came to thailand today and they were shocked at the immigration border suvarnaburi

46 minutes ago, bigginhill said:

Ok. Decide how much a tourist should spend a week, say just for arguements sake, 10,000 baht a week. You want to stay a month you put 40,000 baht on a special thai bank debit card. Non refundable. 

6 weeks 60,000. Etc etc.

So now what problem should immigration have if I want to stay 2 weeks or 6 months? 

It has been decided in 1979 that 20,000 baht can last for 60 days. I.e. 333 baht per day.

The law is the law, we should respect it.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 10:33 AM, Sticky Wicket said:

Why are you comparing a 1st world country and a third world country with absolutely no safety net!

He is only comparing the requirements for various nationals to enter. The UK, for example, would not let a Thai turn up without a Visa, but apparently UK nationals expect to be allowed into Thailand without one. 

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

He is only comparing the requirements for various nationals to enter. The UK, for example, would not let a Thai turn up without a Visa, but apparently UK nationals expect to be allowed into Thailand without one. 

But UK passport holders are visa exempt for 30 days!

On 10/23/2019 at 12:21 AM, Sticky Wicket said:

Why can't somebody be a tourist for 1, 2, 10 years? 

It's dinosaur thinking from a dinosaur run country

Yes, or it could only be wierd thinking from you. Eeeh, The reason might probably be that most people will have to work during that time, and that´s illegal on a tourist visa.

That , of course, leave a few who are economically independent that has to suffer for other peoples wrongdoings. That´s just what happens when too many break the rules.

Wonder who´s the prehistoric one that doesn´t understand now?

On 10/23/2019 at 4:24 AM, Sticky Wicket said:

But it doesn't! Show me the legal documentation that defines a tourist and how long they are allowed to stay for.

It's just arbitrary xenophobia.

Everything is opaque here to allow maximization of scams and corruption.

There is NO semblance of a welfare state here, so even the much maligned over stayer still has to fend for himself.  

The legal document is the one stating that you can´t live and work in Thailand on a tourist visa. Please read rinse and repeat my comment above. That will make it crystal clear for you. NO semblance to a welfare state? You need to read up before posting. That´s because Thailand is no welfare state.

Yes, if you overstay, you shall have the need to fend for yourself. 

On 10/23/2019 at 5:13 AM, Sticky Wicket said:

I never said they could!

So, you didn´t? Ok, why are you making Thailand out to be so bad then?

On 10/23/2019 at 5:20 AM, Sticky Wicket said:

The amount of sanctimonious expats on this site is astonishing!

The old timers hate the thought of the younger, wealthier and better looking youngsters shagging all 'their' women!

I knew it! Your a young and handsome guy, that can get all the girls just by flash the dough. You know one thing? When you put better looking and wealthier in the same sentence when it comes to getting the girls, it´s hillarious! Show most readers that you know zip zero about how things always worked in Thailand.

By the way, I am under 50, and not a sanctimonious expat. I know exactly what I am doing and how things work here.

Summary: I am very sorry for all that have to fight for living in Thailand on back-to-back tourist visas hiding thier work. That as the same time they can not accept that Thailand ain´t taking that no more.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:55 PM, josephbloggs said:

Ok, so tell me a non dinosaur country that allows people to wander around freely as a tourist for 1, 2, 10 years?  Especially with no proof of income, no questions asked as you appear to think should be normal.

answer--China. Yes, they gave me 10 year visa and I used it multiple times and no income questions.

14 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Because a tourist is not supposed to stay long term. Don't you know how a tourist visa works in the western world? 

The OP is coming for a few months as a tourist. Nowhere in my post did I say he should be allowed to enter as long as he wants. 

15 hours ago, saengd said:

Allowed to enter for up to six months, at the discretion of the I/O and subject to nothing having changed in her circumstances. My wife has the same thing and every entry is treated as an individual instance rather than carte blanche to go and live in the UK for six months.

True, I forgot to add in that it is a 6 month per year entry. However, still better than what tourists are treated to here in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 10:10 AM, parafareno said:

50 yo

seems to me only me had a big talk for like 5 minutes....

and she said it will be hard to extend 2 months....only if i go out with a plane to another country...and come back.....

i am worried about that..i dont want to fly somewhere and pay so much money....i used to just go with a bus to cambodia and eveyrthing was ok

She's talking BS. Extensions can only be done IN Thailand.

To leave would render the visa invalid unless get a re entry permit, but they don't, far as I know, extend a visa on arrival.

27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes they are, how about Thais travelling to the UK?

You expect everything in the world to be balanced and equal, that's not how things work in the real world! The UK recorded 45,000 visitors from Thailand last year, the number of UK citizens visiting Thailand historically has been over one million (now much reduced).....that's why Brits get 30 day visa free and Thai's don't, it's a demand issue that relates to the financial contribution to tourism. 

Just now, saengd said:

You expect everything in the world to be balanced and equal, that's not how things work in the real world! The UK recorded 45,000 visitors from Thailand last year, the number of UK citizens visiting Thailand historically has been over one million (now much reduced).....that's why Brits get 30 day visa free and Thai's don't, it's a demand issue that relates to the financial contribution to tourism. 

So which comes first, the chicken or the egg? The supply or the demand. I suggest if no Visa was required, the UK would get a sight more Thai visitors.  What strikes me as ironic, is UK people whingeing about Thais not honouring or not issuing Visas, or turning people away Visa Exempt, when the UK effectively blocks Thais. Many countries employ reciprocity,  India for example. 

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

So which comes first, the chicken or the egg? The supply or the demand. I suggest if no Visa was required, the UK would get a sight more Thai visitors.  What strikes me as ironic, is UK people whingeing about Thais not honouring or not issuing Visas, or turning people away Visa Exempt, when the UK effectively blocks Thais. Many countries employ reciprocity,  India for example. 

If the UK didn't require a visa from Thai people almost certainly the supply of visitors would increase. At the same time, the workload of UK Border Patrol would increase proportionately as they search for and deport overstayers and those working illegally, just like Thailand is doing currently with UK visitors!

FWIW the number of Thai's visiting the UK has increased year on year from 19,000 to 46,000. https://www.visitbritain.org/nation-region-county-data?area=9000&purpose=1&country=3340

4 minutes ago, saengd said:

FWIW the number of Thai's visiting the UK has increased year on year from 19,000 to 46,000

They are good tourists, spotted a group of them in Harrods, my GF was in awe as they were famous Thai actors, apparently. 

On 10/23/2019 at 4:12 AM, parafareno said:

she was talking also that other people come only for 1 week,not 3 months...etc....

why i stay so long....as a tourist etc....

Any economist would work out that tourism is only profitable for a country above a given per capita daily spending. For Thailand my ballpark figure would be 5000 to 6000 for a single traveler and 10000 to 12000 for a family of 4. I guess the immigration and tourism authorities share this sort of views now.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

The UK certainly doesn't 'block' Thais.  I used to do quite a bit of work in Thailand and have a lot of Thai friends. Many have visited me in the UK. Had Thai husband/wife visit for three months June - August. They stayed with us part of the time and also toured around the UK. Three guys I know are coming to visit us in November for two weeks.

These are all people with good jobs and seem to have no problem getting a visit visa. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

They are good tourists, spotted a group of them in Harrods, my GF was in awe as they were famous Thai actors, apparently. 

Japan allows Thai's a vis exemption:

"A significant number of our fellow citizens have overstayed their travel visas and many are working there illegally. Before the visa requirement was waived, these were not worrying issues. Now they are. 

The embassy says there are currently 5,595 Thais residing illegally in Japan, up from about 3,400 last year, a jump that embarrasses the Thai government. Japanese authorities have thus far been tolerant and magnanimous and are not reconsidering the Thai visa waiver."

https://www.nationthailand.com/opinion/30303106

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 2:18 AM, parafareno said:

so instead just getting a stamp they were talking to me like 5 minutes.....cause i have single entry visa and will go home after 3 months...

Last time I travelled to NZ, I had people asking me why I stayed only 4 weeks and not, like many travellers, 3 months and longer. Oh well, in some countries they actually like tourists...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

5 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

These are all people with good jobs and seem to have no problem getting a visit visa.

Well my experience is only that of helping my partner get one and a right palaver it was! Also friends being unable to get one for their partners or even wives. Visa agents don't charge a small fortune for doing something that is 'no problem'..... And before anyone says anything perhaps derogatory about these ladies... we hardly get the creme de la creme of Brits here in Thailand!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, saengd said:

"A significant number of our fellow citizens have overstayed their travel visas and many are working there illegally. Before the visa requirement was waived, these were not worrying issues. Now they are. 

And could  that paragraph be applied to a different country, speaking of a different set of nationals?

• Confused 1

On 10/23/2019 at 9:55 AM, josephbloggs said:

Ok, so tell me a non dinosaur country that allows people to wander around freely as a tourist for 1, 2, 10 years?  Especially with no proof of income, no questions asked as you appear to think should be normal.

I agree, the US won't even give you a tourist visa until you have $30,000 in the bank account. Some people just only have small knowledge, but not enough for truly understand how the world works.  If Thailand gives the US citizens free 30 days tourist visa, then the US should reciprocate,  right? Do we call that a dinosaur or prejudice? 

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Yep, it limits you to six months per calendar year (similar to what Thailand is now enforcing), and it doesn't allow you to freely wander around the country for 10 years.  Which is exactly the point I was making.

What?! My wife and I did a few months. Returned to Thailand and back for another six weeks. I'm not saying you're wrong about the six months but I'd never heard that.

Ten year visa.

Can't go running around the country? US? Thats exactly what we did. Visited nearly every great national park in the west. Then came back and visited relatives in the East. Then back to visit my old friends and home in California. She never registered anywhere for anything.

Edited by Number 6

58 minutes ago, Jimlim said:

I agree, the US won't even give you a tourist visa until you have $30,000 in the bank account. Some people just only have small knowledge, but not enough for truly understand how the world works.  If Thailand gives the US citizens free 30 days tourist visa, then the US should reciprocate,  right? Do we call that a dinosaur or prejudice? 

Neither this nor that. We call that economic inequality. A working class Thai who gets a lousy under-the-table job in the U.S. can earn much more than in Thailand. A working class American doing the same in Thailand would earn much less.

That's why a typical Thai has a harder time to prove that they won't overstay and work illegally than a typical American. It's really that simple.

Edited by Caldera
Typo
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Jimlim said:

My wife, then gf got a ten year visa on a job guarantee letter and about 150k in the bank.

US would be insane to grant visa free for one week. As it is half the Thais don't go back. I bet I know three that had overstayed and another three still in US overstay. Too lol. The US doesn't need Thai tourists. Korea, Japan same - overstay in the thousands.

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

That is not an answer.  I asked what country allows you to freely wander around as a tourist for 1, 2, 10 years?  Answer = none.

A 10 year China visa only allows 30-90 days at a time, maximum.  And it is only available to citizens of five countries.  

Oh so what really. Right now 1000s of farang would be happy to have a ONE year visa on 90 day in out terms.

Bah

On 10/23/2019 at 11:11 AM, Vacuum said:

Yes indeed, for the illegal english teachers that abused them. And yet you seem to be surprised that immigration have changed the rules for tourist visas.

Digital nomads also abuse them because they are not tourists. They need to find another country. Noone will miss them. Sick of all the BS on TV. If you want to stay here, get the right visa. If there is no suitable visa then leave!!

• Like 2