US urges Thailand to delay ban on pesticide as it will affect Bt51-bn of imports

webfact

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

You'll give yourself a heart attack at this rate

Not me, my heart is just fine. Exercise and run almost every day.  Going back to the US for my yearly VA physical and check up next week.

I laugh at some of these haters on here that go on and on about the US and Trump. 

Hey, but thanks for your concern. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KKr said:

since China will not buy from US those Soybeans, they need to be flogged somewhere.
I can eat less soybeans.

How come a US Secretary of State dares to instruct a Sovereign State on its Domestic Policies ?
How come The Secretary has time to devote to less than 2 billion $ of exports??
How come times are so desperate in Trump Land  ???

Moreover, why are there so many c.c. lines in the letter, was it designed to be leaked to the public ?

CHICAGO - The U.S. Department of Agriculture on Thursday confirmed private sales to China of 68,000 tonnes of soybeans for the 2019/20 marketing year, the first such purchase by a private buyer since the trade war between the world's two largest economies broke out more than a year ago.Aug 1, 2019

So far this year, American farmers have sold some 8.2 million metric tons of soybeans to China, down from 21.4 million metric tons during the same period in 2017, according to the latest USDA figures.Dec 12, 2018

Come on, you people make this way to easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

The USA is now the equivalent of the big bully in the school who takes money off weak kids. Very much a reflection of its leader. Someone who had, at best, a chequered education. So much so he has, (along with his tax records, converstaions at state visits with leaders like Putin) hidden them from the electorate so as to avoid scrutiny and accountability. He's a cheat and liar. This latest stunt is a cheap way a garnering a few votes with the murkier side of wall street and some of the trailer park trash that like cowardly bravado.

Let's hope for the world's sake he has consigned to an embarrassing chapter in history next year otherwise I fear a new lee Harvey Oswald might materialize.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Expat Brad said:

So, the US in typical bully form is telling Thailand to continue supporting US chemical companies OR they'll stop purchasing Thai goods. 

No they're not. They're saying that it will affect US exports into Thailand, not the other way round. They do claim that it will cost Thai farmers large amounts of money because of increased costs but there is no mention of any threat in regard to Thai produce being sold in the US.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

Does anyone know if these weedkillers are used in Europe and North America? It would be good to know these chemical companies are eating food made with their chemicals.

Do not know about USA, but EU has banned em I believe

On 10/24/2019 at 11:07 PM, unamazedloso said:

this is a joke right? i dont see the US doing something like this at all. What the hell would it have to do with exports from the US?

Farmers pay people to spray who HAVE bery short lives. Thats fact because its dam obvious if you live amoungst farmers as we do.

paying for weed removal isnt any different but just a little slower. 

Not all weees need to be pulled either and can in fact help richen the sil when rotared or plowed for next harvest.

This story is rubbish and jusy about someones wealth who isnt a farmer at all.

Brainwashed american. You even believe 9/11 made buy terrorist. Bush family is a terrorist. 

People in the world should understand , you cant trust the USA anymore.

Like the blonde said " USA first "

They changed their ways and are after world domination. Of course there are many stockholders of Monsanto (USA) and they see their money slip away. Of course US government is very into those wealthy investors and now they lobby for it.

They are now pushing Thailand to go on, otherwise impacts on business, so income. already threatening. I wonder what they are doing in Africa where they buy many land.

It;s real time to break up those stupid big companies with their negative impacts on the world. Guess its already too late

People in the world should understand , you cant trust the USA anymore.
Like the blonde said " USA first "
They changed their ways and are after world domination. Of course there are many stockholders of Monsanto (USA) and they see their money slip away. Of course US government is very into those wealthy investors and now they lobby for it.
They are now pushing Thailand to go on, otherwise impacts on business, so income. already threatening. I wonder what they are doing in Africa where they buy many land.
It;s real time to break up those stupid big companies with their negative impacts on the world. Guess its already too late

No one is holding Monsanto stock.

A fair percentage of the world will starve if chemical pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers are banned.

Meat and produce have been engineered for hundreds of years

42 minutes ago, mogandave said:

A fair percentage of the world will starve if chemical pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers are banned.

"Meat and produce have been engineered for hundreds of years."

Really? In what way? 

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Your turn.

I'm over trying to educate the "comes in a carton brigade" about the world's LARGEST industry.

One day they might actually learn the difference between a non-selective and a selective herbicide.

And how a school gardener is the debate of all this contention.  

6 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"Meat and produce have been engineered for hundreds of years."

Really? In what way? 

By selective cross-breeding. None of the domesticated animals used in modern meat production or the crop varieties used in commercial agriculture are naturally-occurring in the wild. They are all the product of centuries (if not millennia, in some cases) of species engineering by humans.

Your turn.
I'm over trying to educate the "comes in a carton brigade" about the world's LARGEST industry.
One day they might actually learn the difference between a non-selective and a selective herbicide.
And how a school gardener is the debate of all this contention.  

It is painful.

One guy earlier in thread asked: “Why would it cost more to vegetables without pesticides?”

• Thanks 1

By selective cross-breeding. None of the domesticated animals used in modern meat production or the crop varieties used in commercial agriculture are naturally-occurring in the wild. They are all the product of centuries (if not millennia, in some cases) of species engineering by humans.

You mean apples, oranges, bananas, mango, pineapple lettuce, carrots, potatoes etc... have not always been cheap and available year-round?

Greed and interests knows no boundaries.  We often look at less developed countries as corrupt and violating human rights yet one of the most advanced countries in the world does it on a systematic basis albeit in the form of trade deals, GSP privileges, tariffs, non-tariff barriers etc (aka economic bullying)

Money talks and ethics walks.

Edited by smileydude