US urges Thailand to delay ban on pesticide as it will affect Bt51-bn of imports

webfact

Why would a ban on the use of a chemical in Thailand affect the import of soybeans and apples from the USA to Thailand?

Something doesn't make sense..

It seems more logical that the USA is producing the chemical and selling it to Thailand.  But then the Chinese would probably produce a knockoff product much cheaper.  

Apparently farmers in Thailand were upset about the ban (at least a headline in Bangkok Post said so this week)

Something missing in the story

19 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

Mick Mulvaney says that's how this White House does things now and people need to get over it. Plain and simple it is the threat of withholding something in return for something else.

Exactly. this is the way it's always been done, and this is the way it always will be. Our way or the highway. And quite frankly, in terms of quid pro quo, any country that doesn't do our bidding shouldn't get a dime.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

Something missing in the story

That's what I was thinking. The only way I could make sense of this, is if the Thai ban on the use of the pesticides within Thailand, also meant that crops grown abroad using them, would be banned from import into Thailand.

Is that what's happening here? I haven't seen it reported that way anywhere but as you say, maybe there's something we're missing.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

7 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Oh yeah that World Health Organization, after careful review, declared glyphosate and other agrochemicals to be “probable human carcinogen” 

The U.S. is clearly in denial... I wonder why. 

https://sustainablepulse.com/2015/03/21/who-declares-that-glyphosate-herbicides-probably-cause-cancer/#.W-w7MehKg2w

Because it is a corporate oligarchy in which public watchdogs like the EPA are defanged.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Oh yeah that World Health Organization, after careful review, declared glyphosate and other agrochemicals to be “probable human carcinogen” 

The U.S. is clearly in denial... I wonder why. 

https://sustainablepulse.com/2015/03/21/who-declares-that-glyphosate-herbicides-probably-cause-cancer/#.W-w7MehKg2w

the usa doesn't believe the international organizations, they only believe in the holy word of trump ????

Edited by than
  • Like 1

What about the class action suits against  Round up,in the USA,
one person has already won a multi million payout(dont
know if they actually have the cash yet) adverts on Tv for
people that have been affected to join.
regards Worgeordie

Yes, that attorneys are able to extort money from large businesses in the US proves it.
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Having to choose between environmentally safe products and incur a lose in profits over continued use of products that poison the environment and destroys people's lives should be an easy decision...if you are not filled with greed...????

Controlling greed...finding a fair balance between profit and environment is a world-wide issue with no easy solution...????

The US should take the ethical high-road and discontinue products that are under investigation...????

Who holds the licences?

Who makes the money
 Who lobbies governments?

Ethical high ground, not under current regimes in either country,.

And here I was in the belief that that ban was a local agricultural issue. Not that it encompassed a ban on imported foods  that have had it  applied !

Maybe Monsanto is  miffed by the fact that they have contaminated  so many  crops with genetically engineered strains hat are now almost  dominant but will ave no purpose as intended?

japan for one will not allow the import of GE products or anything tested and found  to contain very strictly limited chemical residues. Has the US made such same objection?

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

Another fine example of the values of Corporate USA who Brexit will force us to cosy up to more and more to get trade deals!!!

...Special Relationship....No thanks! Give me Europe any day!

Where does the use of agricultural chemicals in Thailand come in to your anti brexit tirade?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

And here I was in the belief that that ban was a local agricultural issue. Not that it encompassed a ban on imported foods  that have had it  applied !

Maybe Monsanto is  miffed by the fact that they have contaminated  so many  crops with genetically engineered strains hat are now almost  dominant but will ave no purpose as intended?

japan for one will not allow the import of GE products or anything tested and found  to contain very strictly limited chemical residues. Has the US made such same objection?

Many countries are the same which is why there are regulations about the application of any chemical and the withholding periods that apply.

Follow the rules and there is no problem. Don't follow the rules and pay the price of the consequences.

No different to driving a car. 

I realise I am wasting my time posting about this issue but sometimes rational thought seems to take second place to some emotive posters so I'll add my two bobs worth anyway.

28 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

GM products are banned from the human food chain throughout Europe. So is the cultivation of GM crops.

Something that miffed the US at the time and caused a mini trade war between the US and Europe.

24 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Don't worry about glysophate on your veggies. Spray Roundup on veggies and ,voila, no veggies, as it kills them. No veggies to buy and no veggies to eat. A farmer would be insane to kill his produce.

Many people,it would seem, have no idea about glysophate and what it is used for.

In the correct concentration it can kill trees. Why would a farmer invest 10 years say, of time money and effort to produce mangos and then kill the lot by spraying them with glysophate. He wouldn't and he doesn't.

It's not sprayed on veggies but used as desiccant right before harvest on most major grain culture. Not sure if it's needed in Thailand it's certainly is used in a lot of colder climate. Glyphosate is also present in most aquifer now and in virtually everyone's blood. 

Edited by Tayaout

4 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

It's not sprayed on veggies but used as desiccant right before harvest on most major grain culture. Not sure if it's needed in Thailand it's certainly is used in a lot of colder country. Glyphosate is also present most aquifer now. 

Not used in any country in the EU. it's found in aquifers because it seeps down from farmers fields who have used it.

https://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/toxic-tort-law/monsanto-roundup-lawsuit/where-is-glyphosate-banned/

"However, the EPA is a captured agency, meaning it is dominated by the industry it presumably regulates. Internal company documents now public in the Monsanto Papers demonstrate that EPA prioritizes the interests of corporations like Monsanto or political groups over the interests of the public it is charged with protecting."

6 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

I know it IS used in the EU

Correct, but not for long.

https://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/toxic-tort-law/monsanto-roundup-lawsuit/where-is-glyphosate-banned/

"As you can see above, some individual countries have introduced legislation to ban or restrict private sales of glyphosate, or restrictions on spraying glyphosate in public spaces. As for the whole of the European Union (EU), glyphosate is not currently banned.

However, EU public opinion is leaning in favor of a glyphosate ban. In a 2016 poll of the five largest EU countries, over 66 percent of respondents said they favored a glyphosate ban. Over 1.3 million people signed a petition in 2017 calling for a European ban of glyphosate. That public pressure caught the attention numerous Members of European Parliament, who have cited the petition as the foundation for instituting an EU ban."

• Like 1