Cassava farmers protest Paraquat ban

webfact

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think i've had a fair say on this subject????

The thing is there so many bad things which we use daily that are not subject to this kind of harassment.

Everyone who comments on here does something,somewhere to contribute to their grave.

Being using a product from a mineral dug out of the ground or  gas emissions to using electricity.

Everybody has different priorities,for me i'd like to keep the chemicals,used in moderation and ban mobile phones.There a sickness on society far greater than paraquat will ever be.   

25 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Why don't you try drinking some then?

how ridiculous  you  look

Pure paraquat, when ingested, is highly toxic to mammals, including humans, potentially leading to acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Although there are no specific antidotes, fuller's earth or activated charcoal is an effective treatment if taken in time. There have been some successful cases of using cyclophosphamide to treat paraquat poisoning.[28] Oxygen should not be administered unless SpO2 levels are below 92%, as high concentrations of oxygen intensify the toxic effects.[29][30] Death may occur up to 30 days after ingestion. Diluted paraquat used for spraying is less toxic; thus, the greatest risk of accidental poisoning is during mixing and loading paraquat for use.[10]

2 hours ago, Chazar said:

do YOU have any idea how difficult it is to get ANYONE to actually work on the land?any idea at all?

Nope, but that can not stand as a reason or excuse to keep using chemicals in farming that kills people.

2 hours ago, farmerjo said:

So you could not come up with a figure then.

Nope, but that can not stand as a reason or excuse to keep using chemicals in farming that kills people.

18 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Nope, but that can not stand as a reason or excuse to keep using chemicals in farming that kills people.

Nope, but that can not stand as a reason or excuse to keep using chemicals in farming that kills people.

It can stand as reason,you clearly no nothing about agriculture.

When you can come back with a cost for affected farmers you may of learnt something.

7 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

It can stand as reason,you clearly no nothing about agriculture.

When you can come back with a cost for affected farmers you may of learnt something.

Tell me how it has been possible in many other places but not in Thailand.

If there is a cost, then it has to be. Just because something gets a little bit higher price, is not a reason to endanger peoples health. After that you can talk economy as much as you wish. You can never be right if you chose money over health.

3 hours ago, Chazar said:

do YOU have any idea how difficult it is to get ANYONE to actually work on the land?any idea at all?

That is true to an increasing degree. Even  owner croppers would prefer the convenience of chemical application. The  majority  are not at all interested in even using the free soil testing services  available because they think they  already "understand" their land. Herbicides, insecticides  and   cheap and nasty "fertilizers" applied copiously and often  unnecessary. Productivity on Thai  soil  has decreased incrementally per rai in spite of. And probably in part because of.

21 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Tell me how it has been possible in many other places but not in Thailand.

Well it doesn't snow in Thailand,soils are different etc,etc

Your missing the point with the cost,it could be the difference of being viable or not.

How many people do you know that have had their health endangered from this terrible chemical. 

38 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

It is not the use in farming that  kills. It is the misuse and  abuse that has  vilified  Paraquat .

If consumers were happy to bear the cost  of food  production by labour intensive  means then all  good!

Yet despite that  may increase  rural agricultural employment and rural economic  turnover it  would be unlikely to be of financial benefit to the farmer  employers. As it already is  the  middle man would  simply keep taking the easy profit  sitting behind a desk while the  farmer would see  more money  simply passed through their  hands.

Farmers  may indeed  have become lazier in practice  but  that is likely to be  because they have come to  recognize the fact that if they work their  butts off  it  gets them  no more significant reward.

7 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Well it doesn't snow in Thailand,soils are different etc,etc

Your missing the point with the cost,it could be the difference of being viable or not.

How many people do you know that have had their health endangered from this terrible chemical. 

Viable or not, can not be put in the same sentence as safety and health.

Since when odes it matter how many persons I personally know that have been affected?

Ask yourself why other countries already banned these chemicals many years ago? It was surely not because they had enough snow or other soils and definately not for the reason of etc. etc. It was purely because the danger they pose to human health and life.

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Since when odes it matter how many persons I personally know that have been affected?

Ask yourself why other countries already banned these chemicals many years ago? It was surely not because they had enough snow or other soils and definately not for the reason of etc. etc. It was purely because the danger they pose to human health and life.

No it was because of ill informed people like yourself thinking your doing the world a favour.

2 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

No it was because of ill informed people like yourself thinking your doing the world a favour.

Yep, okey! We leave it with that. All people that want to ban it in Thailand are wrong and ill informed. All countries in the world that have already banned it, was and are ill informed. I am ill informed. You, on the other hand. Hell yeah, you are the only one that is right.

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yep, okey! We leave it with that. All people that want to ban it in Thailand are wrong and ill informed. All countries in the world that have already banned it, was and are ill informed. I am ill informed. You, on the other hand. Hell yeah, you are the only one that is right.

You did not bring one bit of substance here to the article in facts.

My plants are growing and need oxygen to thrive and your taking that away from them.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

The problem is that if you allow some farmers to use it for this crop it will be used for other crops too in an unsafe way. Unless you think that this wont happen an government checks would be able to prevent this. The only way is to ban it otherwise it will get used for other crops too. That is just the way it is. 

Paraquat is used mainly as a weedkiller in cassava ,and as a pre-emergent weedkiller with attrazin in maize crops ,and that is about it ,if used on other crops it will more than likely kill the crop .

FYI ,some years ago I worked for a landscape gardening company ,one job the firm did was marking out a football pitch ,paraquat was used to initially kill the grass off before painting on the white lines,never heard  of any footballers getting cancer from sliding about football pitches ,and I would say it would have been used on rugby pitches in the past , even more sliding about ,and they say it can be carcinogenic. 

2 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

You did not bring one bit of substance here to the article in facts.

My plants are growing and need oxygen to thrive and your taking that away from them.

Ever heard of organic farming? If the soil is to bad, so that it´s needed to use dangerous chemicals to produce. Yeah, then its time to plant something that can grow without that beeing added. You also do not know what this poison is doing to the air, earth and water. We must all help to preserve the planet and the people for future generations and create sustainability as well as sustainable living.

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

Ever heard of organic farming? If the soil is to bad, so that it´s needed to use dangerous chemicals to produce. Yeah, then its time to plant something that can grow without that beeing added. You also do not know what this poison is doing to the air, earth and water. We must all help to preserve the planet and the people for future generations and create sustainability as well as sustainable living.

I'm a no-till farmer here.

Organic but not in the way you know it.

1 minute ago, farmerjo said:

I'm a no-till farmer here.

Organic but not in the way you know it.

What? You do know that it is a world standard for organic farming? You can not create you own thing and call it organic farming.

This leads nowhere. I take it as you do not have a clue if it is affecting people, the natural food chain or air, water and earth?

Probably you do not care about sustainability either, and only about your way of easy work that makes you the profit you need.

Whatever, have a great farm week. Bye.

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

What? You do know that it is a world standard for organic farming? You can not create you own thing and call it organic farming.

This leads nowhere. I take it as you do not have a clue if it is affecting people, the natural food chain or air, water and earth?

Probably you do not care about sustainability either, and only about your way of easy work that makes you the profit you need.

Whatever, have a great farm week. Bye.

Organic is improving your soil,that's where you have organic matter break down to make your soil well organic.

You must of been misled by the thousands who crumble there soil to a pulp till its worthless but don't use chemicals. and call their food organic.

Live for the future hey.

29 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

It was banned it other  country's becose they was alliterative ,round up .Glyphosate  was used to desiccate  crops ,mainly in Canola/Oil seed rape ,I use to work on a large arable farm no paraquat was used ,the reason was it was not needed ,

It is used on cassava because it they are no alternatives ,Ok in our country they might be but the cost of importing that chemical in to Thailand and the import tax ,would make it to expensive to use ,and remember Thailand dose not have CAP the EU subsidiaries and the USA farm subsidies that help all farmers .

And before any one says about The Thai government subsiding rice farmers they do not use any paraquat ,or very littal 

10 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Christ Im seeing the  full wrath of a  fruitcake..................so no staff = dont grow  food ok,  good  plan.

Archived