Too much immigration stress

1happykamper

5 hours ago, JWRC said:

It seems to me you have been reading Thai visa too much and letting the constant moans and groans, the negative attitudes and the BS get to you. It is easy to get depressed about something when you are wallowing in it all the time. Sure things change, but it really isn't as bad as some would make out, usually those people are the ones who cannot for some reason comply with the requirements, as an example, lack of funds. I still find Thais the same as when I came here a couple of decades ago, you get back what you give in this life, maybe your lacking in the smile department.

You hit the nail on the head so to speak IMO.

I too got caught up in it on TVF when the TM30 surfaced it's head a few months ago, that said, prior to that the past 4 years have been the usual trip to immigration to do the 90 day reporting then the annual extension.

Once both my wife (landlord) and I got over the hurdle of the TM30 compliance, (ankle bracelet) if you like, as others have called it, it's ok, we went overseas on a short return trip to my country of birth and came back and stayed in another province for a week, as soon as we got into our province we logged into the immigration site and did our first TM30 reporting online, too easy, fortunately for me the wife can read Thai, if it were me, well, there would be a problem.

The above said, after my next extension in January where it coincides with my 90 day reporting, I will be doing the 90 day reporting online, so will only have to go to immigration once a year, but I have to say this, the guys at the IO have been great, I think good dress sense, smiles and wai's are always expected, as someone said, a little respect will surely be reciprocated, it's part of the cultural thing, in any country I would like to think.

Been coming here since 2006, mainly Phuket for holidays, then the village in Isaan for the wife to visit her family, now living here 4 years, I have my ups and downs, but that's just me adjusting to a different country and it's weather. I do miss the way of life back home, but I chose to live here for financial reasons and that in it's self helped me retire 12 years early to a very affordable life here.

If I had to return to my homeland because things in Thailand peed me off, well, no doubt I wouldn't be living as I do here, so it's a balancing act and a choice, and I totally agree with you about the majority of moaners and groaners with negative attitudes and BS here not having the finances to cope with the requirements to stay, especially with all the currencies going south.

For me it's here for now and the future, that said, if there will ever be anything that will push me away from Thailand, it will be the burning season, however because I jump abroad, i.e. from the fire into the pan, will be looking at plan B, Hua Hin for those burning season months, e.g. if they ever get to those levels again, just can't stand the smoke, the Thai mentality is beyond me, but that's a whole new story......bye for now, stay positive, focused and enjoy this one life of freedom, ankle bracelt and all ????

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Interesting. So you are saying it change so much for the negative after you arrived??

Seems strange.

I arrived in 2013.  And apart from what I read on Thaivisa nothing has changed with respect to immigration.  Well it’s better I suppose since I don’t go to Chiang Mai and que up anymore.  Exchange rate is back down to a bit worse than when I moved.   Always bought health insurance since it’s prudent to manage financial risk.   But when I’m over 70 maybe insurance will be cost prohibitive.  Health care is free for me back home so I kept my house in the states for that possibility.  

• Like 1

Everything sounds different when we use the proper word for our status, not guests (we were no invited), not expats (most have not been sent by a company for a short work assignment) but the only correct word: IMMIGRANTS, which is a dirty word I know but why would immigrants here be treated differently than Thai immigrants in Europe or Mexicans in the US? 

7 hours ago, JWRC said:

It seems to me you have been reading Thai visa too much and letting the constant moans and groans, the negative attitudes and the BS get to you. It is easy to get depressed about something when you are wallowing in it all the time. Sure things change, but it really isn't as bad as some would make out, usually those people are the ones who cannot for some reason comply with the requirements, as an example, lack of funds. I still find Thais the same as when I came here a couple of decades ago, you get back what you give in this life, maybe your lacking in the smile department.

You must live in a rural area! Because i noticed a helluva change in them in Pattaya over 14 years..before i eventually pulled the plug on it 2 years ago! Also..The OP stated he had only just found TV and the Forum,so obviously not read a lot of 'Moans And Groans'.

• Like 1

There are so many sensible words here, I’m not a blinded by their smiles any longer - but, how do you live in Krabi? I live I the south too, On the face of it, they are rude. I once heard it say “Southerners don’t suffer a fool”, which is correct. Couple that with living in a tourist resort town, I’d go crazy. 

What new regulations have we had in the past year? Only to keep 400,000 in the bank. 90 day report? I send the missus now, done within 20 mins. 

I keep myself to myself, keep busy at home, try to not to get wound up by the stupidity, bad service, filth, ignorance and intolerance. It could be worse, I could be back in the UK.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Thais smile at me at almost every shop, grocery, massage, 7-11, or bank I visit. 

You greet people and smile, they smile back.   

Never heard of someone going about their daily business and using the words "bringing lots of gifts" ?

Well said. Totally fed up with whiners and whingers. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

The gifts I am referring to is my money!. Money I spend at lots of small businesses. I'm their guest. Yes. But.. I am also their customer.

Is not a gift if you get something. 

7/11, big c, ptt, tesco say thank-you for your “gift” 

7 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

As for smiling.. I smile.. I'm a happy guy... I get the insincere smile back...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

When you leave, what country you will go to give the gifts?

12 minutes ago, Mansinthe said:

Dont think its a bad thing that expats are required to have health insurance and some money in thr bank to support yourself and your family.

You dont get into the EU/UK either without funds and healt insurance

Must buy gifts?

9 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

I get tired of hearing "we are a guest in this country". True... But it should be a 2-way deal! I'm a "guest" bringing lots of gifts.. Money to add to dozens or hundreds of small businesses! A little respect towards me would be welcome. A smile and thanks for a small tip would go a looooong way. Here in Krabi only half do this. The North has more manners. Attitudes towards me and other expats I know have gone right downhill.. fast! The lighthearted of Thai woman is just a memory now. Now I have to put up with aggressive and rude local people.

Five years in this abusive relationship with Thailand and I'm at the end of my rope. I'm lucky.. No wife.. Biggest asset.. A motorbike. I'll start selling up here. Again! 555. I keep coming back to my abuser.. Thailand.. and I get kicked in the balls on a regular basis!

In Thailand, the topic of visas, 90 day reports, tm30/tm28, health insurance and keeping up with all the ever-changing visa financial requirements is something I think about on a WEEKLY basis. I have to! In other countries I've been an expat in, the immigration topic was something I thought of once or twice a YEAR! Thailand is VERY stressful in this regard.

Thailand has seen its day. It's a sad place that's changed drastically since my arrival here in 2015. Even tourists I meet call this area a dirty s**t hole with rude people .. and they are only here 2 weeks! 555

Goodbye, you'll be missed.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well said some people just can't cope.

I have to agree. I don't know what other parts of the country are like, but I went to immigration today to do my 90 day report and paper work for a change of address and the IO couldn't have been any more helpful. I lived in Japan for a long time. I'd rather deal with Thai IO's.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Many of you guys are so callous.

Because you don't encounter issues in your own lives, you simply dismiss the many tens of thousands of farang expats who do have issues. 

Totally selfish philosophy. 

Some Thais leverage our callousness against our community in many ways. 

Bottom line, In Thailand, just like with hookers, your experience may vary.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Up here in the Northeast most people are friendly. In fact

I’ve not had a run in with anyone...  there’s one on the list

but that’s a different situation. 

It’s seems from posts the Immigration changes are causing 

some to be irritated to the point of losing sight of the reasons

they came and stayed here. 

A time may come when i will be forced to leave because of visa

requirements..., until then steady as we go

• Like 1