Too much immigration stress

1happykamper

On 10/25/2019 at 5:15 PM, Yinn said:

7/11, big c, ptt, tesco say thank-you for your “gift” 

No,  they don't. 

I always found it a bit strange that in Thailand shop assistants don't say "thank you" like they do in many other countries. 

But it doesn't bother me,  it's ok the way they do it here

On 10/25/2019 at 5:15 PM, Yinn said:

Is not a gift if you get something.

Exactly.  It's not a gift,  it's a price. We are not guests,  we are paying customers. 

And every customer should decide for himself if the price offs right

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 5:24 PM, Fex Bluse said:

Well they are treated differently. 

They receive equal protection under the laws. 

Immigration policies are not tested and changed on them every week. 

They are not systematically charged higher prices based solely on their skin color or nationality. 

They can often own land and businesses outright. 

There is no comparison, really. They have it good and treat immigrants in their countries like dirt. 

It sounds like you have never been an immigrant in your own country.

I only have personal experience how "good" immigrants are treated in my country,  and it's not very nice ("good" immigrants are East Asian or blonde and blue-eyed, not brown people,  who are treated worse).

No equality before the law - too many traps they may fall into.

Always afraid of uniforms. 

They are systematically charged higher prices based solely on their skin color or nationality. Especially for rent and when dealing with banks (the 2 biggest banks in my country both cheated Chinese out of thousands of Euros). But also for taxis, public transport (again too many pitfalls), bakeries...

Nowadays, they cannot even open a bank account

• Confused 1

On 10/26/2019 at 2:28 AM, Trolleen said:

Games thai smile. Thais smile to European before because of European had money. Now with everything went upp in Thailand , European have not  same amount of money as beforewell that's why no point to smile.

Why are you sad about the country. Is it because it easy for you to get a thai woman ? Nobody wants you in Europe. I can tell there many beutful Vietnamese woman. They look same thai or even better and more cheap.

Why not try to go to panama Costa Rica. Beautiful nature, more cheap thanthan Thailand and beautiful women.

Pity some man can not do itit on these forum because of age issuers and probably not good health.

Anyway Vietnamese women waiting for the people with money to come. With a thousands nice smiles

Columbia if you want GFE

Madagascar if you are a sex tourist

On 10/24/2019 at 7:37 PM, Pilotman said:

I think the OP's attitude  and feelings are not unusual among expats now and are justified. Immigration is inconsistent and the ever changing regulations are annoying at best.  This latest change, to require Health Insurance for an extension to be granted, is the latest and probably the final nail in the coffin for many, including I am very sad to say, my Thai wife and I. At 71 the premium for health insurance for me is over US$20,000 per year, I can pay that, but I refuse to do so, for a near useless policy. As to Thais, I find them friendly and welcoming, part from an isolated  few.  They are not the problem, this xenophobic and economically illiterate government is the problem and nothing expats can do will change that fact.  

Insurance may become quite the stumbling block for many expats, especially seniors.  Many seniors will be carrying insurance in their home countries, and risky or not, would fly back to say the USA and use their Medicare as needed.  Will wait to see how the retirement extensions and need or not need for plays out. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 3:25 PM, Pilotman said:

It's just not in the Thai culture, at least not for the run of the mill village people.  My wife is angry beyond words, but you would never really know it unless you knew her well.  She sees no point in complaining even if she knew how to do it and who to contact. She goes with the situation, but she is as unhappy about it all as I am. 

not reality. if you dont complain you blow a fuse down the road or you self medicate with booze and alcohol.

On 10/25/2019 at 5:41 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Perfectly put. I'm the same age and when - not if - the day comes and they demand health insurance for those on marriage visas I'll have no choice but to leave. I have been married for close to 30 years and lived in Thailand for over 25, but it counts for nothing. Most of the people are, in my experience, still friendly and I'll always get a smile in the shops, but this government very clearly has an agenda to 'cleanse' their paradise of long-term foreigners. Maybe it's because if we stay longer than the rose-tinted glasses tourists we can see what a really f*****-up country it is, and we say so, and they don't like it.

I have organised my life so that I would have someone to take care of me in my fragile years, I have a nice home and devoted wife, but every day I have in the back, sometimes the forefront, of my mind that I have no future. Because of what is becoming one of the most repressive and unwelcoming countries in the world. I would not be able to return to the UK as my pension income doesn't qualify as enough to allow my wife to join me - a pension set by that same government that set the income level needed, by the way. So, I would have no choice other than to leave her behind, after 30 years of being together.

It really is no way to live, with that hanging over our heads. And for what? For what?

must be for the temples.

On 10/25/2019 at 9:19 AM, 1happykamper said:

The gifts I am referring to is my money!. Money I spend at lots of small businesses. I'm their guest. Yes. But.. I am also their customer.

As for smiling.. I smile.. I'm a happy guy... I get the insincere smile back...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Wow. I never thought of it that way.

But wait a sec, I spend money at home in USA and don't get much attention from the young sales people making minimum wage at the stores and shops I visit.

So I guess it's the same as Thailand.

Sh*t! Where do I go to not be treated this way? I too yearn to be treated as The Bringer of Light to a dark and dismal world.

Anybody here have any ideas?

• Like 2

Acknowledge the fact that they will never accept you as the one of their own. The best you can get is by spending LOTS OF money on them - you will get a lot of smiles, wais and other fake sh*t. I don't say they are bad, they are what they are. Insulated in their own world without any interest of what's is going on outside it.

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 12:51 AM, Zikomat said:

Acknowledge the fact that they will never accept you as the one of their own. The best you can get is by spending LOTS OF money on them - you will get a lot of smiles, wais and other fake sh*t.

im getting refusals of service and smirks, particularly food vendors, recently. 

feels like a vibe, and not just someone having a really really bad day, but its a new one for me. could also just be the new pattaya location im in, im hoping.

On 10/25/2019 at 1:50 PM, LivinLOS said:

Its funny, you live in it so long like a boiling frog you dont notice the water temp. 

I live up north, and while I love the mountains and wild, also get the pull of the beach, each trip down south to more tourist centric thailand I am shocked by the rudeness, price gouging and general abuse and end up glad to head home, then the desire for a beach break grows and he cycle continues. 

hi there, are there any isolated beaches left where you have necessities within walking distance and reliable phone and internet, some 7-11, big c within reach? looking for someplace with few thais around, minimal involvement.

please shoot off some names to me, thanks.

1 minute ago, fhickson said:

hi there, are there any isolated beaches left where you have necessities within walking distance and reliable phone and internet, some 7-11, big c within reach? looking for someplace with few thais around, minimal involvement.

please shoot off some names to me, thanks.

I have mates who love it up at Ranong Koh Phayam islands region, not for me but suits them. Some pretty coastline, however wettest province in the kingdom.

I can imagine Khao Lak and 10 kms either side would have amenities but peace.. Prechuap KiriKhan also (but fairly busy, limited appeals, gulf side water quality). I know some oil worker / slowed down bar flys who like Ban Chang and east of there coastline. They have it slow but still some active girly bars as patts orbit is there, both in the town and a minor hop into the city. Water quality and the scenery doesnt grab me much. 

Chumpon or Sichon would have strong natural appeal, Samui on its doorstep for modernity, however I need an airport close that flys frequently. Also hot headed southerners seem to say Nakhon folks are hottest heads of all so ?? 

Lots of places to explore.. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry have read some of the posts but not all.

I'm from the UK and nothing in this world or out of it, would get me to go back there.

I live in the middle of Thailand (From BKK to C/M) and everything is much the same as it was 25 years ago. Everyone smiles and are very polite. Prices are Thai and not the overinflated ones that all tourist place have. 

I do go back at times to the UK only to find no Bu//er smiles everyone complains. Prices how Cold it is just a few.

If you have the monies and put 800k in a Thai bank you get your visa simple as making a cup of tea. N/B you cant live anywhere without sufficient funds.

Prices here are much cheaper than living in the UK as well. Take utility bills my ones amount here to around 70 UK less than 3k bht a month here.

One of my houses that I own in the UK has my daughter living in it at present so I know what things cost. She pays out for utility bills 490UK or 19k BHT every month without any food or petrol included. Sorry but you can keep that.

Then the last but not least weather here I don't have an ache in the old bones, unlike when I pop back to the UK where I'm suffering every day.

Leave Thailand and go back to the UK not on your life.

• Like 1

Just pay an agent 15k and you can stay here another year. I don't understand what the stress is about.

Must be the poor exchange rate in the end and maybe you can't live the same lifestyle you did before.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Sorry have read some of the posts but not all.

I'm from the UK and nothing in this world or out of it, would get me to go back there.

I live in the middle of Thailand (From BKK to C/M) and everything is much the same as it was 25 years ago. Everyone smiles and are very polite. Prices are Thai and not the overinflated ones that all tourist place have. 

I do go back at times to the UK only to find no Bu//er smiles everyone complains. Prices how Cold it is just a few.

If you have the monies and put 800k in a Thai bank you get your visa simple as making a cup of tea. N/B you cant live anywhere without sufficient funds.

Prices here are much cheaper than living in the UK as well. Take utility bills my ones amount here to around 70 UK less than 3k bht a month here.

One of my houses that I own in the UK has my daughter living in it at present so I know what things cost. She pays out for utility bills 490UK or 19k BHT every month without any food or petrol included. Sorry but you can keep that.

Then the last but not least weather here I don't have an ache in the old bones, unlike when I pop back to the UK where I'm suffering every day.

Leave Thailand and go back to the UK not on your life.

Sure, all good.   It’s turning 71 here where the cost benefit ratio becomes a concern. I can see it’ll be a matter of deciding based on non financial reasons at that time.   I checked with my insurance agent and 71, like 66 is when you get a premium bump.   Have some claims and she said it can double your premium.   That would do it for me. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 9:37 AM, Pilotman said:

I think the OP's attitude  and feelings are not unusual among expats now and are justified. Immigration is inconsistent and the ever changing regulations are annoying at best.  This latest change, to require Health Insurance for an extension to be granted, is the latest and probably the final nail in the coffin for many, including I am very sad to say, my Thai wife and I. At 71 the premium for health insurance for me is over US$20,000 per year, I can pay that, but I refuse to do so, for a near useless policy. As to Thais, I find them friendly and welcoming, part from an isolated  few.  They are not the problem, this xenophobic and economically illiterate government is the problem and nothing expats can do will change that fact.  

Hang on a second, I thought you had an incredibly amazing life here?? What about Lewis on pole, The birds singing, the gym, coffee with Tarquin and the guys? I'm genuinely shocked.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, sletraveler said:

Sure, all good.   It’s turning 71 here where the cost benefit ratio becomes a concern. I can see it’ll be a matter of deciding based on non financial reasons at that time.   I checked with my insurance agent and 71, like 66 is when you get a premium bump.   Have some claims and she said it can double your premium.   That would do it for me. 

I do agree with you. But I did point out that you cant retire anywhere in the world without the correct financial funds. By putting 800k in a Thai bank you don't need insurance. If you don't have funds I feel sad for anyone.

But it seems that that's the way it's going everywhere. Thailand isn't cheap anymore especially in tourist districts. Where I live cost are generally 50% less than that of Pattaya. A lot more in say Phuket and the islands. Planning early in life is the way to go.

Edited by fredob43

I keep coming back to my abuser.. Thailand.. and I get kicked in the balls on a regular basis!

???? Good one.

Any change in local attitude, I'd place blame squarely on the twerps ru(i)ning the place. Until the people re-seize control, it is a gonner I'm afraid. They were needed when they were needed. 

• Like 2

Most of the individual Thais are just fine.  Polite and helpful on a personal basis with very few exceptions. Just greet them with a smile and/or a customary "wai."  Very occasional ignorant shopkeepers, some taxis & Tuk Tuk drivers and Bureaucrats/government/bank/insurance etc employees were the bane of my life until I left 3 months ago after nearly 6 years "here." (Now "there.") 

• Like 1

It must be winter with all these snowflakes.

Let me guess, most can't speak Thai, most think money should make others respect them, and back home the yearned for someone loving them for just one day....and bitter over something or another, and endless complaining.

spend a few years learning Thai, get good at something, and add value to others.  and quit crying to strangers the moment you don't get your way.   wow, immature.  

these farangs wear disrespectful clothes, act in a rude way, and then go home alone and get mad life isn't what they thought.  i'm sure soooo many chose Thailand for the wrong reason.   

oh, and another thing, please......exercise.  

sometimes you just need a good beaotch slap to wake up.  lol

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

It must be winter with all these snowflakes.

Let me guess, most can't speak Thai, most think money should make others respect them, and back home the yearned for someone loving them for just one day....and bitter over something or another, and endless complaining.

spend a few years learning Thai, get good at something, and add value to others.  and quit crying to strangers the moment you don't get your way.   wow, immature.  

these farangs wear disrespectful clothes, act in a rude way, and then go home alone and get mad life isn't what they thought.  i'm sure soooo many chose Thailand for the wrong reason.   

oh, and another thing, please......exercise.  

sometimes you just need a good beaotch slap to wake up.  lol

if you are actually in Thailand, then it's obvious you do not go out much, maybe pattaya and all the agogo's???? wander a few 100 metres, and you'll see expats making little effort to read , write, and yes, speak thai

edit. I mean only a little effort is needed to learn thai . I started with gor gai books.

Edited by jastheace
reasoning, comprehension

5 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I do agree with you. But I did point out that you cant retire anywhere in the world without the correct financial funds. By putting 800k in a Thai bank you don't need insurance. If you don't have funds I feel sad for anyone.

But it seems that that's the way it's going everywhere. Thailand isn't cheap anymore especially in tourist districts. Where I live cost are generally 50% less than that of Pattaya. A lot more in say Phuket and the islands. Planning early in life is the way to go.

Wasn’t aware of 800 in bank eliminating potential for having to have insurance.  Albeit I would want insurance anyway like I have now.   No outpatient.    Just saying if it gets over $400 a month the no cost health insurance in US would make living there more affordable.  

10 hours ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Hang on a second, I thought you had an incredibly amazing life here?? What about Lewis on pole, The birds singing, the gym, coffee with Tarquin and the guys? I'm genuinely shocked.

I have a good life here, but that doesn't mean that all is roses all the time, or that a compulsory health insurance requirement would not impact me to such an extent that I would have to leave here.  I like my life here very much, but there are other options, as there are for all expats.  The birds still sing , the pool still looks inviting and Lewis will win the US GP, so all is fairly well with the world.