US urges Thailand to delay ban on pesticide as it will affect Bt51-bn of imports

webfact

10 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Correct, but not for long.

https://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/toxic-tort-law/monsanto-roundup-lawsuit/where-is-glyphosate-banned/

"As you can see above, some individual countries have introduced legislation to ban or restrict private sales of glyphosate, or restrictions on spraying glyphosate in public spaces. As for the whole of the European Union (EU), glyphosate is not currently banned.

However, EU public opinion is leaning in favor of a glyphosate ban. In a 2016 poll of the five largest EU countries, over 66 percent of respondents said they favored a glyphosate ban. Over 1.3 million people signed a petition in 2017 calling for a European ban of glyphosate. That public pressure caught the attention numerous Members of European Parliament, who have cited the petition as the foundation for instituting an EU ban."

It will stop being used when a cost effective replacement is found.

9 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Oh yeah that World Health Organization, after careful review, declared glyphosate and other agrochemicals to be “probable human carcinogen” 

The U.S. is clearly in denial... I wonder why. 

https://sustainablepulse.com/2015/03/21/who-declares-that-glyphosate-herbicides-probably-cause-cancer/#.W-w7MehKg2w

Why wondering? 

It's just American Way of Life. Business first if it's good for the country. Who cares about people getting cancer or other health problems? ???? it's high time for the young ones to get power to switch the public view from money only to protect environment and a healthy sustainable future! ????

9 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

this is a joke right? i dont see the US doing something like this at all. What the hell would it have to do with exports from the US?

Farmers pay people to spray who HAVE bery short lives. Thats fact because its dam obvious if you live amoungst farmers as we do.

paying for weed removal isnt any different but just a little slower. 

Not all weees need to be pulled either and can in fact help richen the sil when rotared or plowed for next harvest.

This story is rubbish and jusy about someones wealth who isnt a farmer at all.

You didn't get it.  The imported fruits and vegetables from US grew with use of these chemicals.  You can't forbid their use in Thailand and import products full of these poisons.  Just common sense.

10 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Oh yeah that World Health Organization, after careful review, declared glyphosate and other agrochemicals to be “probable human carcinogen” 

https://sustainablepulse.com/2015/03/21/who-declares-that-glyphosate-herbicides-probably-cause-cancer/#.W-w7MehKg2w

US$1.7 b of exports maybe?

Boys you are way off the mark.

Gyphosphate is off patent. So most nowadays is formulated in china by sinochem.

Monsanto Bayer interest is in having that varieties that are tolerant of the product when sprayed over the top a few weeks after germination to eliminate all weeds. As a farmer this is a great technique as it is cheap and no crop damage. There are many other herbicides on the market but requires more skill to avoid crop damage or repeat applications.

in thailand glyphosate is used to kill off weeds on crop land before planting for a clean start. Often this can reduce soil erosion during the wet season in particular on the uplands. Other residual herbicide which could be alternatives are sold in thailand because there are greater stewardship required.

Glyphosphate is a great peasant farmers tool. 
now lorsban is also a very all purpose insecticide for control of soil insects that eat your seeds after planting. as there isn’t any alternative products for that problem I think since there are only very weak arguments for that product which are being voiced in Kalifornia . 

paraquat is a product that shouldn’t get on your skin but as for being in good at harvest is very very low. It is a  herbicide that clears out the green of leaves of weeds and when they are small will kill the plant by browning the out. So something one wouldn’t be using on near harvest product. Most paraquat in thailand is used under corn crop as it doesn’t enter the stem.

now I’m only guessing now but me thinks the USDA interest is that it wouldn’t want to see a ban on gylyphosphate as it may be later linked to a block on soybean imports to thailand from the US.

further I would think of farm output downturn due to weeds without glyphosate 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

I'll ask the question again. Where is the relevance to Thailand in context of this thread? You have loosely linked Thailand and Brexit to the cost of calling an ambulance in the US where you seem to under the impression they also use pounds as currency!!

The OP is about a suggestion from the US for Thailand to reconsider its ban on some chemicals.

My personal view is that the ban will be reversed due to pressure from Thai farmers and no one else.

By the way you have your quotes mixed up.

Edited by emptypockets

7 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Whether it be Monsanto or new owner Bayer, glyphosate and these two companies are evil and have great pull on the USA government and internationally. Just evil. 

Bayer is a German company.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, emptypockets said:
40 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Interesting reading. They are saying basically that it is low toxicity and does not cause cancer. The harm to wildlife is practically zero.

Or they are saying that when mixed with the chemicals used in the finished product, as used by farmers, is rather nasty stuff that should be used with care.

Edited by chang1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

You must read scientific studies on the subject. Glyphosate in its pure form seems to not cause cancer but Roundup and Touchdown uses other chemicals in their formulations that can cause cancer as a combination. One such chemical is used to break down cells to allow glyphosate to enter the plant cell. Scientist think that this chemical in combination with glyphosate could cause cancer. However all known cases where Roundup is thought to have caused cancer it was people that applied the chemical that got sick not by eating it. GMO products are however at greater risk to cause such cancers. In the western world they love their Roundup ready cotton, soyabeans etc.  These crops are directly sprayed with Roundup. In Thailand we do not use these GMO crops. Glyphosate also do not build up in your body and thus small quantities will be excreted from your body without causing harm. The WHO declared that it maybe causing cancer but they said the same about red meat. I see may TV members want to ban glyphosate but I have not read about a ban on red meat. 

Do not get me wrong I am against the over use of chemicals but unfortunately we are being led into a trap. The alternatives to glyphosate and paraquat are made by the same companies. These alternatives are much more expensive than the banned products. Thus the chemical companies will score massive with a world wide ban on these products. Secondly very little research has been done on these alternatives and we could be replacing something bad with something worst. 

And yes we can convert all farms to organic farms. But then we must first reduce the population with half and be prepared to pay much higher prices for food. As for organic farming it is largely BS. Many organic farms are using chicken litter as a fertilizer but this litter is full of anti biotics and hormones. Micro plastics are everywhere and we are eating it even in organic food. Our water sources are polluted with chemicals and this water is used in organic farming. Organic food is cleaner food but not clean food. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Clearly you have no idea what glysophate is, how it works and what it is used for.

Sometimes it is better to say nothing.

Agreed, same with 'experts' about the 'danger' of using maryjaine. None of these experts have never tried the stuff, but they're still experts on the matter... :blink:

• Like 1

Glyphosate may be relatively safe by itself but when mixed with other chemicals may not be. These days we are exposed to many different cocktails of chemicals that can be dangerous. For example, pregnant women are advised to not travel in brand new cars due to the mixture of vapours released by the materials they are made from. Add in some pesticide vapour and who knows what that may do to you. Especially hard to know as there may not be any symptoms until months or years after exposure. Red meat may be perfectly fine but the things the cows are exposed to may build up in and get passed on to us in the meat.

Edited by chang1
  • Like 1

Ethical high road from Trump's Administration? You have to be daft to think or hope that will ever happen.

Having to choose between environmentally safe products and incur a lose in profits over continued use of products that poison the environment and destroys people's lives should be an easy decision...if you are not filled with greed...[emoji857]

Controlling greed...finding a fair balance between profit and environment is a world-wide issue with no easy solution...[emoji848]

The US should take the ethical high-road and discontinue products that are under investigation...[emoji106]
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Its more that the rest of the world is starting to give the finger up to the USA. The USA with Thrump is destroying itself from the inside out. I went from a huge supporter of the US to a critic after all the lies that were told and the manipulations. I guess I was not alone.

I rather have the Germans leading the world then the US (especially the Germans now vs the US now). Not much of a chance of that happening. Still the US is just a little bit less bad then the Russians and Chinese. 

If you look at stuff like Boeing and other scandals one can see the US is quite corrupt right now far more so then Europe. Now with them supporting this even more resentment will build. Though this is minor compared to other things.

Lets hope the US sees the light in the future and changes back to what they once were. 

Current status of glyphosate in the EU

On 15 April 2019, the Member States endorsed a Commission’s proposal to appoint four Member States (France, Hungary, the Netherlands and Sweden) acting jointly as 'rapporteurs' for the next assessment of glyphosate – this group of Member States will be known as the Assessment Group on Glyphosate (AGG). On 10 May 2019 it was adopted the Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/724.

On 12 December 2017, the Commission renewed the approval of glyphosate for 5 years, following support by a qualified majority of Member States in an Appeal Committee held on 27 November 2017.

Therefore, glyphosate can be used as an active substance in Plant Protection Products (PPPs), until 15 December 2022, subject to each PPP being authorised by national authorities following an evaluation of their safety.

As for you no longer supporting the US, on a scale of one to 10 that ranks about 0 except to a few of your BFF USA/Trump haters on here. Do you really believe that your opinion on the USA counts for $%$%$. They need to change the name of this site to how I hate and I am sooooo jealous of the USA site. 

I really liked the one comment where the individual went on that TDS rant and called Trump about 10 names, one being in line to a whore monger or something. I bet that made a lot of expats on here take notice! HEY, is he talking about me!!!

Anyway, take your meds girls, that TDS kicking in bad this afternoon. So fun to read the comment on here.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...some things not right about this....starting with the 'smudged' (?) photocopies....

...also timing too convenient for the sellers (?) ...or those that profit form the sale of these poisons...

....hope they really investigate before this is accepted as 'Gospel'...

...the Glyph...poison already banned in many civilized countries....

...and the sale of poisons has nothing to do with the sale of crops...

...the US government is clearly avoiding any possible 'quid pro quo' scenarios involving foreign governments these days....which this would appear to be...

On 15 April 2019, the Member States endorsed a Commission’s proposal to appoint four Member States (France, Hungary, the Netherlands and Sweden) acting jointly as 'rapporteurs' for the next assessment of glyphosate – this group of Member States will be known as the Assessment Group on Glyphosate (AGG). On 10 May 2019 it was adopted the Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/724.

On 12 December 2017, the Commission renewed the approval of glyphosate for 5 years, following support by a qualified majority of Member States in an Appeal Committee held on 27 November 2017.

Therefore, glyphosate can be used as an active substance in Plant Protection Products (PPPs), until 15 December 2022, subject to each PPP being authorised by national authorities following an evaluation of their safety.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not used in any country in the EU. it's found in aquifers because it seeps down from farmers fields who have used it.

urrent status of glyphosate in the EU

Therefore, glyphosate can be used as an active substance in Plant Protection Products (PPPs), until 15 December 2022, subject to each PPP being authorised by national authorities following an evaluation of their safety

8 hours ago, 30la said:

And, as always, MONEY!
America recommends / ORDER and everyone follows, who cares how many deaths there will be for a wrong decision, the only important thing: Americans are happy!
There is still talk of sovereign states, does another sovereign state still exist in this world outside the USA?

The brexiteers think so.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, allen303 said:

As for you no longer supporting the US, on a scale of one to 10 that ranks about 0 except to a few of your BFF USA/Trump haters on here. Do you really believe that your opinion on the USA counts for $%$%$. They need to change the name of this site to how I hate and I am sooooo jealous of the USA site. 

I really liked the one comment where the individual went on that TDS rant and called Trump about 10 names, one being in line to a whore monger or something. I bet that made a lot of expats on here take notice! HEY, is he talking about me!!!

Anyway, take your meds girls, that TDS kicking in bad this afternoon. So fun to read the comment on here.

You'll give yourself a heart attack at this rate