Vegan, healthy processed food seen as engine for economic growth

Vegan, healthy processed food seen as engine for economic growth

By The Nation

With people the world over moving away from meat to vegetable-based diets, the Office of Industrial Economics (OIE) sees endless possibilities for Thailand’s food-processing industry to become a new engine of growth and take its place as one of the nation’s 10 S-curve industries, according to Ittichai Yotsri, OIE’s deputy director-general.

OIE aims to enhance productivity and upgrade quality commodities to premium products and has put its Food Intelligence Centre to work in examining every aspect of the food industry.

The Office has also established guidelines for vegan food development to support the food industry, noting that even fast food joints such as Burger King, McDonald’s and KFC have turned to healthier options and released vegan products such as meatless burgers and vegetarian fried chicken. Kellogg Unilever and Nestlé are also coming out with new products to satisfy the taste buds of consumers. The vegan food market has grown rapidly in recent years, with non-meat eaters in the US and Europe increasing from 2 million in 2014 to 20 million in 2018 with the resultant rise in sales.

Thai businessmen and exporters should not overlook this trend, Ittichai said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30377239

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-12

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

If its processed it aint vegan. Its the same old mass produced industrial garbage pandering to faddish ignorance. What next? Vegan Vapes?

Lots of vegan food is processed <deleted> and not healthy. Just look the ingredients for the impossible burger. 

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

"Kellogg Unilever and Nestlé" ...the ones that persuaded generations that salt and red meat was at the root of diabetes and heart diseases and not sugar and carbs, the ones who are using the same techniques as the tobacco lobby (Kellogg Unilever and Nestlé). 

We fussing over the inappropriate usage of  weed killers etc, but these are the guys that are doing major harm to health all over the world.

14 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Excellent news, just means our breakfasts will have to absorb all the meat the Vegans wont eat

MENSHmonsterbreak3BB35_6082950.jpg

Go ahead. But don't expect to live long enough though, before a heart disease strikes. Bacon is one of the worst processed unhealthy meats on the planet, as are any other factory processed meat products. 

1 hour ago, cooked said:

"Kellogg Unilever and Nestlé" ...the ones that persuaded generations that salt and red meat was at the root of diabetes and heart diseases and not sugar and carbs, the ones who are using the same techniques as the tobacco lobby (Kellogg Unilever and Nestlé). 

We fussing over the inappropriate usage of  weed killers etc, but these are the guys that are doing major harm to health all over the world.

Yes, the USA has a lot to answer for by permitting the food industry giants to dictate to congress what people consume. it's all about money, the bottom line. Add Coca-Cola and Pepsi to that list, plus the manipulating dairy industry, whose products are toxic - in the long term to health.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

vegetarian fried chicken.

Quite the oxymoron!

Love to see tourists and others at KFC and McDonalds in Pattaya, a true gastronomic oxymoron.

And the prices are out of this world IMO, but of course costs more for the A/C and ambiance 555

People think eating a fillet of fish sandwich from a fast food joint is "healthy" because it is fish - untrue

This will be an excellent economic boost for 7-11, KFC and other fast food outlets.  

10 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Go ahead. But don't expect to live long enough though, before a heart disease strikes. Bacon is one of the worst processed unhealthy meats on the planet, as are any other factory processed meat products. 

I make my own bacon, I only use table salt and wood smoke. 

8 minutes ago, neeray said:

For me, the word "processed" conjures up thoughts of wieners, sausages, canned meat, salami, pre-packaged meat slices .................

I miss SPAM!  In the small state of Hawaii, 7 million cans are consumed each year

21 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

What they sell in grocery store is not bacon. 

This is bacon: https://www.theaccidentalbutcher.com/product/67007/wood-smoked-sugar-free-bacon-frozen

41 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

You think eating by Thai grown vegetables you will live longer than eating English breakfasts ? I'd say its probably 50/50

That's why I pay a little more and buy organic, pesticide free vegetables in Thailand. In which case, yes I would live longer than even contemplating eating an English breakfast that stresses me out and shortens my lifespan even thinking about it.

6 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

That's why I pay a little more and buy organic, pesticide free vegetables in Thailand. In which case, yes I would live longer than even contemplating eating an English breakfast that stresses me out and shortens my lifespan even thinking about it.

Organic certification has been proven unreliable in Thailand by laboratory analysis. My inlaw told me he did not use chemicals pesticide then I saw him spray synthetic pyrethrine a couple months later (neurotoxic to human). I grow my own vegetable that's the only thing that is reliable. 

51 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

What they sell in grocery store is not bacon. 

This is bacon: https://www.theaccidentalbutcher.com/product/67007/wood-smoked-sugar-free-bacon-frozen

I agree that is making the best out of a meat product. We are all different - require separate nutrition regimes - go ahead, but bear in mind regular meat-eating is scientifically proven to be a health risk, particularly in relation to arterial heart disease.

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

I agree that is making the best out of a meat product. We are all different - require separate nutrition regimes - go ahead, but bear in mind regular meat-eating is scientifically proven to be a health risk, particularly in relation to arterial heart disease.

Not really. There is contradicting study on both side and a lot of vegan hype lately. The problem I see is that most food sold is low quality. 

1 minute ago, Tayaout said:

Organic certification has been proven unreliable in Thailand by laboratory analysis. My inlaw told me he did not use chemicals pesticide then I saw him spray synthetic pyrethrine a couple months later (neurotoxic to human). I grow my own vegetable that's the only thing that is reliable. 

Same the world over, except the EU and UK have a far more restricted regime over the use of pesticides etc. Not that it decreases obesity, diabetes, heart disease or cancer. 

25 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Link please?

He explains better than me. Personally, I feel better on a meat based diet. If you feel better on a plant based or low meat diet then you should not stop. I was vegetarian for 3 years so at least I can say I try many things ????

11 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

He explains better than me. Personally, I feel better on a meat based diet. If you feel better on a plant based or low meat diet then you should not stop. I was vegetarian for 3 years so at least I can say I try many things ????

Interesting, albeit he does rabbit on about soy which is the main consumption in rural asian countries, which have a very low heart and cancer deaths. Thanks for the link. 

46 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Interesting, albeit he does rabbit on about soy which is the main consumption in rural asian countries, which have a very low heart and cancer deaths. Thanks for the link. 

I don't know if it's because he's from the US. In the US most soy is GMO and is sprayed with pesticide.

Most rural Asian culture traditionally eat more non-processed food that they grow themselves vs the US.

There is also some fear about phytoestrogen in soy that might have a negative impact on men health's but I also saw study that said it has no impact...

Archived