Too much immigration stress

1happykamper

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was very angry about a lying Thai woman and her thieving family. Since I left her and her horrid family I'm happy enough now.

Didn't have to relocate to divorce her.

Good. I'm glad you got away from an ugly situation. Life is too short.

2 minutes ago, JTXR said:

To me, the stress doesn't come from rule changes (that's to be expected).  And it doesn't really come even from the cost of living increases represented by rule changes.  It comes from the long periods of uncertainty about how TI will interpret the many rule changes and the inability to plan amid the uncertainty.

Amen to that!!

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Much more than 20 years. The beach was always rubbish too. I did stay there one night the first time, and then discovered Railay. Sadly Railay has been ruined as well. Seems that the greedies ruin everything soon as it gets popular.

I first went there over 26 years ago and it was fabulous. Then about last time was 17yrs ago and it was a dung hole. The beach was actually great over 26yrs ago. There was no hotel or build up and I can remember sitting late night with my friend on the beach laughing looking at the fabulous stars and watching the small crabs all over the beech come out of their holes paying like a tag running game. It was magical then, but not the last time.

14 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I first went there over 26 years ago and it was fabulous. Then about last time was 17yrs ago and it was a dung hole. The beach was actually great over 26yrs ago. There was no hotel or build up and I can remember sitting late night with my friend on the beach laughing looking at the fabulous stars and watching the small crabs all over the beech come out of their holes paying like a tag running game. It was magical then, but not the last time.

I must have just missed it then. There was a strip of restaurants/ bars etc along the beach road, and around the corner there was a cheap hotel I stayed at.

I didn't see the point of staying there as Pattaya was more exciting and Chaweng was a far superior beach, but I made a day trip to Railay and fell in love with it. Spent a few holidays there, and the last time I spent a month with a DDG girl. By then the valley on the east side was starting to be built up ( that cave was brilliant ). I was there during the wet season and the rain was spectacular while sitting in the veranda. I usually stayed at Railay village, before it went upmarket and horrible, and the frog chorus in the pond at night was wonderful.

Time to move on, and north east Phangan became the cheese.

Railay was wonderful when it was, and isn't now- sad.

40 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

All of life deals with uncertainty.  2 rule "changes" only:

Seasoning of money in the bank for all "retired" on Non-0  and the TM-30.

- Leave the 800K in the bank all year, done. 

- TM-30 of course now enforced.  If you have the time and money to travel, you have time to file a TM-30 when you get back home, done.   //

- Not for all "retired", only for those using the 800/400k method.

- TM30 still not enforced for retirees at Jomtien (and probably other places too)

58 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I must have just missed it then. There was a strip of restaurants/ bars etc along the beach road, and around the corner there was a cheap hotel I stayed at.

I didn't see the point of staying there as Pattaya was more exciting and Chaweng was a far superior beach, but I made a day trip to Railay and fell in love with it. Spent a few holidays there, and the last time I spent a month with a DDG girl. By then the valley on the east side was starting to be built up ( that cave was brilliant ). I was there during the wet season and the rain was spectacular while sitting in the veranda. I usually stayed at Railay village, before it went upmarket and horrible, and the frog chorus in the pond at night was wonderful.

Time to move on, and north east Phangan became the cheese.

Railay was wonderful when it was, and isn't now- sad.

Back then there were some restaurants and bungalows and really no build up at all. Nowadays way better places to go as that is washed up. Yes Back then Railay was fantastic and Chaweng and even Koh Lanta was out of this world spectacular. Not now. Good memories though!

6 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Once the foreigners start showing up in masses kiss paradise goodbye. The Thais have a knack at destroying the very thing that made a area popular. Cover every square inch in resorts , tacky gift shops, restaurants that charge ten times the price for watered down <deleted> food, loud bars, and as many greedy scammers as possible.

Once somewhere gets over run with immigrants, aliens, asylum seekers or foreigners in general the locals lose pride in the place and no longer regard it as part of their country.

They often move else where. In this case they do an Thai version of what we in the West call White Flight. The only ones that remain are those who find it financially beneficial to do so. That's why in places like Pattaya they are always clamouring for our money with their plastic smiles and entreaties.

Thais are naturally nationalistic and xenophobic. Now they have a military government and some people have become richer and the country more prosperous those qualities are beginning to become more apparent and are being encouraged and acted upon.

6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I have witnessed so many places destroyed by mass tourism. One reason i keep my places a secret. Like i said Thais have a knack for destroying things. Afterwards all the tourist slums look the same and attract the worst of the foreigners. Thailand lost the plot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Two questions....

Do you have a Thai spouse and what is your age? The answers will show us whether or not your life would be so stress free if you aren't in your 50's and don't have a Thai spouse. Many folks are older and single thus they have to play by different rules and have additional concerns. 

I am retired and have been happily married to a Thai woman, for going on 20 years. We have lived both here and in the States. I didn't come to Thailand in need of anything. I already had everything I needed.

I think one advantage I have is that I have married into a functional, self sufficient family. My wife's mother, and all my wife's siblings, are successful professionals. 

36 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Afterwards all the tourist slums look the same 

Not only in Thailand. 

Koh Lipe, Gili Islands, Cancun...all the same.

Many tourists don't even know where they are,  and they don't care.

Our staff once called us from Honolulu,  later it turned out he was in Kuala Lumpur, kind of the same. 

That's globalisation

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

I am retired and have been happily married to a Thai woman, for going on 20 years. We have lived both here and in the States. I didn't come to Thailand in need of anything. I already had everything I needed.

I think one advantage I have is that I have married into a functional, self sufficient family. My wife's mother, and all my wife's siblings, are successful professionals. 

Congratulations Curt. I'm quite sure many on this board wish they had what you do.

Krabi is the arm pit of Thailand, you could not pay me to live there.

Rude and unfriendly locals

I could not get out of there fast enough.

Why does the OP not know this?

Why is such a sensitive soul living there?

There are plenty of friendly places to live in Thailand.

Weird

Edited by toast1
  • Like 1