The Thailand of today.

swissie

I don't really care if everybody around me is on 'easy street', as I will be there too, unfortunately we will still have the inconvenience of harvesting the rice crop, and other menial tasks, to help us along, but it will be fun ????

I know people who have worked at companies for 30 or 40 years, feel they have made friends and been useful. Once they step out of the door nobody is interested or contacts them. 30 or 40 years of pure illusion - then what? a burst of reality in Thailand because everybody does not need to be over polite or be their 'friend'

• Like 2

its going to take an awful lot of time for surrounding

nations to semi catch up, and for sure im going to be dead

if and when cambodia ever catches up somewhat.

agree thai economy is doing exceptionally well,

its overall not cheaper here then home now.

still warm here tho, and i find thais as social and easy going as ever, but have to note with displeasure

that the young A rated lasses doesnt even register me

on their radar

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, swissie said:

"long-term Farangs" have become "unnecessary" (financially and otherwise).

And why were we "necessary" 20 - 40 years ago?  As teachers? Bar owners? 

I believe tourism has always been more "necessary" to Thailand as it is in most countries.

Again, tourism accounts for around 12% of GDP, expats around 0.02% GDP  

4 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Seventeen years ago, my ex-neighbor, a now-retired female teacher who calls me her younger brother, was glad to see foreigners and have a chat with them. 

Have become acquainted with many interesting foreigners living at our condo complex during the last year. (Newbie, I know)  They all seem positive, friendly, and well adjusted. 

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Thailand is developing with massive, massive inequality, and someone needs to be blamed for that. And, as seen in time immemorial, it is always the "Other".

According to an online search, Thailand is not among the top 15 countries with the greatest gaps between rich and poor.  But i agree the number of poor are likely growing in LOS, but is also occurring globally.

• Confused 3

On 10/20/2019 at 8:48 AM, Isaanbiker said:

Before Thaksin's war on drugs, you could

buy 24/7 companionship for …………. plus a little bar fine. 

Specifics can't be posted on TVF so I deleted the amount, though I think you remember wrong decade. Perhaps in Nakhon Nowhere, but even in Pattaya it was more than that, and in Bkk way more before Thaksin appeared on scene.

On 10/20/2019 at 1:49 AM, swissie said:

As the "Patriotic-Element" in Western-Societies" is waning, an extreme "Patriotic-Element" is alive and well in Thailand. As every Farang having lived in Thailand for any lenght of time will freely confirm.

I live and work here since 20 years and I can't confirm such element.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You must be born lucky. I've had multitudes of problems in LOS with Thai people from con men to the travel agent wouldn't let my THAI GF on a bus.

I've been insulted, ignored, gossiped about, exploited, treated like dirt, ripped off, had rockets fired at me, been abandoned at railway stations, lied to, had food poisoning from an expensive restaurant, severely injured by an idiot m'bike rider, nearly killed more times that I can remember while driving, property stolen by relatives, not had loans repaid, never thanked for anything I did to help relatives. I'm sure there are more but that's enough to be going on.

Sadly, that's pretty normal in my life, wherever I am. 

Looking at your last sentence: Did you every think about what YOU do wrong in your life?

I am sure at some stage in my life someone insulted me, someone ignored me and probably some people gossiped about me. I guess it's impossible to go through life without any of this happening from time to time. But do I care? No! It's like a dog barking at me. Who cares?

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Looking at your last sentence: Did you every think about what YOU do wrong in your life?

I am sure at some stage in my life someone insulted me, someone ignored me and probably some people gossiped about me. I guess it's impossible to go through life without any of this happening from time to time. But do I care? No! It's like a dog barking at me. Who cares?

Of course, but in the end, I reckon I was born unlucky. The bad luck started when I was 4, so hardly old enough to be a bad person by then.

You may disagree, but some are born lucky or unlucky.

My biggest flaw was that I trusted the wrong people too much, and didn't work that out till way too late.

From the problems you detail you haven't had anything really bad happen to you. I have, from sibling death too young, to losing everything at 35 and having to start from scratch, to cancer.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was responding to One More Farang. What's your point, or do you enjoy just coming on to say pointless things.

Just asking if it may have been you. There is your valid point.

Welcome.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You must be born lucky. I've had multitudes of problems in LOS with Thai people from con men to the travel agent wouldn't let my THAI GF on a bus.

I've been insulted, ignored, gossiped about, exploited, treated like dirt, ripped off, had rockets fired at me, been abandoned at railway stations, lied to, had food poisoning from an expensive restaurant, severely injured by an idiot m'bike rider, nearly killed more times that I can remember while driving, property stolen by relatives, not had loans repaid, never thanked for anything I did to help relatives. I'm sure there are more but that's enough to be going on.

Sadly, that's pretty normal in my life, wherever I am. 

I have some advice,one from the great band Crowded House 'everywhere you go,you alway's take the weather with you" the second part is "Better call Saul"