Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Johnson faces perilous Brexit ratification after deal vote blocked

webfact

11 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

there doesn’t have to be such right because there’s no obligation to enact a non-binding referendum in the first place. 

no, it doesn’t. ???? 

you wish ???? 

Who gives a damn about your “system”? 

Not you, obviously.  

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not my system. Read up about John Locke and the centuries of political philosophy since then, which apparently you now want to overturn on account of losing the Brexit vote.

Well, my argument here is not about the interpretation of the letter of the law, which can be twisted every which way by those who want to, at least for the purposes of delay. It's about honouring the underlying system. Honour and decency exist to prevent endless conflict and impasse. In a sense, honour is the system, and if that system is flouted, the result is chaos - as we see. Perhaps the British pioneered this - I certainly take it to be the essence of Britishness - and I don't know about you, but I learnt how to lose with honour and decency at an early age.

4 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Wrong. Show me where article 50 declares a referendum binding. 

Pedantic. I expect that you do know that he is referring to the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act, 2017. 

7 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I’m wondering who’s desperate seeing Brexit failing and failing and failing ???? I’m laughing my ass off seeing you fail and destroying your country ???? 

That's a shame.

7 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I’m wondering who’s desperate seeing Brexit failing and failing and failing ???? I’m laughing my ass off seeing you fail and destroying your country ???? 

It's not failing, it's just being dragged out by the losers.

No desperation here, all good things are worth waiting for ????.

Well, my argument here is not about the interpretation of the letter of the law, which can be twisted every which way by those who want to, at least for the purposes of delay. It's about honouring the underlying system. Honour and decency exist to prevent endless conflict and impasse.

“Honour and decency” can more easily be interpreted and twisted than laws. 

In a sense, honour is the system, and if that system is flouted, the result is chaos - as we see. Perhaps the British pioneered this - I certainly take it to be the essence of Britishness - and I don't know about you, but I learnt how to lose with honour and decency at an early age.

Chaos is because Brexiteers are trying to ignore the laws, and consider that decent and honest. It’s not. 

37 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

The validity of the referendum was not legally challenged.

The referendum was advisory and as such could not be legally challenged.

Only parliament had the authority to question the result and I suspect that many MPs are now wishing they had.

The Poms are hilarious - as far as us Aussies can see.  So there was a Referendum to decide and the result was Yes. Since then there has been a lot of delaying and schemeing and PM changes because they all did not deliver a 'leave' solution. So Boris was annointed on the basis that he will leave the EU and he set 31st October as the 'drop dead' date. So now the UK Pollies are refusing to vote on the deal Boris negotiated, just like they 'blocked' all the previous deals.  And they even refused to allow Boris to call an election to decide whether UK realy really really wants to leave ????.

Seems to me that the Pollies do not want to be 'counted' as voting against leaving - and that more of them inside the Tories are being 'outed' since Boris took over - and they hate him for it.  And here I was thinking the Swamp was deep in the USA - they aint got nothing on these UK pollies.  Many Tories have been lieing and scheming ever since the Referendum to stop Brexit - the dirty sneaky buggers. At least the Labour people have been honest about it all.

UK politics is getting very very interesting and entertaining - so is USA at the minute.  Us Aussies think it is hilarious and we love it. It is so much better than I Can Cook Cr*p, or Watch Me Fix This Cr*p, or 'Lets Dance Like Richardheads, and all the rest.  Our Pollies are dead set boring - and half brain dead - which is just the way we like them ????

22 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Destroying the country! You obviously have no idea of our history.

What a ridiculous comment 

The one thing that hasn't been made up is the effect the remainer online Recruiting Sergeants are having in swelling the numbers joining and/or financially contributing to organisations wanting to leave...

Thank you all. Please keep it up! ????

10 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

The Poms are hilarious - as far as us Aussies can see.  So there was a Referendum to decide and the result was Yes. Since then there has been a lot of delaying and schemeing and PM changes because they all did not deliver a 'leave' solution. So Boris was annointed on the basis that he will leave the EU and he set 31st October as the 'drop dead' date. So now the UK Pollies are refusing to vote on the deal Boris negotiated, just like they 'blocked' all the previous deals.  And they even refused to allow Boris to call an election to decide whether UK realy really really wants to leave ????.

Seems to me that the Pollies do not want to be 'counted' as voting against leaving - and that more of them inside the Tories are being 'outed' since Boris took over - and they hate him for it.  And here I was thinking the Swamp was deep in the USA - they aint got nothing on these UK pollies.  Many Tories have been lieing and scheming ever since the Referendum to stop Brexit - the dirty sneaky buggers. At least the Labour people have been honest about it all.

UK politics is getting very very interesting and entertaining - so is USA at the minute.  Us Aussies think it is hilarious and we love it. It is so much better than I Can Cook Cr*p, or Watch Me Fix This Cr*p, or 'Lets Dance Like Richardheads, and all the rest.  Our Pollies are dead set boring - and half brain dead - which is just the way we like them ????

It's good to get a neutral view. You're correct, the MP's trying to block the result of the referendum after standing on manifestos to respect the outcome are an absolute disgrace.

As someone who enjoyed living in Australia for a while and has quite a few Australian friends, I hope you are never blighted by such traitorous politicians scheming against the wishes of their own electorate.

He is an excellent speaker for Remainers because he is completely biased towards Remain.

Of course you like him. If all you care about is Remaining at all costs and you don't give a toss about convention, the constitution, Democracy, bullying of subordinates and the integrity of the House of Commons then he's perfect [emoji2956].
If there is one thing Bercow has been outstanding on it has been defending the integrity of the House of Commons. Together with the Supreme Court have blocked the Hard Brexiteer loons.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The remainers still can't grasp what is happening. OK, so they managed(through a highly compromised speaker) to frustrate the result of the 2016 referendum, but the public are furious and growing ever more angry each time the speaker and remainers thwart their will. They can not put off a general election for ever, and having seen the poll results Labour are in for a severe hiding, and Boris is soaring. The result of all the shenanigans is that the Brexit we get will end up being much harder than if they only played fair and got this compromise Boris deal done and dusted. 
 The damage to democracy thanks to the remainer behaviour is IMHO insurmountable and huge changes will take place after the next election to ensure such anti democratic displays can not occur again. They only have themselves to blame. See you at the ballot box!
Huffing and puffing time from the Hard Brexiteers who are failing with no-deal and now retreat to threats of revenge.

555 classic whataboutism.

The courts ruling against the government on political, nonjusticiable matters against Brexit is yet another example of the establishment being completely biased towards Remain. Another embarrassment that Remainers have brought on the country. I'd be keeping quiet about that if I was you.
For the Hard Brexiteers the legal system is not about upholding the law, it should be about supporting them. Daft or what?

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

If there is one thing Bercow has been outstanding on it has been defending the integrity of the House of Commons. Together with the Supreme Court have blocked the Hard Brexiteer loons.

Nonsense. Bercow has lost any integrity that he might have had with his continual biased stance. By doing this he has also degraded the integrity of the HoC. 

Yes he's always consistent. He consistently abides with the conventions if that supports Remain. And he consistently breaks conventions if that supports Remain [emoji38]. He secretly meets with Sassoli (EU Parliament President) to plot strategies to Remain, and he drives around with "Barlucks To Brexit" stickers on his car.

This is the guy who is supposed to be impartial and the "referee" of the house of commons. It's like a boxing referee putting a fighter in a headlock while the other fighter punches him. It's absolutely laughable, and makes a mockery of the system.

Obviously Remainers love him as he shares their values of trampling all over Democracy and the constitution to try to get what they want. Of course, all they are doing is delaying the inevitable and hardening the resolve of Leavers but they haven't worked that out yet.
Delaying the inevitable one assumes = no-deal Brexit.

It's not Johnson who's in peril, it's Britain. The remainers have brought disgrace and dishonour to the nation.

I would like to ask all of them this: if you lose at anything, do you demand the result be expunged from the record? If you are losing a game of Monopoly, do you kick the board over? If your team loses a cup final, do you demand that the game be replayed until your team wins? Do you understand the concept of losing with grace and dignity at all?
Never lost no-deal Brexit which is the Hard Brexiteer lie.

It was a Binary choice, Remain or Leave. Leave won and the result of the vote must be implemented.

In terms of process, sure we can have another one in a couple of decades after this one has been implemented. That's how Democracy works. It doesn't work by insulting the other side and demanding another vote before you even implemented the result of the first one because you don't like the result.

That's a desperate, illogical and frankly uncivilized stance to take. You're better than that. 
No-deal Brexit didn't win.

Nonsense. Bercow has lost any integrity that he might have had with his continual biased stance. By doing this he has also degraded the integrity of the HoC. 
Hard Brexiteers defending the integrity of Parliament? We are looking forwards to that happening any day soon. [emoji1782]

Archived