suk otherside of the road. 

I think you should take something with your thai address on, condo lease or bills. And most importantly stress that if they open it straightaway you will be depositing 800,000 baht on it. Tempting. 

Soi 11 speak English. 

Good suggestion from before is also taking the website info. 

Good luck. 

6 hours ago, MayPutThai said:

I just renewed my retirement visa and my IMM require 3 month and have to bring the original bankbook updated with an extra confirmation letter from the bank.

I just park the money the whole year and get the interest out when I go to the bank for that confirmation letter. That also will show some movement on the bank book.

For me the easiest way to get a one year visa, married or not

Best Regards

Michael

You don't have a Retirement Visa and the requirement in the police order is 2 months in the bank for everyone.

14 hours ago, JimmerJJ said:

Hi Fishtank thanks.  2 months prior would be Oct 20 so will be cutting it close for me because I went to a Thai bank today and they want a certified true copy of my passport that I'll try to get done on this holiday weekend, plus I will need a few business days for my USA bank to transfer about $27,000 to my new Thai bank account.  Since this is a new change that's why I am asking if they are sticklers (buy the book) or does the Thai Immigration officer that does my renewal have any discretion to waive the 2 month requirement.

Sure they will waive the two month requirement if you go through an agent. Ortherwise why would they? 

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If you're talking about participating in corruption (agents) then be advised you'll be in a legal grey area and you may find unpleasant consequences to that going forward. For example issues with address reports, being stuck using agents indefinitely, etc.

Not sure how this would be a concern.

Toss your 800k THB in a 5 year high yield CD in your home country.

My average agent fees over the last 8 years have been less than 20,000 THB per year, and from my CD on 800k THB i get around 17,000 THB a year. All-in-all I probably pay less than 5,000 THB a year, and don't need to worry about anything.

You are right though, you will have trouble going from Agent visa to Self-supported visa unless you apply for your O-A visa again in your home country, and go through that whole process again.

I am using Thai Visa Centre, and paid 14,000 THB for the 12 month extension very recently.