Warning: UK passport validity - Brexit may shorten yours

You are advised to check the date that your passport expires.  You used to be able to get more than ten years life on a UK passport by renewing it early.  Now, they are strictly limiting it to exactly ten years maximum.  After Brexit this will be checked and you won't be allowed to board a plane if you're not in the 'window' the passport is valid.  The 'Date of expiry' doesn't necessarily mean what it says!

To check your UK passport, see here:  https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/check-a-passport

Thanks for the reminder, yes mine is one of the "get an extra 9 months if you renew early" passports.

Note that it is only countries in Europe which are affected (the list is on the linked website) so you should have no problem with the rest of the known universe.

19 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

So it is actually valid for LESS than the 10 years.

Six month validity required by the destination country on entry?

10 years would put you to July 2028 - 6 months gives January 2028.

In the past I never worried about passports expiring, they always ended up full long before. Now with a more relaxed lifestyle I must keep an eye on these things.

The validity is nothing to do with Brexit, despite the headline.

A British passport is valid until the expiry date - always has been. The 'up to 9 months unexpired term added', was a feature that was lost last year.

Several countries have often required 6 months validity on the passport, this is not new.... e.g. Cambodia.

A passport and visa are required. Tourists and business travelers may purchase a Cambodian visa valid for one month at the airports in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap and borders. Both require a passport valid for at least six (6) months from the expiry date, 01 recent passport-sized photo. 

30 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Interesting. I used that link. I put a bogus travel date of after Oct 31 2019. Passport issued last year in July 2018. Passport expires in Dec 2028.  It shows travel validity January 2028 (if no deal). So it is actually valid for LESS than the 10 years.

Just to clarify, your passport is still valid until its expiry date of December 2028, the only change is that for travel to countries in the Schengen Area travellers UK passport join other non EU countries who must have six months validity remaining on their passports when they enter the Area.
This will be effective immediatelty if we crash out with no deal and maybe even with one, but we knew this when we voted to leave the EU.

As Crossy has indicated the six month requirement various from country to country, for instance the US has this requirement but Australia doesn't, some carriers impose this "rule'' to protect themselves. 

8 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The validity is nothing to do with Brexit, despite the headline.

No, but the required validity now required to enter Schengen is, as is the fact that our wives will now need to meet the full requirements for a visa as they're no longer eligible for a visa under the Free Movement Directive, but we can't complain as that's what we voted for.

53 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

No, but the required validity now required to enter Schengen is, as is the fact that our wives will now need to meet the full requirements for a visa as they're no longer eligible for a visa under the Free Movement Directive, but we can't complain as that's what we voted for.

Indeed.

.... and not being married, my situation is unchanged.

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

My passport expires 19th June 2025 so appears I have lost 15 months, in event of no deal Brexit, if I want to travel to Europe

You're like me, you renewed your passport about nine months early so it shows a validity time of ten years and nine months. For the affected countries they will only accept a validity of ten years so we lose those 'free' nine months at the end. Because those countries also require your passport to be valid for six months when you enter the country  you 'lose' fifteen months on your expiry date to enter those countries.

It could cause a problem for me. I am planning to go back to the UK in March next year to visit family, straight after I have renewed my yearly extension (due 19-03-2020). My passport actually expires on 22-03-2021 so I can just get the twelve month extension date first. 

But my Passport's European validity expires 22-12-2019, in just two months time, so will have expired before I go home in March. Does this mean I won't be able to travel using a European Airline such as Air France because my passport will have expired when I stop over in Paris during the journey?

Archived